• High A10 finish, Deep run/ Win A10 tourney, National Champions

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • GFY

Votes: 19 21.3%

• Total voters

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider
I think our game plan does not lend itself to being a great shooting team even with great shooters. Our game plan is to be in better shape than the opposition and then to tire them out as the game goes on. Using our speed we defend (like crazy) and then attempt to get into transition on the offensive end (would like to see stats on how many of our baskets are actually transition baskets). Our intend by working so hard is to tire the opposition out, get in transition and get more shots off than the opposition. But moving so fast, makes it difficult at times to get the ball to fall (I think that was a criticism of MSS uncle) vs a slower, plodding game and work the ball with play to get an open shot.
Bones was an exception because he took and made shots from so far out where you rarely have someone defending you. I think our philosophy is that we will take more shots than you and run you ragged so that late in the game you will have less of an ability to defend us and our shots will be more open, both inside and out. (although admittedly, there were games last season where the opposite occurred and we gave up great leads and came up empty-handed).
What would really help us is if we have multiple good shooters, inside and out. I think we may have that this year with Tsohonis, Williams, Ward and Banks on the outside with Ward, Levi, Nichols and MBJ on the inside. This will allow us to better spread the shooting around which makes defending us even more difficult, especially in transition.

Great analysis!!

I think our game plan does not lend itself to being a great shooting team even with great shooters. Our game plan is to be in better shape than the opposition and then to tire them out as the game goes on. Using our speed we defend (like crazy) and then attempt to get into transition on the offensive end (would like to see stats on how many of our baskets are actually transition baskets). Our intend by working so hard is to tire the opposition out, get in transition and get more shots off than the opposition. But moving so fast, makes it difficult at times to get the ball to fall (I think that was a criticism of MSS uncle) vs a slower, plodding game and work the ball with play to get an open shot.
Bones was an exception because he took and made shots from so far out where you rarely have someone defending you. I think our philosophy is that we will take more shots than you and run you ragged so that late in the game you will have less of an ability to defend us and our shots will be more open, both inside and out. (although admittedly, there were games last season where the opposite occurred and we gave up great leads and came up empty-handed).
What would really help us is if we have multiple good shooters, inside and out. I think we may have that this year with Tsohonis, Williams, Ward and Banks on the outside with Ward, Levi, Nichols and MBJ on the inside. This will allow us to better spread the shooting around which makes defending us even more difficult, especially in transition.
Poor shooting is not an indicator of anything other than poor shooting and not getting good looks. VCUs pace of play is really more of an urban legend at this point. Last year VCU was 314th in the nation in FG attempts with 54.1. Our opponents averaged 54.0. No advantage. Why? VCU was +2 in turnovers and -2.1 in offensive rebounding. A wash in possessions. The only MR team that enjoyed any real advantage with FG attempts and possessions was 2 years ago, the worst team in recent memory.

Will Wade teams had a reasonable advantage in these areas, and Shaka’s teams his last 4 years had a huge advantage, and it was a good way to mask lack of shooting and size. The rules have changed since the Shaka years, and its not necessarily a great strategy anymore.

The offense has been pretty slow paced the last 3 years. It was visually noticeable, and reflected in the stat lines. The strength of the team has been playing very good half court defense. In my opinion during that time we have had a roster suited to a running offense, but they haven’t done it. The staff may feel getting into fast pace running game minimizes what has been its greatest strength.

It will be interesting to see what the do with a different roster this year, with increased size, strength and athleticism.

mglitos

Elite Member
Insider
Poor shooting is not an indicator of anything other than poor shooting and not getting good looks.

If I may...

This sentence is the truth. "Playing fast" and "running offense" are two different things. Yes we want to play fast and get in transition and shoot layups, but keep in mind most possessions occur in halfcourt sets. We run PNR or some side-to-side action, all designed to break down a defense. If we create advantages and make the defense react, we get good shots.

Then we have to make those shots. It just so happens that the best shots are transition layups. But how we play (fast) is not a straight line to the quality of our shooting (getting good shots). This is why coaches are driven most insane by bad shot selection--it's the antithesis of what they are trying to accomplish.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
Shaka used to love diving on the floor to teach his kids! Learning experience for sure!!

RamDanFan

Elite Member
3rd in the A-10 regular season.
2nd in the A 10 tourney.
Lose in the 1st round of NCAA tourney.

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
3rd in the A-10 regular season.
2nd in the A 10 tourney.
Lose in the 1st round of NCAA tourney.

I could totally see that

3rd behind Bonnies and Dayton
Lose in the A10 Finals to the Bonnies
Lose to a decent P5 team in the far west

I hope it doesn't end up like that, but I could totally see that scenario playing out.

Better question is....Would we consider that a good season?

I'm just happy to see a normal-ish (hopefully) season take place. Let's get those vaccination numbers up Rams Basketball!!

Ramdog

Elite Member
I could totally see that

3rd behind Bonnies and Dayton
Lose in the A10 Finals to the Bonnies
Lose to a decent P5 team in the far west

I hope it doesn't end up like that, but I could totally see that scenario playing out.

Better question is....Would we consider that a good season?

I'm just happy to see a normal-ish (hopefully) season take place. Let's get those vaccination numbers up Rams Basketball!!
I’m not spoiled

any trip to the tournament is a good year

advancing and it is a great year