What was going in back in 1985 when the Rams were last ranked?

80sRamBaseballRugby

Top Member
Apr 20, 2012
Gandolphs on Pine was a small place, but the friendly owners catered well to the VCU crowd. After a fun night there in 85', a group of regulars headed out of Gandolphs for a trip to Newgate. Myself and Mike Brown split from the crowd and took a detour through the gates of GRC. Meanwhile, the group continued across Main St. where a fight started. A car passenger got out and fired one shot at a former Ferrum linebacker, but, thanks to Painter's quick, but not deliberate action (reaching with both arms to grab someone) the bullet went through Painter's right triceps and his left forearm. Single bullet theory live, but not at Newgate Prison.
If memory serves, and I'm pretty sure it does, some well thrown snow balls were what set this whole event in motion. Also witnessed another shooting outside my apartment on Plum St. Was threatened a few times with knives outside of the NG Prison. It was a fun time, but wow, looking back at it, that was a pretty rough area.

80sRamBaseballRugby

Top Member
Apr 20, 2012
I missed the Mosque party. Favorite road trips were always Fodu, they understood the necessity in a great party, but the trip against undefeated WVU when we were undefeated was quite a fun bus ride back. I have some photos of Pope, war paint and party hats (seat covers).

BTW, I have photos of Shroomer, Crandall and Harris together and Roy Manuel at the Final 4.
Yeah, unfortunately our scrum half decided to get off the bus somewhere on I-64 on the way to Morgantown. Whatever happened to Bobby anyway? Rember Crazy George the rugby hooker? He was killed working for the DEA after a short stint as a Marine Office in the Desert Storm time frame. (Sorry this has turned into a Rugby thread)

Jan 18, 2013
Someone asked several pages back who Gladding/Gladden was. She was the Dean of Women ( doesn't that sound weird?) and already old when I arrived in the Fall of '65. We also had a Dean of Men, of course. Is there a Dean of Transgenders today or have all of those pigeon holes been, hopefully, nailed shut?

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
What was the old joke about the old pres. and why they didnt name the residence after him? Something about having Ackell Hall on campus.

Newgate Prison

Top Member
Aug 1, 2012
Yeah, unfortunately our scrum half decided to get off the bus somewhere on I-64 on the way to Morgantown. Whatever happened to Bobby anyway? Rember Crazy George the rugby hooker? He was killed working for the DEA after a short stint as a Marine Office in the Desert Storm time frame. (Sorry this has turned into a Rugby thread)
Yeah, Bobby was already wound up on the way to WVU...and threw a few rounds my way. I (Weasel) warned him before nailing him in the nose...which always bleeds. He was embarrassed in front of his team and got off right before the WV border. I felt bad, because our backup SH, got destroyed. I talked the Police Chief into renting us that nice bus, so I wasn't getting off.

Bobby died of lung cancer around 97'. Gusto took a photo of Bobby's butt over Ian's head a few months before passing...at his last old boys game...payback for a school days photo at a Cary St party.

You're right about Crazy George's career, which makes the suicide report sound suspicious. I remember the story of him getting snake bit in a fox hole.

Newgate Prison

Top Member
Aug 1, 2012
What was the old joke about the old pres. and why they didnt name the residence after him? Something about having Ackell Hall on campus.
Don't remember the joke. Did it have to do with us having students living in the Byrd Hotel, Jefferson Hotel, Downtowner Hotel, Holiday Inn, Tree House, Quality Inn, etc. during his tenure? He finally got his dorm on campus and his name on it.

Jul 5, 2020
In response to the post by Newgate Prison, post from Feb 2, 2013:

2 comments and a question (I realize how old this thread is and therefore may not generate any responses).

1) I was a regular at Max's for awhile when my roommate and I lived nearby. I remember seeing Tad once, for no reason whatsoever, grab a scrawny guy by the shirt and spin him around and run him into the wall whereupon he hit the side of his head on the bricks and was out cold. The cops showed up immediately, took the names of witnesses (I was one), and a court date was set. I went, and the plantiff didn't show up. Tad recognized me and came over and apologized for me being bothered to show up for nothing; I think he was under the impression that I was going to testify in some way that made him look innocent or justified. I wasn't going to do that by any stretch.

2) The Sig Ep review was probably actually the national organization (I was a UR Sig Ep, and we were founded there, and the national headquarters is on Arthur Ashe and used to be on Chamberlayne). This is assuming by "Sig Ep" you mean Sigma Phi Epsilon; Sigma Alpha Epsilon is also referred to Sig Ep so the above might me inapplicable.

