Recruiting What would you do with the last (known) scholly?

RAMification

Elite Member
I certainly have my own thoughts on how to utilize that last scholarship as I have expressed earlier. Last night it dawned on me that I can make this an easy exercise. Given the outstanding job Mike and his hard working staff have done over the past couple years on the recruiting front I want whoever THEY identify as being the next vital piece to the puzzle. One thing is for sure, they are in the catbird seat and have earned the privilege of sitting back being very selective and maybe hitting one out of the park.

I have to wonder how long that scholarship will last as VCU is "white hot" right now and there are a lot of prospects that would like to hop on the Ramnation Train.

I certainly have my own thoughts on how to utilize that last scholarship as I have expressed earlier. Last night it dawned on me that I can make this an easy exercise. Given the outstanding job Mike and his hard working staff have done over the past couple years on the recruiting front I want whoever THEY identify as being the next vital piece to the puzzle. One thing is for sure, they are in the catbird seat and have earned the privilege of sitting back being very selective and maybe hitting one out of the park.

I have to wonder how long that scholarship will last as VCU is "white hot" right now and there are a lot of prospects that would like to hop on the Ramnation Train.
I feel the same way and was about to post almost the same message. You beat me to it. MR and his amazing staff are white hot and maybe that will force/push a great recruit to make a quicker decision because VCU is filling up fast. Great position to be in. From all the press we got with a double signing day, it sent a shock wave through the recruiting community.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I don’t think there’s any way that we’d hold a scholarship if Gordon or Taylor wanted to commit. Either one would be the highest rated recruit in our class and they both fit the hybrid, interchangeable player system that Rhoades seems to want. From the limited film I’ve seen, if we got Gordon, he looks like he would be the most polished offensive player we would have brought in for quite some time. He can score at all levels and is very athletic.

Fussell may be more of a project than those 2, but we just hosted him on an OV for a reason. IMO, he might have the highest upside of the group.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
One thing we may not be considering is Corey's status.......I know absolutely NOTHING about it!!!! But he attended Rice one year, JUCO one year, and will have been at VCU for two years come the end of this season. When will he actually graduate? And if he does graduate at the end of this season, will he stay a grad year?
Just throwing stuff out there....as I said, I know absolutely NOTHING regarding Corey's status. But he will have been in college 4 years as of the end of this season....plus several summers.

WI.Ram10

Elite Member
One thing we may not be considering is Corey's status.......I know absolutely NOTHING about it!!!! But he attended Rice one year, JUCO one year, and will have been at VCU for two years come the end of this season. When will he actually graduate? And if he does graduate at the end of this season, will he stay a grad year?
Just throwing stuff out there....as I said, I know absolutely NOTHING regarding Corey's status. But he will have been in college 4 years as of the end of this season....plus several summers.
He’s been coached by Rhoades for 3 years (after this year). I can’t imagine him going anywhere.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Pretty sure he got a medical for his first year.

He did. I believe the OP’s point was that he’d be eligible for a grad transfer should he choose to go that route. Good question to ask, but per the first reply there are good reasons to believe that he would stay with this coaching staff.

rammad90

Elite Member
Slightly off topic, but one of the things that makes college ball infinitely more fun for me than the NBA is watching exactly that. I think of Melvin as the perfect example. Came in unwilling to play defense or commit fully to the team, was not a serious student, but turned into the prototype young man we want the program to turn out. I remember watching his TedTalk and just marveling at how he had grown as a person.

I was an idiot at 18. Some would say I still am. But I hope we don't deny good kids opportunities because they have showed at 16 or 17 the maturity levels most 16 or 17 year old boys typically display, which is to say "low."
Well stated and I 100% agree. I always looked at college, and the military as places where young men and women learned to become adults.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
While I made the original post on Corey, I too think he will stay (perhaps unless he got a lucrative offer or something). This will basically only be his sophomore year/2nd full year playing at the D1 level. If he does graduate next year, I think he would stay simply to continue developing his skills as a player. He has much more growth (skill) in him IMO....and hopefully we see it continue this season. Moving to a different program (if he did graduate) would necessitate learning a new scheme which would set him back IMO....especially since he will be the major player at th 5 position with the graduation of MSS based on our current/2020 roster.

Mcuff

Elite Member
While I made the original post on Corey, I too think he will stay (perhaps unless he got a lucrative offer or something). This will basically only be his sophomore year/2nd full year playing at the D1 level. If he does graduate next year, I think he would stay simply to continue developing his skills as a player. He has much more growth (skill) in him IMO....and hopefully we see it continue this season. Moving to a different program (if he did graduate) would necessitate learning a new scheme which would set him back IMO....especially since he will be the major player at th 5 position with the graduation of MSS based on our current/2020 roster.
MSS and Corey are both going to be juniors this year, they are in the same class. But no matter what he will have a huge role the next two years. Great defensive player when he got here and he improved a good deal over last season offensively. Brent Scott is doing a great job developing our bigs. Corey was starting to show some flashes of an offensive post game. If he can be a threat to hit outside shots he and MSS could be on the floor together which would be huge when we play bigger front courts. Mike Rhodes has said that Corey shoots well in practice and just needs to get more comfortable in games.

As for the last scholly I want us to get a veteran guy. 4 sophs and 5 freshman next year would be a big challenge for the coaching staff. Having one more veteran rotation piece could make a huge difference next year. But like others have said you want the most talented guy possible, no matter the class.

MSS and Corey are both going to be juniors this year, they are in the same class. But no matter what he will have a huge role the next two years. Great defensive player when he got here and he improved a good deal over last season offensively. Brent Scott is doing a great job developing our bigs. Corey was starting to show some flashes of an offensive post game. If he can be a threat to hit outside shots he and MSS could be on the floor together which would be huge when we play bigger front courts. Mike Rhodes has said that Corey shoots well in practice and just needs to get more comfortable in games.

As for the last scholly I want us to get a veteran guy. 4 sophs and 5 freshman next year would be a big challenge for the coaching staff. Having one more veteran rotation piece could make a huge difference next year. But like others have said you want the most talented guy possible, no matter the class.
couple him with a full scale big and he will tear it up in the 4 position.

Ululating Daddy

Elite Member
At this point, the one talent I'd like to see us add is a three-point shooter. Does Troy Daniels have any eligibility left? :D

I'm still a proponent of trying to balance the classes, within reason. A four-man freshman class will hopefully be at least three solid upper classmen after two years of growth. So in my mind, the best case is a sharpshooter transfer added to either of the two-man classes coming up - with MSS and Corey, or Vince and KeShawn. If it's a sit one/play two transfer, I think this year's team is formidable enough to accept that scenario.

Mistachill

Elite Member

Yeah, I'd like to see us get a big version of Simms in here. He always seemed mature beyond his years, total team player, willing to accept his role and do whatever to help the team. If we could find a 6-10 JUCO version of him that would be ideal.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
At this point, the one talent I'd like to see us add is a three-point shooter. Does Troy Daniels have any eligibility left? :D

I'm still a proponent of trying to balance the classes, within reason. A four-man freshman class will hopefully be at least three solid upper classmen after two years of growth. So in my mind, the best case is a sharpshooter transfer added to either of the two-man classes coming up - with MSS and Corey, or Vince and KeShawn. If it's a sit one/play two transfer, I think this year's team is formidable enough to accept that scenario.
I’d take 4 years of DJ Gordon sharpshooting over 1-2 years from a transfer. If you want to add a 3 point shooter, then he’s your guy.