Welcome Toibu Lawal

Ram14

Elite Member
Insider
There is also the "tile" test regarding height. :lol:
We lost the true tile test when they tore down FSG. It was a wall there and players in front of it when I first invoked it and actually was giving measurements of those old tiles and the grout. That was so far back and the BDC interferred. I guess we have to come up with a new BDC measurement guide or just use Brent Scott as our guide and subtract from there. ( I did hear last winter that he said Fermin was about eye to eye). I think we will always enjoy Tile Talk when evaluating recruits.

asledd

Insider
Personally love this use for the last scholly. Sounds like a kid with lots of upside who will only get better by being at VCU. If it takes a year or two of getting spot minutes to realize he doesn't fit at this level that's fine. If he turns out to be a monster who just needed practice to learn the finer points, even better.

rammad90

Elite Member
Personally love this use for the last scholly. Sounds like a kid with lots of upside who will only get better by being at VCU. If it takes a year or two of getting spot minutes to realize he doesn't fit at this level that's fine. If he turns out to be a monster who just needed practice to learn the finer points, even better.
Agreed. We were never going to get a true replacement for Ward. Upper classmen with experience arent looking to come here. As we are a guard oriented program.

We have to grow our own.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
That actually is interesting. It's good to see that Teddy is still connected to the program despite transferring out. (He's now having a pretty decent pro career in the UK.)
Coach should have him come back and talk to the team about how he regrets not being patient and transferring out

RAMification

Elite Member
Great article. With Toibu's approach to the game and his obvious very high ceiling he may end-up being an outright steal. It's all about putting in the time and working on his skill-set with Brent. The athleticism is already off the charts. I knew he played Soccer but apparently he played Track as well. Both will serve him well on the hardwood.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Great article. With Toibu's approach to the game and his obvious very high ceiling he may end-up being an outright steal. It's all about putting in the time and working on his skill-set with Brent. The athleticism is already off the charts. I knew he played Soccer but apparently he played Track as well. Both will serve him well on the hardwood.
Soccer and track experience makes for a very agile basketball player. Like I said earlier in the thread he seems like Ward with a lot of additional upside and a higher ceiling.

rammad90

Elite Member
what about Johns?
What about him?

Johns may work at this level but his numbers dont suggest he will. He does have the skill set. However, 3 points 2 rebounds 36% fg and 29 % 3 pt, shooting 71% from the line doesnt suggest we replaced Ward.

6.5 points, 4.8 rebounds, 1.5 blocks and some state that Hason Ward wasnt very good.

John's numbers look like less than half of Ward's. Plus Ward was a rim protector 1.5 blocks to John's .03 x 5.

Last edited:

Ramlove81

Elite Member
What about him?

Johns may work at this level but his numbers dont suggest he will. He does have the skill set. However, 3 points 2 rebounds 36% fg and 29 % 3 pt, shooting 71% from the line doesnt suggest we replaced Ward.

6.5 points, 4.8 rebounds, 1.5 blocks and some state that Hason Ward wasnt very good.

John's numbers look like less than half of Ward's. Plus Ward was a rim protector 1.5 blocks to John's .03 x 5.
My expectation of Johns is that he will exceed Ward's numbers in everything but blocks. Take a good look at his skill set, his athleticism and the opportunity he has at VCU for more minutes than he has ever played at that school up north. He can more than handle things down low with any 4 in the A10, can shoot the 3 okay if not great, can drive to the basket, post up, is quick and strong. He's a match up nightmare in the A10. When he got the chance to play with that school up north (yes I live in Ohio now) he showed he could.