What was going in back in 1985 when the Rams were last ranked?

VCU94MCV98

Top Member
Mar 27, 2011
In 1985, I was at the ladle n loaf eating my daily tuna fish salad foot longs with lettuce, tomato, mayo, American cheese, salt and pepper oil and vinegar and a side bag of fritos corn chips with a large dr. Pepper.
I just poured a beer on the pavement in memory of your 1985 toilet.

• Sad
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
A couple of things after some re-thought:

1) I looked at street view and the building where New Horizons Cafe used to be indicates that it's not the same building. I could obviously have the corner wrong, or the building I remember could have been torn down. Currently the building, while brick, is melded right onto the next building. The one I recall had some space between it and other structures on all sides.

2) It made me think of another small place, bar/diner (see attached). Anyone? It was in the middle of that block where the "X" is (and may be the pizza place that's there now, although it wasn't & Pizza at the time).

B
I think that my friend Charlie Brown was the owner back then. He is still around RVA. I used to go see AAE and other bands at New Horizon. I remember it being on the corner of Harrison and Broad just north of the Village. I remember it being on the west side of Harrison at that corner near Broad.

I used to see shows at Rockitz and I do not remember a bar being on the west side of it. I thought it was always a little take out restaurant.

Last edited:
Reactions: share the ball

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Max's Rockitz, Paragon Pub, Newgate Prison, New Horizon Cafe, fake IDs weren't a felony and Grace street got very interesting after 11pm.....
Hababas. We used to make sure we were there at closing time to see all the motorcycles take off. Inevitably one wouldn't start.

Reactions: VCUBeatsduke
Jul 5, 2020
I think that my friend Charlie Brown was the owner back then. He is still around RVA. I used to go see AAE and other bands at New Horizon. I remember it being on the corner of Harrison and Broad just north of the Village. I remember it being on the west side of Harrison at that corner near Broad.

I used to see shows at Rockitz and I do not remember a bar being on the west side of it. I thought it was always a little take out restaurant.
That is certainly possible; my only real memory of it was that I was in there at about 4:30 PM on a Saturday with 3 or 4 friends. If we were in there, it was to have a snack and a drink or two before we went elsewhere. Someone in my group had a deck of cards and pulled it out and started dealing a hand of something, and one of the employees came over and said, "You can't play cards in here." We informed him/her that we weren't gambling, just killing time while waiting for our orders. We didn't think much of it so we kept playing, and the next thing you know the management came over and said that they weren't going to bring us anything so we had to leave, haha.

Mar 14, 2010
Here is just a few feel free to add on.

January 1985: Madonna's "Like a Virgin" Came out

February 1985: Yours Truly came out my Moms Womb
- 19th The Breakfast Club hit theaters

April 1985: Eddie Lee Roth leaves Van halen

December 1985: DNA is first used in a criminal case.

Thats just a little information I could think of off the top of my head lol any more additions.
I was a Senior working at VA DCLS on the Timmothy Spencer case (First DNA use in court as only means to convict) and Full of hate for Bobby Lee Hurt and Alabama. If only...

Reactions: VCUBeatsduke

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
So I heard your personality revolves around the #1 hit song on your twelfth birthday. Mine was second week in January 1971...

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
So I heard your personality revolves around the #1 hit song on your twelfth birthday. Mine was second week in January 1971...
Said birthday is midweek in my case....if i go week before, it’s “Tragedy” (Bee Gees), if I go week after it’s “I Will Survive” (Gloria Gaynor)......amazingly, either work!

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM
Jul 5, 2020
Said birthday is midweek in my case....if i go week before, it’s “Tragedy” (Bee Gees), if I go week after it’s “I Will Survive” (Gloria Gaynor)......amazingly, either work!
It appears you would select whichever week contained your birthday as defined by "week ending on xx"

Jul 5, 2020
Interesting concept; I looked mine up and it's: The Raiders, Indian Reservation (The Lament Of the Cherokee Reservation Indian) - not overly interesting or amusing.

However a previous poster listed "My Sweet Lord" - I just within the last hour read about how Harrison was successfully sued for copyright infringement (The Chiffons' "He's So Fine) and this was somewhat of a precedent for other such cases.

B

VCUBeatsduke

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I just poured a beer on the pavement in memory of your 1985 toilet.
Dude I loved ladle and loaf! We used to get .25 cent beers there and they had the best Turkey and Cheese sub. I remember seeing Mike Schlegel there after a game. Back in the day they did not feed the players post game or it was crap food. Great memory @duncanlamb !