Recruiting What would you do with the last (known) scholly?

Dabrie

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
There are some great players still available that are interested in playing at VCU. Do you take someone from the known pool or do you hold it and see what opportunities could become available late in the recruiting cycle?
I am interested in all opinions on this. Personally, I would like to see the staff be patient and get the best addition possible or maybe a Juco or transfer.

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Insider
Aug 26, 2016
Chemistry has played a big part in bringing our 4 future players together. Being one who is always in favor of acquiring the best talent possible, in this case of our remaining scholarship I think assessed talent will have to be the 2nd selection criteria, behind “goodness of fit”. I hope the coaches (and our in-team recruiting machine) are able to lock-in our 5 piece of the puzzle based on player chemistry and then assessed talent. I say that with the foresight that our coaches do have talent standards they are adhering to. I hope they don’t pass on a player who has both the chemistry and a very good skillet in order to “possibly” land a player who has an exceptional skill set who may, or may not mesh with his teammates

Last edited:

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Chemistry has played a big part in bringing our 4 future players together. Being one who is always in favor of acquiring the best talent possible, in this case of our remaining scholarship I think assessed talent will have to be the 2nd selection criteria, behind “goodness of fit”. I hope the coaches (and our in-team recruiting machine) are able to lock-in our 5 piece of the puzzle based on player chemistry and then assessed talent. I say that with the foresight that our coaches do have talent standards they are adhering to. I hope they don’t pass on a player who has both the chemistry and a very good skillet in order to “possibly” land a player who has an exceptional skill set who may, or may not mesh with his teammates
I'll take the other side of that argument. Obviously you don't take someone who looks to be a problem child, but I think the staff needs to use every scholarship they have to improve the team. You find the best player possible to fit your needs, and you never take a lesser talent just because he seems to be a good kid. If the culture is right in your program (and that is what MR has been working on since his first day here), that kid will fit in. If he doesn't, there will be another place for him down the road.

Dabrie

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Ultimately, I trust the coach and staff to make the right decisions and I will be happy with anyone they bring in. I just wanted to see what you guys and gals thought was the best way to fill this last spot. Remember, both Bones and Ward were late additions because we had the scholarships available.

Reactions: RAMBALLFAN

WI.Ram10

Top Member
Aug 4, 2017
Totally agree....but as an armchair coach/GM?
JUCO/Grad Transfer....Jayden Scrubb-type play 2 and graduate with Vince/Curry or a one and done GT Center/3 point guy....break up the classes a bit
Jay Scrubb type would be cool, yes. Actual Jay scrubb has removed Vcu form consideration though. If we look at the 2020-2021 scholarship roster, if nothing changes:

Sr (2): MSS, Corey
Jr (2): Keshawn, Vince
So (4): Bones, Jarren, Tre, Ward
Fr (4): Ace, Banks, Watkins, MBJ

G (3): Bones, Tre, Ace,
G/Wing (3): Keshawn, Jarren, Banks,
Wing/F: (2): Vince, Watkins
F: (4) MSS, Corey, Ward, MBJ.

I think the ideal candidate would be a transfer/JUCO wing/guard who is a shooter or a legit big with 1 or 2 years of eligibility. It would help balance the classes and the positions. I’ll Take anyone Rhoades wants though as would we all.

Last edited: