Welcome Toibu Lawal

rammad90

Elite Member
My expectation of Johns is that he will exceed Ward's numbers in everything but blocks. Take a good look at his skill set, his athleticism and the opportunity he has at VCU for more minutes than he has ever played at that school up north. He can more than handle things down low with any 4 in the A10, can shoot the 3 okay if not great, can drive to the basket, post up, is quick and strong. He's a match up nightmare in the A10. When he got the chance to play with that school up north (yes I live in Ohio now) he showed he could.
He might exceed the numbers and I fully expect him to do so. However, my point was on bigs VCU will have to grow their own. John's at his best will be Jamie Skeen who was very good but not really a rim protecting big.

John's might be the same but he wont be Ward and he wont bring what Ward or what Lawal will bring.

We need guys like Lawal as we wont get true ready to play bigs in the transfer protocol. We have to grow our own.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
I know the overall Michigan stats show otherwise, but Johns is Stockard on steroids.

Mike Rhoades stated during the this week's meet and greet at "The Rusty Taco" that John's was an inside out guy so more like Skeen. He also stated that we have not had one of those in a long time and would play a huge part in our offense.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
He might exceed the numbers and I fully expect him to do so. However, my point was on bigs VCU will have to grow their own. John's at his best will be Jamie Skeen who was very good but not really a rim protecting big.

John's might be the same but he wont be Ward and he wont bring what Ward or what Lawal will bring.

We need guys like Lawal as we wont get true ready to play bigs in the transfer protocol. We have to grow our own.
True thus we have Deloach coming back and Fermin coming in. The 4 position has seldom been a rim protecting position for us. What we get in Rim protecting from the 4 is a bonus. BTW, I think combined Deloach and Fermin will also surpass Wards numbers, including blocks. We will be okay inside this year.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
True thus we have Deloach coming back and Fermin coming in. The 4 position has seldom been a rim protecting position for us. What we get in Rim protecting from the 4 is a bonus. BTW, I think combined Deloach and Fermin will also surpass Wards numbers, including blocks. We will be okay inside this year.
We always seem to get inside rim protection no matter who is at the 4 & 5. No doubt Ward had an elite ability, but he also picked up a lot of fouls and didn’t always have the level of availability to match. The blocks I am worried about missing are Vince’s, and the steals, deflections, charges taken, shots altered…….Every departure from last season has been matched and arguably exceeded, except one. It will take a village, and a step up in coaching to replace Vince’s contributions.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
We always seem to get inside rim protection no matter who is at the 4 & 5. No doubt Ward had an elite ability, but he also picked up a lot of fouls and didn’t always have the level of availability to match. The blocks I am worried about missing are Vince’s, and the steals, deflections, charges taken, shots altered…….Every departure from last season has been matched and arguably exceeded, except one. It will take a village, and a step up in coaching to replace Vince’s contributions.
There are many reasons both the metrics and the eye test have said our defense has been very good to elite the past several years, one of which just graduated. There was some discussion on here about what Vince was great at, what would be his calling card for the pros - Vince is a GREAT defensive player. It's both cliché and difficult to quantify, but the measure of how well he played for us was very often what didn't happen on the court rather than what did.

Last edited:

rammad90

Elite Member
That wasnt the original comparison. I stated that we should grow our own bigs as we are unlikely to get a true big better than Ward to ttransfer in.

As such, glad to see you agree Fermin, Deloach, and Lawal are kids we recruited. Thus we are growing our own.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
We should definitely have fewer moving screens with Ward gone. He was good for one of those about every game.
Michigan's offense, like many big 10 offenses, heavily uses single and double screens to free their shooters coming around on curls.

Given that Brandon Johns spent 4 years in the offense, he understands how to do it properly.

Michigan's offense, like many big 10 offenses, heavily uses single and double screens to free their shooters coming around on curls.

Given that Brandon Johns spent 4 years in the offense, he understands how to do it properly.
little considered fact is the dribbler in these pick n rolls is often just as responsible as the screener as the reason for the foul being called
if the dribbler leaves too much room for the defender to get over the top the odds go up that the screener (Ward) gets called for illegal screen, even if a legal screen

to me Ward's fouling problem were reach fouls too far away from the basket (his fouls trying to block shots or defend bigs on the block are the type of fouls I think are appropriate but the reach fouls on dribbles 35-45 feet from baskets are never acceptable for a Big)

go Rams and good luck Hasan with the Cyclones (unless we play them!!!)

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
little considered fact is the dribbler in these pick n rolls is often just as responsible as the screener as the reason for the foul being called
if the dribbler leaves too much room for the defender to get over the top the odds go up that the screener (Ward) gets called for illegal screen, even if a legal screen

to me Ward's fouling problem were reach fouls too far away from the basket (his fouls trying to block shots or defend bigs on the block are the type of fouls I think are appropriate but the reach fouls on dribbles 35-45 feet from baskets are never acceptable for a Big)

go Rams and good luck Hasan with the Cyclones (unless we play them!!!)
You are right about the ball handler’s responsibilities, but it is hard to know who is at fault without knowing the call….like is the screener suppossed to hold the screen, slip the screen, hold and roll, etc…. Fact is, whatever the call, it was a problem in general and for Hason it seemed footwork was an issue on the perimeter and on the post. Whatever the case those types of fouls are maddening and avoidable, hope we clean them up.