Welcome Toibu Lawal

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
It wouldn't be surprising because I cannot remember a recent year that we have had the same 5 people start every game. This happens due to injuries, illnesses, family emergencies, missed classes, a rise and fall in individual play/production, matchups,.. OR a bad stretch and we need to shake things up.
I was curious and went into the wayback machine

Hard to discern "starts" so went with "starters minutes", which I figure is about 25 minutes per game....38 in Olean

2017-2018 (Tillman/Jenkins/Williams/Vann/Crowfield) all over 25 minutes (Crow averaged 24)
2011-2012 (Big Shot Brad/Theus/Reddic/Rob B/Troy) all over 25 minutes (Troy 24.4)
2010-2011 (Finally....Brad/JRod/Skeen/BRozz/Chef) all 25 minutes per game (That was also the year DJ Haley got tipoff starts)
2003-2004 (Dom Jones/Godwin/George/BA Walker/JPR/Doles) all 25+ JPR/Doles 24-ish...Harper at 20

We are all used to MR's hockey lineup changes, Shaka seemed more prone to leaning on a core 5/6...That being said MR's teams had WAY MORE talent top to bottom than any of the Shaka teams. Kind of an interesting topic for these lean weeks leading up to actual basketball.

SteveMM

Elite Member
2010-2011 (Finally....Brad/JRod/Skeen/BRozz/Chef) all 25 minutes per game (That was also the year DJ Haley got tipoff starts)
Taking the convo back to Tobi Lawal, I do wonder if there's any chance they start him out there for tipoffs. He'll be the highest leaper in the building on the vast majority of nights. With Ward gone, to me the next best options are DeLoach or Fermin. I'm not sure either of them would be better than Lawal.

GuardTheArc

Elite Member
I was curious and went into the wayback machine

Hard to discern "starts" so went with "starters minutes", which I figure is about 25 minutes per game....38 in Olean

2017-2018 (Tillman/Jenkins/Williams/Vann/Crowfield) all over 25 minutes (Crow averaged 24)
2011-2012 (Big Shot Brad/Theus/Reddic/Rob B/Troy) all over 25 minutes (Troy 24.4)
2003-2004 (Dom Jones/Godwin/George/BA Walker/JPR/Doles) all 25+ JPR/Doles 24-ish...Harper at 20

We are all used to MR's hockey lineup changes, Shaka seemed more prone to leaning on a core 5/6...That being said MR's teams had WAY MORE talent top to bottom than any of the Shaka teams. Kind of an interesting topic for these lean weeks leading up to actual basketball.

Pssst.........no.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Taking the convo back to Tobi Lawal, I do wonder if there's any chance they start him out there for tipoffs. He'll be the highest leaper in the building on the vast majority of nights. With Ward gone, to me the next best options are DeLoach or Fermin. I'm not sure either of them would be better than Lawal.
Nah... the tipoff in college basketball isn’t important with alternating possessions.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Nah... the tipoff in college basketball isn’t important with alternating possessions.
Yeah, maybe in OT. Otherwise I doubt it unless he was going to start anyway, which I don't see happening this year.

Ram14

Elite Member
Insider
Agree, and even before that I had a friend who was a D2 PG and his coach sent him out to jump against Ralph Sampson instead of his center- I actaully think this was strategy since they were not getting the tip but the center could be back protecting the basket. Shaka used to start DJ Haley and then take him out at the first whistle. I often thought it was a a dual purpose of one protecting a first couple minutes foul by Redick and also psycologically having our team look bigger to open the game. All that aside, I agree with you Heel that we won't change our lineup for the tip.