Welcome Toibu Lawal

ISwamRam

Elite Member
They saw a bit of Hason Ward in him....uh, yeah...both started playing basketball later on than most; both long and lanky and dripping with athleticism; and from what the bread crumb trail has led me to believe is that maybe this guy is just wired a bit more in line with what they want than Ward. Not knocking Ward...he was very good at what he did, but he was a quieter kid and sometimes that translates into maybe a little more passive or less driven to work maniacally at your craft than others. If Lawal is wired a bit more aggressively and has the will and want to outwork the other guy than he could really become something special in time.
Just needs to bring some of that soccer 'hooligan' mentality with him and he'll fit right in w/ the BSB.

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
I am a strong advocate of kids playing soccer as early as possible. Generally, people that play soccer and transfer to basketball or basketball have really good footwork
And there's the running track thing. Kid's obviously physically developed. Roose is about to take that to another level .

Mistachill

Elite Member
I’m not sure I’ve even seen anyone say that it was a bad move to sign Lawal. The closest things to negative I’ve seen have been puzzlement about how he received so few offers and a wait-and-see approach. If there’s any lack of balance in the response to this here, then it’s in the positive direction with people making comparisons after only seeing a few minutes of highlights.
Exactly. It's curious how being measured for very legit reasons is considered being negative but it is totally acceptable to be excessively positive over a couple of dunk videos against unknown competition. There is more to being a ball player than having a tremendous vertical. I think it was Richard Ross (no, not Rick Ross :D) who played for ODU several years ago who had off the chain hops but was never more than just a solid player.

For the record, he sounds like a very intriguing prospect who could pay significant dividends in the future if he continues to develop. I think very few people have posted being against the signing. But even with more info coming out about him he's still a big mystery. And it's been confirmed in the article that video of him was sent to coaches to get him more exposure and it resulted in a visit to Montana State and offers from Central Connecticut State and Cal State Northridge.

Again, none of this means he can't become a tremendous player for VCU and he is certainly welcome here as far as I'm concerned. But you're not being at all objective if you think we should have the same level of enthusiasm that we have for both Billups and Fermin. And even with those two I'm in "wait and see" mode.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
Well, if he is anything like Shaquille Walters who also came from London Academy and on the Lee Academy squad, then I will be happy.

Mistachill

Elite Member
Well, if he is anything like Shaquille Walters who also came from London Academy and on the Lee Academy squad, then I will be happy.
Reminds me of what people said about Randy White. Not the hall of famer who played for the Cowboys. Randy White, a lottery pick in 1989 who people were hoping would be the next Karl Malone because they were the same size and played at Louisiana Tech.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
Reminds me of what people said about Randy White. Not the hall of famer who played for the Cowboys. Randy White, a lottery pick in 1989 who people were hoping would be the next Karl Malone because they were the same size and played at Louisiana Tech.
I was speaking of his annual progress and development of the course of his college career.