What would you do if you were coach ?

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Confirmed. They switched to zone then, basically with SLU trailing by 1 (22-21 VCU) with under 8 left in the first. Our possessions after that...

-De'Ri missed 3
-IV turnover
-Bones missed 3
-Jarren turnover
-IV missed 3
-De'Ri missed jumper
-Malik missed 3
-Kel missed 3

-Kel missed layup
-Malik MADE 3
-Kel missed jumper
-MSS MADE tip
-Malik missed 3

-MSS turnover
-De'Ri missed 3

3 turnovers, 1-8 from three, 1-4 inside the arc.

During that time they got 8 POINTS FROM DUNKS alone and only took two threes, one of which they made. Essentially they played the numbers (you guys take the hard shots, we'll take the easy ones) and blew the game wide open.

D*mn that flashback is like a band aid being ripped off, and Mecurichrome being liberally applied to the wound.

Major Ram 2.0

Top Member
Aug 13, 2018
As tough as this recent stretch has been consider for a moment how lucky we’ve been to weather coaching changes over the last 20 years. Consider the following:
Grant goes to Dayton and has a sub .500 season. Finds a diamond in the rough with Obi Topping. Gets other pieces to complement him and boom. Success. Next year they’ll return to Earth. Good team but we’ll see what he’s got in the pipeline.
St Joes fires long term coach. Skips on hiring Hawk legend to hire a guy off the Sixers bench. Best Lange did was a .500 record at the Naval Academy
UMass and Duquesne are better but it’s taking time.
Mooney has players for this and next year then it billboards one195 again
Few schools have the recent history of NCAA appearances that VCU has.
I hate losing as much as anyone. Frankly last series of games have been embarrassing. I feel MR the staff and some players do also. Some players have checked out. Everyone knows it and everyone knows whom.
MR has a reputation of being a solid down to earth loyal guy. By sticking with seniors maybe his loyalty is misplaced . That’s on the seniors. They’ll be gone but MRs reputation will be intact. Good players want to know their coach is loyal and have their back
Maybe our fans should be the same way.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Having just rewatched the game, the main thing I'd work on this week is how to attack a zone defense.

Holy moly....we were terrrrrrible against SLU's zone when they went to it. Totally changed the game from a tight back and forth battle to a blowout. Every A-10 coach we face should throw up a 2-3 zone on us after watching that game.

Also individually we just had some bonehead plays. Not sure what you can really do about that other than tell the offense to slooooooow down and to value the ball. That and guys just didn't knock down shots that the SLU players did.
In regards to the bolded part..... YES!!! At this point, these guys are not made for fast paced offense. We certainly are not a team that lives & dies by the 3 like we used to be. We don't really have guys that are able to run down the court, stop on a dime & pull up for a 3, and have it hit with any regularity.

We just aren't that kind of team, with the players we have at this moment..... and also the way our defense as a whole has been lately.... we can't rely on them for 40 minutes to make for the mistakes we make on offense.

Reactions: 88RAM
May 4, 2012
If you rewatch the game, I can basically guarantee you this flatline time was when SLU went zone. It's when they built that lead. Second half they didn't really go to it, but our defense didn't give us enough to stop them, so we just essentially traded baskets (hence the 39-35 SLU second half advantage).

View attachment 8122
Note that MSS went out fir fouls as well.
I really like Ward and he will be good but hes a freshman and cant compete in that defense (yet).
Lack of depth at big is a tough nut to crack.
So yes, they will continue to target MSS for fouls and take advantage of the drop off.

Apr 20, 2009
Is there a difference between the talent needed to run a D3 type Randy Mac program and a D1 VCU type program?

nice practice facility at VCU though!
We have talent. But it takes more than that to win games against good teams. Rice is like an Ivy League school. RMC is like a D3 Ivy league school. Do you notice how often our guys have to look to the bench for instructions? We should be way past that point with 5 seniors and being this late in the season.

Reactions: Celticguy
Apr 20, 2009
I've been resistant to the idea of set plays on offense. MR runs a free-form system, where whoever gets the open shot takes it. But in these droughts, if we ran set plays where everyone knew who was the first option, would it prevent settling for a three?

Or do we lack that guy we can call the play for? I thought it would be Evans, but he's not been up to the task. I truly believe his Achilles injuries have left him physically diminished.
We should run a lot more 1-4 sets with Bones being the 1. And setup the 2 man game on the left side of the court for MSS. I guarantee that would get us much better shots and play to our strengths offensively. Teams would be forced to double team, leaving someone wide open on offense. Its really not that difficult. You play to your strengths. And you insist that all 5 guys crash the boards or they lose PT. Anthony ran a lot of 1-4 stuff with Maynor. We need to start doing the same thing with Bones.

Jul 27, 2017
As tough as this recent stretch has been consider for a moment how lucky we’ve been to weather coaching changes over the last 20 years. Consider the following:
Grant goes to Dayton and has a sub .500 season. Finds a diamond in the rough with Obi Topping. Gets other pieces to complement him and boom. Success. Next year they’ll return to Earth. Good team but we’ll see what he’s got in the pipeline.
St Joes fires long term coach. Skips on hiring Hawk legend to hire a guy off the Sixers bench. Best Lange did was a .500 record at the Naval Academy
UMass and Duquesne are better but it’s taking time.
Mooney has players for this and next year then it billboards one195 again
Few schools have the recent history of NCAA appearances that VCU has.
I hate losing as much as anyone. Frankly last series of games have been embarrassing. I feel MR the staff and some players do also. Some players have checked out. Everyone knows it and everyone knows whom.
MR has a reputation of being a solid down to earth loyal guy. By sticking with seniors maybe his loyalty is misplaced . That’s on the seniors. They’ll be gone but MRs reputation will be intact. Good players want to know their coach is loyal and have their back
Maybe our fans should be the same way.
Mike Rhoades has a duty to do everything he can with the players he has to win games. Players want to win, if a player is coming here to have the security of guaranteed playing time when they are an upper classman is that the type of player we want? Being loyal and having a players back has nothing to do with how much playing time they receive.

