Recruiting What would you do with the last (known) scholly?

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
I like Obinna a lot. My wife and I talked to him and his handler when he came to a game last year. My wife and I have also seen Coleman in person. Your equation is not correct. We felt Coleman>Bacot.
I think that was his dad, Doug Killen.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
I like Obinna a lot. My wife and I talked to him and his handler when he came to a game last year. My wife and I have also seen Coleman in person. Your equation is not correct. We felt Coleman>Bacot.
Coleman is really good. But coleman doesnt have obinna'a length, speed, shooting range or handles. Coleman has more strength and uses it well getting to the basket.

Alot of people.are missing out on obinna.

However, I think obinna is a lottery pick when its all is said and done.

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
For most of these kids and parents of players who will be in school less than 1-2 years before turning pro and not even getting close to earning a degree, it’s all about affiliation/prestige. They and their family will forever be associated with Duke, Kansas, UNC, Kentucky, etc, wear the swag for a lifetime, come back on alumni days (even though no degree), attend games, etc. They want that visibility, that affirmation, that notoriety, that prestige that comes with Blue Blood affiliation. Impressing friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, etc is all part of it. Everybody has an ego. Most kids (and their parents) want the spotlight, especially in the modern social media era.

The other side of it is draft position. History tells us that the blue blood kids are rated favorably (often times too favorable) on NBA draft boards. With guaranteed salary slotting, draft position is crucial. Perception and potential is much more important than actual proven production/skills. See Harry Giles.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
Emotions are great. They aren’t reality.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
Having p5 offers isn't always the litmus test. Just ask.Ja morant.

Obinna is the most underrated player in the 2020.class. He could easily one of the best 20 players.

Guys like Timberlake and Coleman are really good. But Obnina'a upside is on a different level.
Offers are the best way to judge a recruit. High level coaches are the best judges of talent (and risk). That’s why they’re at the top of their profession. And it’s why rankings closely follow offers. Following offers is valuable.

Saying Obinna is severely underrated is actually a comment about our coaching staff that took 2 other recruits and told him he couldn’t take an official visit.

Reactions: N Mollen

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Offers are the best way to judge a recruit. High level coaches are the best judges of talent (and risk). That’s why they’re at the top of their profession. And it’s why rankings closely follow offers. Following offers is valuable.

Saying Obinna is severely underrated is actually a comment about our coaching staff that took 2 other recruits and told him he couldn’t take an official visit.
I love our coaching staff and they've done a helluva recruiting job but I don't agree with them
on letting obinna walk.

I would have filled that last scholarly with obinna.

I can't think of a better recruit on our remaining prospect list than obinna.

I think obinna's recruitment issues are lack of exposure in a rural area and playing on a pedestrian aau team.

The all-Ohio red aau coaches didn't do him any favors by sitting him this first two and half games at peach jam. When they finally did play him. He averaged a double/double, outplayed the likes of john hugley and more than held his own against Isaiah todd!!

As you know Todd is the best recruit recruit coming out of vriginis in a long time.

Last edited:

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I love our coaching staff and they've done a helluva recruiting job but I don't agree with them
on letting obinna walk.

I think obinna's recruitment issues are lack of exposure in a rural area and playing on a pedestrian aau team.

The all-Ohio red aau coaches didn't do him any favors by sitting him this first two and half games at peach jam. When they finally did play him. He averaged a double/double, outplayed the likes of john hugley and more than held his own against Isaiah todd!!

As you know Todd is the best recruit recruit coming out of vriginis in a long time.
Maybe they got a tip from the Fussell Camp OR that JC rumor has serious legs to it?

Reactions: duncanlamb
May 4, 2012
on letting obinna walk.

You are right to point out why obinna is better for this team. P5 like the ither kid because he is a wider body which they require. Rhoades doesnt want wide bodies but values length.
As i hear from your detractors elsewhere, fit is key.
It was true in those other situations, it remains true with this one.

Reactions: duncanlamb