Votes: 0 0.0%
  • High A10 finish, Deep run/ Win A10 tourney, National Champions

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • GFY

Votes: 19 21.3%

• Total voters

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
It will come down to one thing: team chemistry. We're loaded w/ talent so the question will be, will everyone buy into their role? If we gel, the winning will be easy.
I honestly think Health & also Rust (in terms of McAllister & Ace when he comes back) will be more of a factor than team chemistry.

Main reason is, we got A LOT of guys returning and unlike a previous year where there was behind the scenes drama lurking... there did not seem to be that issue last year and we only lost 3 key players. While McAllister couldn't play due to injury last year.... he had plenty of time getting to know his teammates of course, and I think if he was worried about his role he would've transferred during the off season.

Now sure.... the new guys coming in will have to work on their chemistry with the returning guys... but I think we'll be fine honestly.

I'm more worried bout injuires & Covid affecting our season.

RAM_IT

Elite Member
I'm just going to sit back, enjoy a honey bun with a nice cold one before every game and enjoy the show.

My two main thoughts are how the coaches can put a surprisingly experienced lineup on the floor (Tsohonis and Stockard will have a big role in keeping the team level on the floor early on I predict) and how this has got to be the most talented VCU team ever. Probably not the best but crazy potential all around.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
Devastizione for the good guys! Different players stepping up cresendoing into a championship this year, may not be a Natty but we'll take it. I'd like to see a preseason championship in my life. I guess the last one I witnessed was the TDI-T back in the early 80's? And I think we can envision a conference tournament championship. I think Mike Rhoades is the best coach in the league! And while I'm full of it, I know I know, Cresehendo!

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
I appreciate having two voting options so as to pick what I hope/expect and, of course, the good ol GFY option.

It's already been said....but Chemistry/Ace's status/PG status while he's out

Some years I'm just hopin for a Top 4 finish and maybe 20 wins. This team? Clearly a preseason top 3 situation with a ton of depth and (rightfully so) NCAA aspirations.

Marcus Tsohonis has got to be the straw that stirs the drink from game #1....and by most accounts he seems ready and able to do that. The frontcourt on this team is filthy good and someone needs to facilitate that.
A Bones-i-fied threat from 3 point range has to be a thing this year or defense will collapse on the aforementioned frontcourt....lookin at you Josh Banks
And, an opinion as old as the GFY option, turnovers turnovers turnovers......we were able to see our collective FT shooting improve (who saw THAT comin??) so now let's hope for smart and competent ball management!!
I'd also like to see our guys play well vs the big boy teams at the fancy tournament thingies.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
1. The poll is obviously flawed; it doesn't have an "undefeated" option.

2. As Share says, we will be favorites in all but a handful of games this year, as we are every year.

3. In most years, our struggle has been to maximize the value of our best players and paper over weaknesses. This year, we really have an abundance of talent at all 5 spots; the challenge will be maintaining consistency while playing so many inexperienced players.

4. So much depends on the newcomers. If Tso can contribute offensively and we get quality minutes out of DeLoach and Kern, the team could be scary good by February.

5. If we end up .500 (or close to .500) this place will be a nightmare. Fortunately, there is almost no chance of that happening.

I say top 4 in conference, NCAA at large, one win (+) in the NCAAT

I appreciate having two voting options so as to pick what I hope/expect and, of course, the good ol GFY option.

It's already been said....but Chemistry/Ace's status/PG status while he's out

Some years I'm just hopin for a Top 4 finish and maybe 20 wins. This team? Clearly a preseason top 3 situation with a ton of depth and (rightfully so) NCAA aspirations.

Marcus Tsohonis has got to be the straw that stirs the drink from game #1....and by most accounts he seems ready and able to do that. The frontcourt on this team is filthy good and someone needs to facilitate that.
A Bones-i-fied threat from 3 point range has to be a thing this year or defense will collapse on the aforementioned frontcourt....lookin at you Josh Banks
And, an opinion as old as the GFY option, turnovers turnovers turnovers......we were able to see our collective FT shooting improve (who saw THAT comin??) so now let's hope for smart and competent ball management!!
I'd also like to see our guys play well vs the big boy teams at the fancy tournament thingies.
Baldwin was solid and you obviously want him available, but what you lose not having him maybe made up in other areas with more size. Nunn is a high level recruit, he could have a freshman year equivalent to Baldwin, or better. Tsohonis can help facilitate. Watkins and VW are versatile and can help in that area as well. Ward hasn’t shown a classic post game, scores on lobs, balls coming off the rim, and dishes off of drives.

We may not have a Troy Daniels or Hyland, but MT, JW, VW, Banks, maybe MBJ and potentially other could be capable. Could have 3 or 4 guys that have some respect from the defense from three.

Tsohonis seems like a good player. I doubt he is good enough to carry the team on his shoulders. I think expecting that will lower the teams ceiling.

I think this is a different roster than VCU are used to and different from MRs previous teams. More size across the board, pretty athletic, versatile players. If they play downhill they should be good. If they are content to rotate the ball around the perimeter and shoot 3s, they won’t be as good.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Baldwin was solid and you obviously want him available, but what you lose not having him maybe made up in other areas with more size. Nunn is a high level recruit, he could have a freshman year equivalent to Baldwin, or better. Tsohonis can help facilitate. Watkins and VW are versatile and can help in that area as well. Ward hasn’t shown a classic post game, scores on lobs, balls coming off the rim, and dishes off of drives.

We may not have a Troy Daniels or Hyland, but MT, JW, VW, Banks, maybe MBJ and potentially other could be capable. Could have 3 or 4 guys that have some respect from the defense from three.

Tsohonis seems like a good player. I doubt he is good enough to carry the team on his shoulders. I think expecting that will lower the teams ceiling.

I think this is a different roster than VCU are used to and different from MRs previous teams. More size across the board, pretty athletic, versatile players. If they play downhill they should be good. If they are content to rotate the ball around the perimeter and shoot 3s, they won’t be as good.
If Nunn is even close to as good as Ace (hearing all the right things so far) we should be really good. Ace played like a young Kyle Lowry.

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member

I'm with you on all that....I really think that last statement is painfully true......I'd love to not see our Rams rely constantly on the "pass around the horn and back" before activating plays or just jacking up a 3. When Bones or Treveon or TD were here? Sure, but there's too much talent on this team to settle for that and I'm sure MR and Staff are lickin their chops at taking on teams and killing them with 8-10 players who never seem to get tired.

Havoc City

Elite Member
Other than MRs first year(they were OK), the offense hasn’t been very good. The Defense has been quite good that run. They have some length and athleticism for sure, and probably the most physical group MR has had. If they commit to being a good rebounding team, they have the roster to do it I think. If the offense isn’t Lakers-Celtics, it shouldn’t matter. They should be able to run or push most of the A10 out of the gym. That big guy at UMASS was probably the only individual player we wouldn’t have an answer for and he transferred to Texas. Outside shooting may surprise across the the board.

I think the will be in tight race for the league title.
He was tough while he was playing, but I remember us running him off the floor.