This is not "on the seniors". It is on Mike Rhoades. Of course Evans is going to demand to play when he is hurt, but if he can hardly move Mike Rhoades needs to make the intelligent decision to not play him. He is in charge and this season is completely on him. He is being compensated way more than anyone else associated with this program.

Maybe we are not a tourney team with Evans hurt no matter who the coach is, but we are certainly better than getting blown out by every half way decent team we play. Our seniors could play better but the over riding issue has been coaching.

Reactions: connell

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
We should run a lot more 1-4 sets with Bones being the 1. And setup the 2 man game on the left side of the court for MSS. I guarantee that would get us much better shots and play to our strengths offensively. Teams would be forced to double team, leaving someone wide open on offense. Its really not that difficult. You play to your strengths. And you insist that all 5 guys crash the boards or they lose PT. Anthony ran a lot of 1-4 stuff with Maynor. We need to start doing the same thing with Bones.
Why the heck are we paying 1.5 m for coaching. Are you available for a conference call with the staff. The line that "it's really not that difficult" has me encouraged

Reactions: wavevcu
Apr 22, 2009
In regards to the bolded part..... YES!!! At this point, these guys are not made for fast paced offense. We certainly are not a team that lives & dies by the 3 like we used to be. We don't really have guys that are able to run down the court, stop on a dime & pull up for a 3, and have it hit with any regularity.

We just aren't that kind of team, with the players we have at this moment..... and also the way our defense as a whole has been lately.... we can't rely on them for 40 minutes to make for the mistakes we make on offense.
Why is this so easy for us to see and so hard for Rhoades to see? That is an epic "coaching fail". You can't put a square peg in a round hole. Havoc is dead, have a nice service and move on.

Reactions: Celticguy

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Why is this so easy for us to see and so hard for Rhoades to see? That is an epic "coaching fail". You can't put a square peg in a round hole. Havoc is dead, have a nice service and move on.
Not saying MR isn't partly to blame... but I also wouldn't put it all on him. After all Wade used some of the same Havoc like stuff Shaka did... maybe not to the extent Shaka did, but still & most of our seniors played under Wade. Also, I feel like ME when on the court only has 1 speed and has little no to regard for his body, the way he throws himself around so much. And I'm pretty sure MR didn't coach ME to keep throwing himself into people risking further injuries.

And sure as a coach you can tell them to "slow down" or "take care of the ball" or any other number of things.... but it's up to the actual player to do it.

RAM_IT

Top Member
Aug 19, 2013
One thing the notes on that St. Louis run made me think about was just players not being able to get in a rhythm. It makes me wonder if Havoc affects VCU's ability to be in rhythm more than the other team.

5 different guys missed a 3 in that stretch and only 1 guy got multiple shots.

Its like missing your 1st free throw, you usually make the second, but we have 10 guys all missing their first one and so we just don't score for 5 minutes.

Nobody was all that terrible, all 0-1 but as a team its a brutal run where the bad guys who have a couple guys who get hot or just are aggressive at the rim.

92VCUpikapp

Top Member
Dec 21, 2010
One thing the notes on that St. Louis run made me think about was just players not being able to get in a rhythm. It makes me wonder if Havoc affects VCU's ability to be in rhythm more than the other team.

5 different guys missed a 3 in that stretch and only 1 guy got multiple shots.

Its like missing your 1st free throw, you usually make the second, but we have 10 guys all missing their first one and so we just don't score for 5 minutes.

Nobody was all that terrible, all 0-1 but as a team its a brutal run where the bad guys who have a couple guys who get hot or just are aggressive at the rim.
Rotations are too deep. Also need to run our offense through our best offensive weapons. Coaches need to tell our defensive “roll” players they have the “red light” for shooting wide open threes when the other team baits them by leaving them open.

Dec 2, 2012
Richmond Times Dispatch

Feb 7th, 2019---
"Coming off Wednesday’s game, according to KenPom.com, VCU sits at fourth in the country in effective field goal percentage defense (42.6) and seventh in adjusted defensive efficiency, holding teams to 88.1 points per 100 possessions. "

It's not like coach has forgotten how to teach defense.
We know that Evans is hurting, and we know there are some other things infecting the teams psyche.
I say we give the coach a chance, and our support during this tough streak.

It really does seem we have forgotten the very recent past: A tough first year , big improvement the next year, and no reason tho think MR can't have the defense humming again.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Richmond Times Dispatch

Feb 7th, 2019---
"Coming off Wednesday’s game, according to KenPom.com, VCU sits at fourth in the country in effective field goal percentage defense (42.6) and seventh in adjusted defensive efficiency, holding teams to 88.1 points per 100 possessions. "

It's not like coach has forgotten how to teach defense.
We know that Evans is hurting, and we know there are some other things infecting the teams psyche.
I say we give the coach a chance, and our support during this tough streak.

It really does seem we have forgotten the very recent past: A tough first year , big improvement the next year, and no reason tho think MR can't have the defense humming again.
Very true, but if we have another season next year looking like this season, we're gonna have a Caine Mutiny on our hands.