3) Question: What was the name of the place across the street (Laurel) from Rockitz? I think it was the same building that is currently Aladdin Express; it was a reggae bar I think.

Thanks -

B

Jul 5, 2020
How did I miss all this fun? I remember way too much about VCU's party scene at that time, despite dropping out to work full time and school part-time...vs working three part-time jobs while going full-time.

In 1985, I was living in Chesterfield off of Beulah Rd. I went with work friends to see the first Police Academy. I also graduated from the academy that year...making my former club and frat life at VCU all the more difficult to continue. I bought an RX7 from a TDC Sweatheart that summer, Bronwyn...drove two players back from ODU in it in 86.

Four joints around GRC, formerly NRC, we're very popular. The old Ruby Tuesday was turned into Maxes, named after Alan's dog. Their memorable bouncers were Douglas Freeman's badass, Buddy Corbett and roid rage Tad. A week after Alan was punched by a pal of mine, he paid Tad to go over to Gandolphs to seek revenge. Sorry, but Tim was gone, so Tad decided to get Painter instead (yeah, the same Painter who was knocked out cold at rugby parties, shot twice by the same bullet in front of GRC and jaw wired after one punch outside of Paragon Pub...most in 85'). I prevented this current incident, but Tadd decided to beat up the person who revealed the secret. Buddy had to pull me off Tad twice. This led to my first warning from my angry boss.

Gandolphs on Pine was a small place, but the friendly owners catered well to the VCU crowd. After a fun night there in 85', a group of regulars headed out of Gandolphs for a trip to Newgate. Myself and Mike Brown split from the crowd and took a detour through the gates of GRC. Meanwhile, the group continued across Main St. where a fight started. A car passenger got out and fired one shot at a former Ferrum linebacker, but, thanks to Painter's quick, but not deliberate action (reaching with both arms to grab someone) the bullet went through Painter's right triceps and his left forearm. Single bullet theory live, but not at Newgate Prison.

Paragon Pub, which replaced the former VCU AD's place, Lou's Dugout, became a popular place, especially if you enjoyed darts. There was another place that opened around that time on Main St., between the Fiat car dealer and storage warehouse. This hole became famous for rugby parties. There was also the short walk across the park to the hotel, across from MP Towers. They had a baseball name to the first floor lounge. They had the free tacos happy hours and an upscale bar for students.

Cary street gym was replacing FSG for keg parties. GRC phase II was opened and designed as suites. This new phase increased the number of parties at GRC, resulting in a review of the keg party policy. Yup, it took two to three years from the drinking age change for VCU to ponder their dorm drinking policies. Last good party I went to there, around 85, I was asked to leave by a soccer player from Cherry Hill...because of my friends' reputations. Those friends were Painter and Bobby, who were still inside drinking with Alan and Chris. this guy evidently didn't party enough with his teammates Wesley, John, Ronnie, Twee, Liam, Block, Matty, Brogan, Chris, Alan, etc. to know who the trouble makers really were.

Frat wise, Sig Eps were going through a review by their local headquarters. They stopped running their Thursday night Rockitz bash and scaled down on open parties at their Cary location. AKL moved into the 1100 block of Main, right next to the newest sub shop and bar, Arnold's from VA Beach....with the bathing suit contests (Candy, April and Dana were my favorites). AKL even had a drunk driver pull out of 7-11 one night...with an idiot hanging through his window...and drove right up the front steps. I don't believe I spilled a drop of beer while retreating in the front door. Thank goodness AKL had twins who were EMT's. Pi Kaps were camped out next to Max's and had some good card games. KDR was starting on Park Ave and Kap Sigs were building the great fence of China and deck behind their house. Was TDC still on Franklin OR about to move to Grace and Shafer...next to the Greca. I wonder to this day if they drilled holes through the walls to beat the cover charge.

Spring Fling was still rocking out at Treehouse where students still caught the shuttle. I lost my wallet and badge while rough housing with ruggers like Juan Condi. The wallet was returned to me days later by the son of Potters Pub owner. I still have one of those plastic cups from the apt company. GSC???

Friday Cheers was new to the sixth st marketplace, which opened during the summer, making up for the off season of Shafer Court concerts.

