Recruiting What would you do with the last (known) scholly?

vcubob

Insider
Apr 19, 2009
P6 schools will almost always have the upper hand.

Half of the A-10 is “little league.” Tiny programs, tiny private school fan bases, ridiculously outdated facilities, and little excitement/buzz/investment; 6-7 programs treading water, collecting their annual A-10 payouts, and swimming in a sea of irrelevancy.

Like most things in life, the elite aspire to bigger/better, as they rightfully should.

VCU basketball generally benefits from this malaise/mediocrity on the win-loss side of the ledger but we also pay for it in many other ways (recruiting, scheduling, exposure, perception, revenue, TV, SOS, tourney seeding, etc).

Life as a non-P6............

We’ve actually done a remarkable job over the past 16 years considering the obstacles/landscape/company.

We’re never going to get the truly elite recruits. We primarily live in the 100-350 (recruit rankings) neighborhood which is about right considering the school, conference, competition, facilities, etc.

“You are who you hang out with........”
I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised in a few years. I'm satisfied with this class, {hoping to pull in a high ranked big or a pure shooter who has the tools to run/defend} but I expect Rams will continue to gain national stature moving forward with the concomitant rise in the value of a VCU scholarship. Granted I have high expectations , but I expect Rhoades to be here a while + the new development center + Basketball is the marque sport {no battling football player in the lunch line} => top 25 expectations moving forward. {hey I'm a fan and I've been wrong before but I like the way things are trending}.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
If VCU can gain some traction in the dance and get to the sweet 16 and/or get to the final of the Emerald Classic or win the A10 conference championship, I think you will see a few 4 stars start to fall for the program again. With our senior laden class, this is the class to do it. Plus the A10 overall looks to be stronger this year which should help....assuming we stay at/near the top. Hopefully we get three teams into the dance without having to have some wacky A10 winner to get there like we did ....2 years ago I think.
Nonetheless, I am really sold on our current frosh and the 2020 incoming class. It seems like the overall talent level across the board is pretty high vs having signees with different levels of talent. But then again, none of them have played a D1 game so we will have to wait and see.
And although I am not close to the program or anyone in it, it does seem like the level of buy-in by the players is pretty high. I think that really helps with chemistry and trust on the court....which is probably worth more than a couple of rating stars anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ramcounter

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
What is wrong with you guys!
This is helluva a ckass so far. We picked one of the best pure pg's in the country.,One of the top 10 best players in the state of North Carolina #8, a versatile forward who led his prep to the New Jersey state championship at least once and another forward who was the 6th man on the defending national champion hs team for 2019!

Everyone of.these recruits can play defense! They can all score at 3 levels. We've increased our.length on the perimeter across the board by 2-3 inches ar every position!

Its VCU Christmas day! C'mon get psyched
!!!

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Not sure why, but Bones' height stood out on that article preview. Seemed low. Checked the vcu roster. It has him 2 inches taller ?‍♂
he's listed as 6'3"-6'4" pretty much everywhere else.

ALWAYS take these recruiting sites with a grain of salt. Also, kids his age grow

Reactions: RAMification

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
Henry Coleman going to Duke. Obviously, they are again unbelievably loaded. Maybe if he doesn't get the burn he's looking for there we can pick him up as a transfer down the road.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Henry Coleman going to Duke. Obviously, they are again unbelievably loaded. Maybe if he doesn't get the burn he's looking for there we can pick him up as a transfer down the road.
iMHO...Obinna > Coleman

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
At this point in each program's timeline, what makes VCU a better program than Tech? Buzz elevated Tech's program quite a bit before he left for Texas A&M.
Continuity? I understand the counterpoint, but I would like to see how the new guy does for a few seasons (or even one season) before entertaining the argument. Maybe their program has absorbed some institutional memory of success. I know ours has.

Regardless, no particular surprise he was considering Tech and UVA. Don't think Wade or Rhoades seriously tried recruiting him and the draw of going where Mom or Dad went is pretty strong for most folks. Amusing he ended up at Duke when UVA fans assumed he was all but committed for years now.