Recruiting What would you do with the last (known) scholly?

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
If it turns out that Mike decides to hold the scholarship till Spring then the staff will have a preseason and full season to ascertain what the critical needs are for next year. What may look like a strength or weakness at this juncture may in fact turn out to be something different. To me that's the beauty of holding on to a scholarship. Time will take the guesswork out of what is the highest and best use of the last scholarship. Right now we are basing some things on paper. We need to see these new kids(2019) in real-time. This will also give us a window of opportunity to look at our 2020 recruits during their senior year.
I agree @RAMification. From a recruiting standpoint, VCU is in the cat bird's seat right now. No need to rush on the last scholarship. Use the season to assess the future needs of the team, while still recruiting for 2020 and beyond. Only way I take a commit now is if they are a can't miss stud that drops into our laps. Plus, you never know who may transfer out at the end of this coming season. Recent history suggests at least one player will transfer out. I hope not, but that seems to be the pattern these days.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2014
There's no need to hold the last scholly. There's a lot of talent on this team which will probably lead to one or two more scholarships opening up in the spring.

WI.Ram10

Top Member
Aug 4, 2017
I’m in the boat of not purposely waiting just to wait. Sign that top level guy that you really like and wait and see what happens. With the new recruiting rules, kids seem to be committing earlier and earlier. I follow Wisconsin b-ball too, and they have 5 2020 commits and 3 2021 commits already. All but one are high level 3 stars and 4 stars. Get your guy and hope for no surprises come spring. If one does happen, a guy like Melvin or Hyland might just fall into your lap.

Reactions: RamBo

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
There are some great players still available that are interested in playing at VCU. Do you take someone from the known pool or do you hold it and see what opportunities could become available late in the recruiting cycle?
I am interested in all opinions on this. Personally, I would like to see the staff be patient and get the best addition possible or maybe a Juco or transfer.
With the amount of experience we lose I'd prefer our staff saved it for an experienced grad transfer or even just for a very high level sit one transfer (but preferably the grad transfer or even JUCO rout).

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
I’m in the boat of not purposely waiting just to wait. Sign that top level guy that you really like and wait and see what happens. With the new recruiting rules, kids seem to be committing earlier and earlier. I follow Wisconsin b-ball too, and they have 5 2020 commits and 3 2021 commits already. All but one are high level 3 stars and 4 stars. Get your guy and hope for no surprises come spring. If one does happen, a guy like Melvin or Hyland might just fall into your lap.
If they identify a kid they really like and are confident that he'll develop, they should (and I am pretty certain will) snag him now. But we have the luxury of waiting if we aren't very certain of our scout. Not a binary situation.

Reactions: BradRamFan

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
If they identify a kid they really like and are confident that he'll develop, they should (and I am pretty certain will) snag him now. But we have the luxury of waiting if we aren't very certain of our scout. Not a binary situation.
I agree. While I have been an advocate of holding that last scholarship until Spring that's not the way it's done today. When coaches have available scholarships they will invariably use them when they home-in on prospects that they believe are worthy. Because of the transfer culture(Portal) that permeates college athletics today most coaches don't worry as much about the availability of scholarships. It sort of takes care of itself. This is why I was somewhat surprised about the way things played out with Obinna. Then again, Mike did the right thing as usual.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009

Eric Bossi writes

"I know that Scrubb has been given the title of best prospect in the Junior College ranks, but do-it-all wing

Tyon Grant-Foster of Ottumwa (Iowa) Indiana Hills has to be in the conversation as well. A native of Kansas City, Kans., Grant-Foster is extremely versatile, athletic and still developing physically. There's a good reason that he's now racked up offers from Georgia, Kansas, Iowa State, LSU, Miami, Oklahoma State, Oregon, SMU, Texas A&M, Virginia Tech and others.".

We have not officially offered but we are in serious pursuit. Foster is one of the 5 best jucos in the country.