What if....

Discussion in 'VCU Mens Basketball' started by Celticguy, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Celticguy

Celticguy Hall of Famer

What if the impossible came to pass and we go to war with exactly the same guys that are on the roster today !
    How would you use our team if it was your clipboard ?
    It's a given that it will change by March but who goes when in November ?
    1. The X has a senior and a pg and wants to prove himself
    2. Evan's on reputation
    3. DJ as he's our best returner
    4. Mobely as he's a known quantity in the high post
    5. MSS looks like our better option at center
    Next up
    1. PJ has the future and has to learn
    2. IV he can produce
    3. Simms he can also produce
    4. Douglas with any luck he too can produce and PJ will have all the help he needs
    5. Big Lew will be ready to show what he can do
    That's my clipboard, how about you ?
    Of course it all goes out the window when guys are start flying in and out the door.

2. Havoc City

Havoc City Hall of Famer Top Member

Yeah...no.

3. ramfan84

ramfan84 Starter

If the impossible came to pass and I had to go to war with the same roster...I would pick another year with a different roster.

4. Celticguy

Celticguy Hall of Famer

So just going to forfeit this season ? Seems kinda bleak.

Ramwitch likes this.
  5. TampaKAP

TampaKAP Legend Top Member

So missing from you clipboard is Crowfield. Since its the off season and there is nothing better to do, I would go
    1. Malik
    2. DJ
    3. IV
    4. Mobs
    5. MSS

1a. Evans/PJ
    2a. Evans/Simms/Curry/XJ
    3a, Simms/DJ
    4a Vince/MSS
    5a Corey/ Big Lew

RamSwag likes this.
  6. Celticguy

Celticguy Hall of Famer

interesting choices, probably more conventional than mine.
    I lump Crow with the freshmen to fill in here and there. He may have a good shooting stroke but he's unproductive.
    I think Vince will be demanding playing time as he adapts to the speed of play. And Douglas may take Mobley's spot as well depending on how Mobley develops and just how good Douglas is. He's just a question mark to me at this point. And I'd love to see PJ find that starting assignment at some point in his first year. Hoping he is the next great PG in a tradition of great PGs.

7. TampaKAP

I agree about PJ. And Vince very well could get a lot of min at the "3" with IV spelling Mobs. I don't see Douglas or MSS being a reliable enough shooters today(although MSS did state that MR wanted him to develop the three ball) to play together on the court yet in anything longer than 2 to 3 min stretches

8. Cyniclone

Cyniclone Hall of Famer Top Member

Oh, I thought you meant literally going to war. That changes my answer.

RamStrut, Milk Lizard and enonram like this.
  9. Celticguy

Celticguy Hall of Famer

MSS needs to work on the 2 ball first but I mainly want him in there to scare people out of the paint. Just hoping Douglas is close to being up to his billing.

TampaKAP likes this.
  10. Celticguy

Celticguy Hall of Famer

War as it relates to the tune the Peppas do from time to time.

11. Ram Cray

Ram Cray Hall of Famer

If players improve drastically over the summer and Evans is the real deal, we could be top 3 A10 and a bubble team. I think our chances are a little better the season after next. And that is if we can keep all the players which in itself is wishful thinking.

Mistachill likes this.
  12. Celticguy

Celticguy Hall of Famer

I agree given that caveat. This crew does have potential. I just have to let whatever is going to happen later on stay off the radar for now. If this years team doesn't show some change over last the future just gets cloudy. One thing at a time for me.

Ram Cray likes this.
  13. share the ball

share the ball 6th Man

Where I think we start next year

PG - PJ
    SG- Evans
    SF - Vann
    PF - Mobley
    C - MSS

I would like to see a team that commits first to play defense and rebound.
    I would prefer to see D Jenkins as starting SF (he is the one guy that can score 15 points in 5 minutes - sort of the Vinnie Johnson instant offense ) but if I was MR unless DJ commits to play D1 defense - I would prefer Vann and then Simms in the rotation - MR has to draw the line here - especially since the drop off from DJ to Vann and Simms is not that great. The team will also have more balance in scoring in my opinion if we can continue to commit to getting ball to low post to MSS and Mobs when he is not hunting at the 3 line

we have a logjam at SG/SF with 5 guys there as our top 6 players - while Evans will steal some PG minutes in situations, I just don't see any of the 5 capable of playing PF consistently (there will always be matchups where we can get away with going small) - I think Malik is odd man out in the minutes

Would love to see a PF as a grad transfer this year - we are thin there unless Djonkam has a fabulous spring/summer in furthering development

I see no reason why we cannot finish 3rd in A10 if MR gets them to commit to play D - we gave away two games in conference last year that would have had us in 4th place
    go rams

#13 share the ball, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  14. Celticguy

Celticguy Hall of Famer

Definitely overstocked at the two and three which is tough as we have some good kids there. Crow needs to return to being the lock down defender he was starting to be as a freshman imo to retain playing time. Really need DJ to learn to defend, so much potential in that kid. But I have faith in the bigs which keeps me hopeful

15. TampaKAP

Either that or his offense needs to become his defense. If he can "carry the team" when no one else can then he will to some degree get a pass. And for anyone that doesn't think that realistic, I give you Melvin Johnson who should never be mistaken as a great defender but was an extremely valuable member of the black and gold

connell and rammad90 like this.