Late night eating was that doughnut shop hole at Cary and Linden, McLeans on Broad, Hardee's at Shafer and Broad and Lums (I have a cardboard cup in concrete from when they tore it down). Pizza Inn, next to Hababa's had the late night super thin pizza, but we're now serving mixed drinks too. A little pizza window opened up on the ground floor of New Horizon. Mad King Ludwigs and Jade Elephant went from upscale restaurants to full scale bars. The game room was still across the street, bringing drunks and hardcore gamers together at night. The place next to Pizza Inn, owned by Witt, and Newgate Prison and Scottlands Yard, owned by Bill Griggs and Buddy Womak, decided to hire two full time Sheriffs Deputies, replacing the City Officers at a bargain rate. I have a photo of them and others holding down a partier in later years.

And Ivories went from an older and civil crowd around that time to a young gangsta place thanks to the cruising and parking along Broad. Was this the year the wings place opened at Morris and Main? And the little hole across the street? Can't remember if the Chesterfield had a bar open at this time.
Question: What was the name of the place across the street (Laurel) from Rockitz? I think it was the same building that is currently Aladdin Express; it was a reggae bar I think.

Thanks -

B

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009

2 comments and a question (I realize how old this thread is and therefore may not generate any responses).

1) I was a regular at Max's for awhile when my roommate and I lived nearby. I remember seeing Tad once, for no reason whatsoever, grab a scrawny guy by the shirt and spin him around and run him into the wall whereupon he hit the side of his head on the bricks and was out cold. The cops showed up immediately, took the names of witnesses (I was one), and a court date was set. I went, and the plantiff didn't show up. Tad recognized me and came over and apologized for me being bothered to show up for nothing; I think he was under the impression that I was going to testify in some way that made him look innocent or justified. I wasn't going to do that by any stretch.
Welcome to RamNation.... jw what made you go back 7 years to find this?

Anyway.... Sounds like the same Tad who use to run Poker at Banditos.... got kicked outta there for some reason then ended at Gus' on Broad st. for a while til he wore out his welcome there .

Dude had a total attitude/control problem, and according to a couple people I know who used to deal for his games.... he was notoriously late paying his dealers or not paying them at all... so they stopped dealing for him. He tried to force people to buy food or drinks in order to be able to play the game or get the extra chips for showing up early. (which is not allowed). Then he would complain that people weren't spending enough money. For example, I went there one night.... had already eaten dinner with my family a little bit earlier... .Game didn't start til 7:30 or 8. Got there just in time for the early extra chips. Ordered Fries & a drink.... which by itself was like 6 or $7 (not including a tip for the waitress/bartender).... the dude got in my face & others.... because I wasn't spending enough & took my early chip back. Other people he actually put hands on and started fighting with people, including pulling people out of the chair & pushing them out the door... had the cops called him at least 3 or 4 times when I was there (prob more).

Then he was also scamming people for money in a way.... cause he always had this Tip Jar.... which when I first started playing there he said it was for the waitresses & bartenders (which made no sense cause we already tip them based on their service on our tabs). Then he would say it was for his dealers.... Which was also a lie. I talked to many of the dealers & they never saw any of the tips from the Tip Jar. They got the money that he was already paying them & that was it. And if you left or went outside to smoke or w/e during break.. he got mad if you didn't put money in the tip jar. He'd even come over & stand beside you at the table, slam the jar down in front of you & stand there with his arms crossed. Needless to say after a while I stopped going to Gus' to play poker until after I heard he was gone.

ISwamRam

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009

3) Question: What was the name of the place across the street (Laurel) from Rockitz? I think it was the same building that is currently Aladdin Express; it was a reggae bar I think.

Thanks -

B
New Horizons Cafe, I believe. AAE would play there...awesome memories.

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
New Horizons Cafe, I believe. AAE would play there...awesome memories.
Loved the Jamaican fries (fresh cut potatoes with allspice, peppers, garlic and salt) My grandfather owned the two business housed there which preceded it- Johnny's Steakhouse and The Persian Room, upstairs and downstairs, In our foodcart we have hanging his Johnny's Steakhouse 1203 west broad plate, he had. They let me in on nights they were only supposed to let in 21+, knowing this, and also being aware I wouldn't get into trouble. I was a good kid. I saw a LOT of big reggae acts there and a lot of small ones too. Met a ton of reggae artists. Still know a lot of the ras elders around town from back then. I have played a LOT of music with OJ from AAE. It was one of my go to places back then.