Welcome Toibu Lawal

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Pretty sure I read that Lawal had a standing vertical of 38 when VCU landed him. I have a feeling VCU will let us know his vertical stats for standing and running. Seems like a good thing for his bio.
They can let us know, but if they claim anything close to a 50 inch vertical with that setup then they’re blowing some smoke.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
They can let us know, but if they claim anything close to a 50 inch vertical with that setup then they’re blowing some smoke.
I have no idea. He is 6'9 and I have seen him almost look down at the rim in one highlight. He can get up.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I have no idea. He is 6'9 and I have seen him almost look down at the rim in one highlight. He can get up.
He can definitely get up and he can definitely get his head close to the rim. But the taller you are and the more standing reach you have, then the lower your vertical is when you make that jump. The guys getting close to 50 inch vertical measurements are 6-10 inches shorter with standing reaches that are 8-12+ inches shorter and they’re hitting several bars/inches higher on the vertical measurIng device. At his height and reach, he’d be touching the top of the backboard with a 50 inch vertical. And VCU would definitely be posting videos if he could do that.

RamDanFan

Elite Member
He can definitely get up and he can definitely get his head close to the rim. But the taller you are and the more standing reach you have, then the lower your vertical is when you make that jump. The guys getting close to 50 inch vertical measurements are 6-10 inches shorter with standing reaches that are 8-12+ inches shorter and they’re hitting several bars/inches higher on the vertical measurIng device. At his height and reach, he’d be touching the top of the backboard with a 50 inch vertical. And VCU would definitely be posting videos if he could do that.

The Goat before there was a G.O.A.T.! Loved that movie! 52 inches at 6’1”.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Just the top of his head touching the rim would be 39. I've seen him actually at eye level or a little higher a couple of times on video. That's got to be 3+ inches more, so at least 42 and that's in game conditions.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
That would put Toni’s standing reach at 8.5 inches more than Rivera’s. There is definitely going to be an inch or two variation in either direction.

If Toni is 6’8 (80 inches) and his standing reach is 1.33 times his height, then his standing reach would be 8 feet 10.4 inches (106.4 inches). If he jumped and touched 11 feet 9 inches (141 inches), then that makes his vertical on that 34.6 inches.

Using the same calculations on Rivera:
Height: 73.5 inches
Standing Reach: 97.75 inches
Height Touched: 144 inches
Vertical Leap: 46.25 inches
Claimed Vertical Leap: 50 inches

So, they’re either fudging on his height or his vertical… or more likely he has fairly short arms compared to average (1.28 times his height instead of 1.33).

If Toni’s arms are comparably shorter than the average quoted in that article, then that raises the vertical leap on that jump to 38.7 inches.

I would revise my guess on that vertical (assuming the setup is standard like it appears to be) to be somewhere in the 34-39 inch range.
Well done sir. 38.7 in your analysis and 38.6 in the video below.

rammad90

Elite Member
If he is 38-39 in the gym. With adrenaline purpling he'd probably top out 43. The thing is he's 6'8. Not sure about his wingspan or standing reach. But even if he is slightly about average he should be able to block a lot of shots and alter many more

Last edited:

SteveMM

Elite Member
If he is 38-39 in the gym. With adrenaline purpling he'd probably top out 43. The thing is he's 6'8. Not sure about his wingspan or standing. But even if he is slightly about average he should be able to block a lot of shots and alter many more
In our latest episode of Rams Rewind, his prep coach said he's at least 6'9''.