Recruiting What would you do with the last (known) scholly?

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I'm curious why you think so, Heel. Fussell doesn't have close to the offer sheet Gethro has.
Gethro seems like a pure post player. Fussell is just as big but can shoot from 3.

I like a more NBA offense where the floor is spread and the lane isn’t clogged so guards can penetrate and score. Fussell seems like a better prospect for that.

VCU74

Elite Member
I think Fussell is more likely and possibly better.
I was looking at the extra height which would be nice to have but given the way (to me) that we play, Fussell May be more versitile

74’s scouting reports come from googling some articles/vids, VRN, and a touch of beverage:)

Mistachill

Elite Member
Worrying about 4 years from now I feel is not a good use of my brain power or time. Heck, I might not be there to worry about it. Knocking wood.
That's why you get someone who can play right away. ?

A big 6-9 or 6-10 guy, whether freshman, JUCO or Graduate Transfer. We need another big body down low. Maybe 10-12 minutes a game, 5 points, 5 rebounds, a few blocks and several shot alternations.
But whatever Coach thinks the team needs is best for the team!

RamBo

Elite Member
This one is easy for me. We are stacked. We are loaded. We've got just about everything covered now. So what I would do now....... is I would go JAILBREAK Baby!!! I would plan to hold the scholly for next year. But I'd be wide open to using it on this Class too, if something big opened up in the near future. But what I am saying is... now what you do... is that you go out and you win. You get Ranked. You draw every minute of National Attention that you can, to the Program. You Dance, and Dance big. Then you nail down the baddest SOB that you can get your hands on. There will be a few that want in. I go for a long, talented athletic Freak in the 6'9 + range that can score some..... or a Flame-Throwing 4* 6'3 / 6'4 shooting guard... that can make nets hot. And beyond that.... any player that's a 4* Stud, and potential Program Changer. The point is... Mike and Staff are in a position now to be super selective. Get a game-changer with this last ship.

Last edited:

vcu70

Elite Member
This one is easy for me. We are stacked. We are loaded. We've got just about everything covered now. So what I would do now....... is I would go JAILBREAK Baby!!! I would plan to hold the scholly for next year. But I'd be wide open to using it on this Class too, if something big opened up in the near future. But what I am saying is... now what you do... is that you go out and you win. You get Ranked. You draw every minute of National Attention that you can, to the Program. You Dance, and Dance big. Then you nail down the baddest SOB that you can get your hands on. There will be a few that want in. I go for a long, talented athletic Freak in the 6'9 + range that can score some..... or a Flame-Throwing 4* 6'3 / 6'4 shooting guard... that can make nets hot. And beyond that.... any player that's a 4* Stud, and potential Program Changer. The point is... Mike and Staff are in a posiiton now to be super selective. Get a game-changer with this last ship.
Dick Vitale write this?

A big 6-9 or 6-10 guy, whether freshman, JUCO or Graduate Transfer. We need another big body down low. Maybe 10-12 minutes a game, 5 points, 5 rebounds, a few blocks and several shot alternations.
But whatever Coach thinks the team needs is best for the team!
Agree. There were many games where Mo scored single digits but was the most valuable player on the floor for us. Set great picks, grabbed rebounds or took up space so others grabbed them and protected the rim.

rammad90

Elite Member
First I think Mike and crew have done a good job assembling long, athletic, wings, and point guards these last couple of years. I also think we are a bit short on the interior.

Therefore, I'd go with a true 6'9 or better post player. For me the player doesnt have to be a great shooter past 10 feet as long as he can play D, protect the rim, rebound, set a good pick, and run the floor. We are gonna have shooters this year.

Now as to when I'd pull the trigger, it depends on who's looking to sign. I say sign it as soon as you think you have a guy who can contribute. If down the road a can't miss guy you covet comes along (preferably a transfer or juco to balance out the classes) your sign him and make a tough decision moving forward.

Last edited:

rammad90

Elite Member
I'll take the other side of that argument. Obviously you don't take someone who looks to be a problem child, but I think the staff needs to use every scholarship they have to improve the team. You find the best player possible to fit your needs, and you never take a lesser talent just because he seems to be a good kid. If the culture is right in your program (and that is what MR has been working on since his first day here), that kid will fit in. If he doesn't, there will be another place for him down the road.
I agree with you N Mollen. Now no one is suggesting we take a kid who is certain to be a trouble maker. However, we are talking about 18 year old young men. Some only need a good environment in order to flourish. I think SS started the process and Mike has followed up strongly ensuring that our guys consider each other and the coaches family, they look out for one and other, and they hold themselves and their teammates to a high standard. Mike Gilmore was an example of that, he came back to VCU knowing he wouldn't get many minutes, but the environment was better than most places he had been.

In most cases, get the talent and all things will work out or as you state there will be another place for the person down the road.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
I agree with you N Mollen. Now no one is suggesting we take a kid who is certain to be a trouble maker. However, we are talking about 18 year old young men. Some only need a good environment in order to flourish. I think SS started the process and Mike has followed up strongly ensuring that our guys consider each other and the coaches family, they look out for one and other, and they hold themselves and their teammates to a high standard. Mike Gilmore was an example of that, he came back to VCU knowing he wouldn't get many minutes, but the environment was better than most places he had been.

In most cases, get the talent and all things will work out or as you state there will be another place for the person down the road.
Slightly off topic, but one of the things that makes college ball infinitely more fun for me than the NBA is watching exactly that. I think of Melvin as the perfect example. Came in unwilling to play defense or commit fully to the team, was not a serious student, but turned into the prototype young man we want the program to turn out. I remember watching his TedTalk and just marveling at how he had grown as a person.

I was an idiot at 18. Some would say I still am. But I hope we don't deny good kids opportunities because they have showed at 16 or 17 the maturity levels most 16 or 17 year old boys typically display, which is to say "low."