Welcome Toibu Lawal

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
Nearly 12 years ago Briante Weber was signed. Rhoades recruited him. His best attribute was his defense. Though some claimed he was a UVA offer, some even said he was a commit and backed out, some had claimed ODU also offered him, but he never mentioned them and their fans on here claimed they didn't offer him either.. his actual claims in his ramnation interview were not very highly rated programs. As a reminder, see here. He was a local player and had a rating albeit not very high on the scale. As an American, he could actually BE on the radar. He had exposure to a pretty well known AAU team. But ratings-wise and offers-wise, Bri was an underdog who found his way into Ram fans hearts by playing his ass off, making us scream, and personifying HAVOC as best he could.
Read my post a few pages back about British hoops and the lack of funding what looks like intentional kicking it to the curb.
There's something about the work ethic of an underdog. I see Tobi as the same kind of defensive underdog, but his underdog status is much deeper than many of us know. Nigerian Brit. RGL on twitter claims South London. Here in the states where he was capable of being noticed, I assume, less than a year. A good mid-major signed him. I have the feeling he's gonna put on for Ramnation, underdog style.
I'm here for seeing these players rise. I can say I've been treated to meeting many from day 1 on campus all the way thru to graduation and moving on to bigger and better, one playing his ass off in the NBA. I can only say I wish I'd have had the chance to meet Toibu. Watching such a relative unknown with what I'll say are some raw but pretty powerful skills hit the court.. I cannot wait.

He's not coming to let anyone down. I believe in the young man.

I'm especially happy about such a commit.

If I ever see a post of yours saying you aren’t happy with a commit I’m going to be quite concerned tbh as I consider you to be the most optimistic or one of the most optimistic fans here who I don’t think has posted anything remotely negative ever.

Sethjax

Elite Member
Might just be the kind of recruit we’ve been missing lately. Highly motivated, high motor, super intense. Truly what makes college basketball the best…you just have no idea of the kid is gonna be the next Larry Sanders or the next Gerron Scissum. Love his athleticism and his build. Now it’s up to the staff and to him to see what they can do from here.
Welcome young man.

Mistachill

Elite Member
Views of this thread by:
Outsiders- 16 pages and I read more about superstars that this HSer can/may be/should be/could be/ might be/ better not be/ compared to. I've read as many discussions about the posters as I have about the recruit. It sure sounds like the "surplus shortage" and "shipping problems" have effected the Ram Fans... I'm praying they find their Ritalin soon.

Insiders- 3 groups here. Same pessimists who have to remind the optimists that a 5* didn't sign. Same optimists who have to remind the pessimists that diamonds in the ruff have played at VCU and even won the Derby. Then there are the poor casual posters who just want to welcome and support the newest student athlete, but end up wondering WTF is going on.

Recruit and his family and friends- (five posts in) Wow!!! These fans are awesome! Wow!!! (ten posts in) What expectations?!?! Wow!!! (third page) Of course we know he hasn't PROVED anything to some of you yet!!! Was he required too?!?!? (fifth page) Wow!!! WTF is this BigHorn talking about? (sixth page) Wow!!! At least some of these fans have great sense of humors...especially DuncanLamb... I hope.

Me- DL compared a vertical jump to well-known athletes' vertical jump. Its what he does. Would it have made sense for him to mention the vertical of someone that nobody knows??? Its really not inaccurate, but certainly NOT worth screwing up a WELCOME THREAD. I know its harmless bantor, but its truly not fair for fans and family of the recruit. PS thank god for McBride, VCUMVC and VCURam to allow me to laugh through this crap.

Welcome to our newest Dr. J.
Actually, I think DL mentioned something about quick twitch muscle. Also, how many people in the forum even know who Gus Johnson is much less have ever seen him?

Basically in my mind your post illustrates one thing: balance. What's wrong with that?

Last edited:

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Actually, I think DL mentioned something about quick twitch muscle. Also, how many people in the forum even know who Gus Johnson is much less have ever seen him?

Basically in my mind your post illustrates one thing: balance. What's wrong with that?
I’m not sure I’ve even seen anyone say that it was a bad move to sign Lawal. The closest things to negative I’ve seen have been puzzlement about how he received so few offers and a wait-and-see approach. If there’s any lack of balance in the response to this here, then it’s in the positive direction with people making comparisons after only seeing a few minutes of highlights.

2012Ram

Elite Member
Man it's been since Medley-Bacon that I got to pull this bad boy out!

results

I think i might have bingo already too

rammad90

Elite Member
Nearly 12 years ago Briante Weber was signed. Rhoades recruited him. His best attribute was his defense. Though some claimed he was a UVA offer, some even said he was a commit and backed out, some had claimed ODU also offered him, but he never mentioned them and their fans on here claimed they didn't offer him either.. his actual claims in his ramnation interview were not very highly rated programs. As a reminder, see here. He was a local player and had a rating albeit not very high on the scale. As an American, he could actually BE on the radar. He had exposure to a pretty well known AAU team. But ratings-wise and offers-wise, Bri was an underdog who found his way into Ram fans hearts by playing his ass off, making us scream, and personifying HAVOC as best he could.
Read my post a few pages back about British hoops and the lack of funding what looks like intentional kicking it to the curb.
There's something about the work ethic of an underdog. I see Tobi as the same kind of defensive underdog, but his underdog status is much deeper than many of us know. Nigerian Brit. RGL on twitter claims South London. Here in the states where he was capable of being noticed, I assume, less than a year. A good mid-major signed him. I have the feeling he's gonna put on for Ramnation, underdog style.
I'm here for seeing these players rise. I can say I've been treated to meeting many from day 1 on campus all the way thru to graduation and moving on to bigger and better, one playing his ass off in the NBA. I can only say I wish I'd have had the chance to meet Toibu. Watching such a relative unknown with what I'll say are some raw but pretty powerful skills hit the court.. I cannot wait.

He's not coming to let anyone down. I believe in the young man.
MM I always love your enthusiasm, unabashed support of the players. You bleed black and gold and that's a good thing.

Go Rams!

rammad90

Elite Member
KId's got skills you cannot teach. Now on to the fundamentals. If his attitude is right and he's a gamer he will be just fine.

If we want him, why should be care who else wanted him? Seriously, I am always baffled at why we have to validate our choices based on some P5/6 programs choices.

Welcome aboard young man , and just like everyone else on the team, work your butt off and you will be rewarded.

Sethjax

Elite Member
They saw a bit of Hason Ward in him....uh, yeah...both started playing basketball later on than most; both long and lanky and dripping with athleticism; and from what the bread crumb trail has led me to believe is that maybe this guy is just wired a bit more in line with what they want than Ward. Not knocking Ward...he was very good at what he did, but he was a quieter kid and sometimes that translates into maybe a little more passive or less driven to work maniacally at your craft than others. If Lawal is wired a bit more aggressively and has the will and want to outwork the other guy than he could really become something special in time.