What was going in back in 1985 when the Rams were last ranked?

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
74-75, bring our blender to Hibbs at dinner and making a bazillion milkshakes. Watching a couple guys throw frisbee in Schaffer court. They left, me and roommate took it over in 75-76.
beer and social noir after in that place next to Marvins eating place; can’t remember the name of the place but the guy cooking them was Ahmad (so). Best ever pie

don’t know how Sicilian pizza turned into that but whatever!

Last edited:
Reactions: share the ball

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
74-75, bring our blender to Hibbs at dinner and making a bazillion milkshakes. Watching a couple guys throw frisbee in Schaffer court. They left, me and roommate took it over in 75-76.
beer and social noir after in that place next to Marvins eating place; can’t remember the name of the place but the guy cooking them was Ahmad (so). Best ever pie
In 1985, I was at the ladle n loaf eating my daily tuna fish salad foot longs with lettuce, tomato, mayo, American cheese, salt and pepper oil and vinegar and a side bag of fritos corn chips with a large dr. Pepper.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
i was 6 years old, playing with he-man, she-ra: princess of power, the evil skeletor, and ram man. epic battles took place in and around castle grayskull.

1985 was also the beginning of a young child's love affair with the garbage pail kids.

still my favorite:
I was a wacky pack card collector!!!

1973-Wacky-Packages-Stickers-1st-Series-CHOCK-FULL-O-NUTS-AND-BOLTS-COFFEE.jpg

May 4, 2012
so even in a thread that had been dead for over 7 years you can't resist turning it into some braindead shot at the current program. Do you have some variation of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder or are you just a childish dumbass in general?
I answered a question about the program 30+ years ago. Barnett was a good coach and we thrived under his leadership. Its not like i found the thread, posed the question or spoke to current events. Grow up.

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
I answered a question about the program 30+ years ago. Barnett was a good coach and we thrived under his leadership. Its not like i found the thread, posed the question or spoke to current events. Grow up.
yes please, grow up. That is the advice so many of us wish you would take.

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011
First thing I noticed from page 1 was when "Eddie" Lee Roth left Van Halen to be the mascot for Iron Maiden...

Jul 5, 2020
Welcome to RamNation.... jw what made you go back 7 years to find this?

Anyway.... Sounds like the same Tad who use to run Poker at Banditos.... got kicked outta there for some reason then ended at Gus' on Broad st. for a while til he wore out his welcome there .

Dude had a total attitude/control problem, and according to a couple people I know who used to deal for his games.... he was notoriously late paying his dealers or not paying them at all... so they stopped dealing for him. He tried to force people to buy food or drinks in order to be able to play the game or get the extra chips for showing up early. (which is not allowed). Then he would complain that people weren't spending enough money. For example, I went there one night.... had already eaten dinner with my family a little bit earlier... .Game didn't start til 7:30 or 8. Got there just in time for the early extra chips. Ordered Fries & a drink.... which by itself was like 6 or $7 (not including a tip for the waitress/bartender).... the dude got in my face & others.... because I wasn't spending enough & took my early chip back. Other people he actually put hands on and started fighting with people, including pulling people out of the chair & pushing them out the door... had the cops called him at least 3 or 4 times when I was there (prob more).

Then he was also scamming people for money in a way.... cause he always had this Tip Jar.... which when I first started playing there he said it was for the waitresses & bartenders (which made no sense cause we already tip them based on their service on our tabs). Then he would say it was for his dealers.... Which was also a lie. I talked to many of the dealers & they never saw any of the tips from the Tip Jar. They got the money that he was already paying them & that was it. And if you left or went outside to smoke or w/e during break.. he got mad if you didn't put money in the tip jar. He'd even come over & stand beside you at the table, slam the jar down in front of you & stand there with his arms crossed. Needless to say after a while I stopped going to Gus' to play poker until after I heard he was gone.
> Welcome to RamNation.... jw what made you go back 7 years to find this?

Haha - it was in the search for the name of the bar (the question at the end of my post). I don't recall what exactly led me there but it was searching things like "Rockitz" and others - thanks for the welcome, and go Rams -

B

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Yes, this is it. Was driving me nuts. Thanks! And saw AAE there and at other venues during that time.

B
I always thought New Horizon was on the corner of Harrison and Broad a couple blocks west of Rockitz.

Jul 5, 2020
I always thought New Horizon was on the corner of Harrison and Broad a couple blocks west of Rockitz.
Hmmm, I could be wrong but it's awfully vivid to me. That being said, based on the fun I was having at the time, being a few blocks off wouldn't be out of the question. The place I remembered was (I think?) plain red brick and had an upstairs, and there was a small open back deck - does that solidify it for anyone? I can't locate the old address on the web anywhere.

B

Jul 5, 2020
A couple of things after some re-thought:

1) I looked at street view and the building where New Horizons Cafe used to be indicates that it's not the same building. I could obviously have the corner wrong, or the building I remember could have been torn down. Currently the building, while brick, is melded right onto the next building. The one I recall had some space between it and other structures on all sides.

2) It made me think of another small place, bar/diner (see attached). Anyone? It was in the middle of that block where the "X" is (and may be the pizza place that's there now, although it wasn't & Pizza at the time).

B

Attachments