What would you do if you were coach ?

Love2Ram

Top Member
Feb 25, 2011
Clearly we've got talent in our freshmen class. If the underclassmen stay and stick together we will improve over time as long as we bring in some more talented players next year. This year's freshmen class may be the best we've ever assembled. I'm not suggesting we'll have a shot at winning the A10 next year, we don't, but I think we'll all enjoy watching them compete more. The bottom line, Mike needs to upgrade the overall talent on his roster. He did it this year but the classes aren't balanced at all which isn't his fault. I'm growing concerned that the blowout losses could lead to defections which would be devastating. We will be good again but we cannot afford to swing and miss on the recruiting trail. No more wasted scholarships.

Reactions: LQuarles and DevDog

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Why the lulls is the question.
If I knew that, then I’d sit with the staff and help fix it. If I had to guess, then I’d say we lack mental toughness. For a decade, we’ve been the bully, by and large. Teams are punching us this year and we seem to back off until the run by the other team effectively ends the game.

Reactions: enonram

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
I would for the love of god not play Evans when he is so hurt, like tonight.

We’ve got other scholarship players who can play better than a 60-70% Evans. Besides, don’t you want to give him a chance to get his health back?

The best chance that we’ve got to get right is to play the young guys more, let the hurt guys get more healthy and hope to go on a run in the A-10 tourney.
I agree but I think 70% Evans is better than most everyone, bones included, we have on the bench.

I do think our best bet is to rest him and hope he is ready for the A10 tournament.

Reactions: DevDog
May 4, 2012
agreed. Gotta always fight your guts out to remedy these issues.
Id favor accepting that there is no pressure whatsoever and have some fun.
Wont get a bye but wont have to do a play in game either and the middle is all the same.
Let Evans rest his poor knee etc
Let the kids play more
Work on some new looks / lineups
Got nothing to lose which leaves everything to gain.

Love2Ram

Top Member
Feb 25, 2011
I agree but I think 70% Evans is better than most everyone, bones included, we have on the bench.
Evans is averaging 10 points a game this year while playing 24 minutes. He's only reached double digits in about half the games he's played in all year. For the season he's 3 assists to 2.7 turnovers. You like him, I like him, but a couple of games off isn't going to salvage anything. We will have to disagree on a 70% Evans being capable to give us more than his backups. Clark performed far greater than Evans did tonight. That is not meant to jab at Evans, clearly he is hurting, but it's a testament to Clark's abilities. If Evans is hurt then he shouldn't be playing at all. It doesn't help this team in any way for him to be hobbling around on the floor.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
You are right. It was a cheap shot on my part. I apologize. I was frustrated by the game. That’s not an excuse; just a reason. I should be better than that, and usually I am. I am sorry for that ridiculous low blow. Please accept my sincere apology. It won’t happen again.
We are all in shock and angry. What should have been a banner year for VCU basketball is looking like a massive step backward. Stuff happens but you at least had the moral fortitude to apologize.

We need more like you.

Last edited:

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Evans is averaging 10 points a game this year while playing 24 minutes. He's only reached double digits in about half the games he's played in all year. For the season he's 3 assists to 2.7 turnovers. You like him, I like him, but a couple of games off isn't going to salvage anything. We will have to disagree on a 70% Evans being capable to give us more than his backups. Clark performed far greater than Evans did tonight. That is not meant to jab at Evans, clearly he is hurting, but it's a testament to Clark's abilities. If Evans is hurt then he shouldn't be playing at all. It doesn't help this team in any way for him to be hobbling around on the floor.
I dont think Evans is at 70%. I also dont think we go anywhere but home if we have to rely on Clark.

MarylandRamFan

Top Member
Feb 18, 2018
I’m thinking it’s time to lose the whole ‘havoc’ style of play. We’re out of control and turn the ball over too much. Slow the game down, work the ball closer to the basket, and stop shooting threes. No one on the team is a good 3 point shooter, so stop trying to be something you aren’t. Also practice free throws; lots of them. The Rams should strive to hit 80% as a team. Make measurable improvements in each game the rest of the season. Best performers for each game get to start the next game. From this point on, put the past behind them and focus on improving for the rest of the season.

Reactions: RamStrut

Dr Joe

Top Member
Insider
Oct 12, 2017
As many of you know l am a major MR supporter. And I am not even in the state let alone at practices or looking at film. But the one thing I see in all the losses is the loss of composure during the shooting droughts. Tonight in the last 8 minutes of the first half we took 8 threes, two jump shots and one lay up And one tip in. We turned the ball over three times. We scored 5 points While they scored 22. Many of you have played at a much higher level than me but I was taught when the other team goes on a run get something easy. That means look to score inside or get fouled going strong to the basket. It never means take a shot that the team hits 30% of the time. Take away that run and drought and we are in a three point game. That was true too many times this year. We seem to lack the guy who stops the run by being a scorer that won’t be denied. I also think having to sit MSS and Vince during that run buried us. Hard to watch this one but the next game is our new focus. Go RAMS!

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016

I do think our best bet is to rest him and hope he is ready for the A10 tournament.
Sorry, disagree, a 70% Evans is a liability. He can't score, and he can't stop penetration with that knee (and the repaired ACL's) . Having an ineffectual Evans on the floor makes it 4 against 5.

Bones is scoring more points than Evans I believe. Evans defense, which WAS better than Bones is now starting to be impacted by his injury.

Reactions: Beirne and G-Man