What would you do if you were coach ?

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Ive been telling one of the assistant coaches for about a month that Bones needs to play more. As soon as St Louis went zone we should have put Henderson and Crow in the game. Those are the 2 best outside shooters we have. They would have gotten open looks. I wont go on a tirade here but we should have been playing zone all season except against Richmond. All but 3 of the teams in our league are below 35% from the arc. The line is further back. So make teams show if they can beat you from the outside !! Its also easier to rebound out of a zone defense. Its also easier to collapse and double team inside, playing zone. And its not rocket science that the more different defensive looks you show, the harder it is for teams to adjust and get off good shots.
I am really glad you are not on the coaching staff. BTW, Richmond has done pretty well at turning things around by abandoning zone D this season, and they play in the same conference that we do.

Dec 2, 2012
I am really glad you are not on the coaching staff. BTW, Richmond has done pretty well at turning things around by abandoning zone D this season, and they play in the same conference that we do.
Agree, Zone D does not work in the modern space and pace 3 point happy game.
wavevcu said:
"Its also easier to rebound out of a zone defense. "
This is literally the opposite of conventional basketball wisdom.
Billboard.jpg

Last edited:
May 19, 2015
I’ve been sick for 4 days with no improvement. Couldn’t even watch the last game. Just read this thread & now I know that I should just throw the rest of my tickets in the garbage and recommend a realtor for Coach Rhoades.
I think most of the + fan Facebook page posts are ridiculous but the angst on this thread alone is unbearable to me. Hardly worth the effort of scrolling on my phone (even that has been an effort these past few days!)
Get well SpiderRAM! All is good. Pay no attention to those that think the sky is falling. There will always be another day to fix the problem and fight like crazy!

Apr 17, 2015
We need to sit anyone who isn't hustling or has a hang-dog attitude. We always seem to be grieving instead of working hard when the damage is done to us. Failure to play hard has almost never been our problem.

Apr 20, 2009
I meant play some zone. Switch it up so that the opponent has to figure out how to attack different defenses. I never thought I would see Shaka playing zone but he is now some of the time. We end up with mismatches defensively because we zone trap in the backcourt then suddenly switch to man to man in the frontcourt. Guys are trying to find their man and end up just picking up whoever is open. This happens to us all the time..and it creates mismatches that the opponent can exploit.

Reactions: connell
Feb 14, 2011
I got one, if I were coach...."that ball is supposed to go IN the round hoopy thingy. Oh and it helps if you know where the hoopy thingy is before you try to put it in." Too soon for humor?

Reactions: Ramdog
May 4, 2012
I got one, if I were coach...."that ball is supposed to go IN the round hoopy thingy. Oh and it helps if you know where the hoopy thingy is before you try to put it in." Too soon for humor?
Anyone who watches his shot gets benched and will be doing suicides til tg he next game.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Of course you would. Height has always been your panacea.
height, muscle with athleticism and skill which both have

nanna

http://instagr.am/p/B2SqJm5DPEx/

javarzia

we have offered nnanna...he is top.100 and knows bones and Jamir watkins being from delaware

javarzia goes to moravian prep along with josh hall and several other high majors. We offered josh hall last year. he has since blown up to 5* status.

Last edited: