Votes: 1 1.1%
  • High A10 finish, Deep run/ Win A10 tourney, Semi finals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • High A10 finish, Deep run/ Win A10 tourney, National Champions

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • GFY

Votes: 19 21.3%

• Total voters
I'm all about keeping things 100 here. If Ace doesn't return, I do not see us in the tournament. We were a 10 seed with one of the best players in all of college and he is clearly not returning. I am very optimistic about the future of this team though with the future recruiting classes in mind. I just don't see us being any better than last year. A lot of players are getting better which is great, but Ace really holds this team together without Bones. You can argue that Nunn will be better than Ace, but there games seem to differ. Ace is more of the true pg no question, so I feel he would be our leader.

Will we at least be better than our down the street rivals? Yes, I still see that.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I'm all about keeping things 100 here. If Ace doesn't return, I do not see us in the tournament. We were a 10 seed with one of the best players in all of college and he is clearly not returning. I am very optimistic about the future of this team though with the future recruiting classes in mind. I just don't see us being any better than last year. A lot of players are getting better which is great, but Ace really holds this team together without Bones. You can argue that Nunn will be better than Ace, but there games seem to differ. Ace is more of the true pg no question, so I feel he would be our leader.

Will we at least be better than our down the street rivals? Yes, I still see that.
He is clearly not returning?

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Bones is clearly not returning.

But with that cleared up, I very much disagree. We were a 10 seed last year with one of the youngest rosters in the country. All those promising freshmen are sophomores now, and the biggest jump usually comes between the first and second year. Ace being hurt definitely lowered the floor, but any incremental improvement at all combined with a halfway decent grip on turnovers should lead to a pretty comfortable 10 seed again. I think we're at least as good as last year, and possibly a lot better by the end of the regular season.

Last edited:

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider
We may not have a Troy Daniels or Hyland, but MT, JW, VW, Banks, maybe MBJ and potentially other could be capable. Could have 3 or 4 guys that have some respect from the defense from three.

Jimmy Nichols jr. shot 40.9% from 3 last hear at providence and Tshonis led the Pac 12 in 3 pt shooting %.

Jimmy Nichols jr. shot 40.9% from 3 last hear at providence and Tshonis led the Pac 12 in 3 pt shooting %.
Nichols didn’t play a lot or shoot many, so that is still a little unknown. A big that could stretch the d would be great though. There is no doubt MT is more that capable from three. He averaged 3.2 attempts per game. Hyland shot 7.5 a game and Troy 8.6. There were a lot of fruitless possessions were they were jacking long ones, and they were still very efficient, which is hard to do particularly with the attention they got. We don’t have shooters like that. Last year VCU was below average from 3 in all respects. Even without an elite shooter, they may be better from 3 this year as a team.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
I think our game plan does not lend itself to being a great shooting team even with great shooters. Our game plan is to be in better shape than the opposition and then to tire them out as the game goes on. Using our speed we defend (like crazy) and then attempt to get into transition on the offensive end (would like to see stats on how many of our baskets are actually transition baskets). Our intend by working so hard is to tire the opposition out, get in transition and get more shots off than the opposition. But moving so fast, makes it difficult at times to get the ball to fall (I think that was a criticism of MSS uncle) vs a slower, plodding game and work the ball with play to get an open shot.
Bones was an exception because he took and made shots from so far out where you rarely have someone defending you. I think our philosophy is that we will take more shots than you and run you ragged so that late in the game you will have less of an ability to defend us and our shots will be more open, both inside and out. (although admittedly, there were games last season where the opposite occurred and we gave up great leads and came up empty-handed).
What would really help us is if we have multiple good shooters, inside and out. I think we may have that this year with Tsohonis, Williams, Ward and Banks on the outside with Ward, Levi, Nichols and MBJ on the inside. This will allow us to better spread the shooting around which makes defending us even more difficult, especially in transition.

sometimes experience is a two way street (MR's worst season was his third with all those returning players that won the conference the prior year and that did not turn out very well)
Experience only matters if players are constantly trying to learn and get better each day (at least at the A10 level) - give me a hungry group of athletes with competition each day at the BDC and I am a happy fan
I might be wrong, but what I saw that third year was a strong start with a two-platoon system. Both teams had good chemistry and the second team was as good or better than the first. Then, due to injuries, the two teams were broken up and the chemistry was lost.

VCUPepBandRules

Elite Member
My expectations? The band is going to rock that joint!

We've got a lot of new faces, and it seems that even more show up at every rehearsal but there's a ton of talent and they're picking up on the carts quickly. I'm also excited that Levi stuck around so he can experience The Stu in its full glory since he only had my word for it in the classes we had...

hairystrawberry

Elite Member
I’m going with an optimistic view for this season. 100% healthy and playing tight late in the season. Make the NCAAs and then who knows what may happen (see March 2021). The GFY choice was veeeeeery tempting! LOL

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
My expectations? The band is going to rock that joint!

We've got a lot of new faces, and it seems that even more show up at every rehearsal but there's a ton of talent and they're picking up on the carts quickly. I'm also excited that Levi stuck around so he can experience The Stu in its full glory since he only had my word for it in the classes we had...
Very excited to hear this. You guys do, in fact, rule!