What would you do if you were coach ?

Apr 22, 2009
Resign.

Turns out Mike Rhodes is actually a fraud.

A few years ago Gary Anderson at Oregon State resigned and did not take his severance package because he felt like he didn’t deserve it and was failing the University. I would respect Mike if he did the same.

Just kidding. I would teach the players how to rebound. I would switch to a pack line defense Or half court man to man defense.I would make them run drills and practice free throws endlessly. I would drop the havoc sloganeering and focus on fundamentals.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
With the exception of the two Florida losses and the home loss to Dayton, the 7 other losses (I am including tonight at SLU) have all been similar: VCU hits a lull, the other team goes on a huge run (17-0 tonight) and takes a big lead. We make a run to get it respectable, but lose. Wash, rinse, repeat.

• Sad
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM
Nov 20, 2009
I would for the love of god not play Evans when he is so hurt, like tonight.

We’ve got other scholarship players who can play better than a 60-70% Evans. Besides, don’t you want to give him a chance to get his health back?

The best chance that we’ve got to get right is to play the young guys more, let the hurt guys get more healthy and hope to go on a run in the A-10 tourney.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Someone close to RMC warned me when we hired Mike that he isn’t a VCU caliber coach. Great guy, just not a X’s and O’s guy. I’ll give him another year but I’m thinking my friend was on to something.
This isn‘t an X’s and O’s problem. I have watched our guys miss wide open, uncontested shots, miss layups, miss FTs, not fight over screens, lose their man, etc. That has nothing to do with scheme.

For what it’s worth, I had a coach at another A-10 school tell me that Mike was the best combination of play design and motivation we've had since we’ve been in the league.