Recruiting What would you do with the last (known) scholly?

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
I love our coaching staff and they've done a helluva recruiting job but I don't agree with them
on letting obinna walk.

I would have filled that last scholarly with obinna.

I can't think of a better recruit on our remaining prospect list than obinna.

I think obinna's recruitment issues are lack of exposure in a rural area and playing on a pedestrian aau team.

The all-Ohio red aau coaches didn't do him any favors by sitting him this first two and half games at peach jam. When they finally did play him. He averaged a double/double, outplayed the likes of john hugley and more than held his own against Isaiah todd!!

As you know Todd is the best recruit recruit coming out of vriginis in a long time.
It's entirely possible that the staff has better players hooked up on the radar. That last schollie is key to future success.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
It's entirely possible that the staff has better players hooked up on the radar. That last schollie is key to future success.

It's possible, but I actually think obinna criminally underrated. The only player on our current list whom I think is better than obinna is Noah Farrahkan.

Farrahkan was one of the main players who led IMG to the HS National Championship. Frankly he is more underrated than Obinna.

Anyway, if the staff could leverage Mikeal Brown Jones relationship with Farrahkan to sign him then we are probably a top 25 squad in 20-21.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Here is my personal opinion based on nothing but my personal opinion. Obinna could have been a ram if he chose to be one. My complete guess is the decision was made to weigh all the options and see what other offers came because much like @duncanlamb , he and his camp believed he was underrated.( I know Mr K sometimes stops by this board so let me be clear. This only my opinion based on an outsiders view and being around the game at many levels for a long time) I also believe that the staff felt similar about OAK and MBJ as far as fit and how they would be utilized. When MBJ decided to his "change of plan" the door began to close. I am perfectly fine with the outcome of events just as I would have been perfectly fine if OAK pulled the trigger first. I have seen MBJ play more than once in person and I have never seen OAK play in person. Also on of the things that is just as important as talent is fit and chemistry. I am certainly saying that this staff is above being questioned but time after time they continue to impress with there long term strategy

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Obinna is a terrific kid and will have a nice career at Marshall. He is definitely a good get for them. This is a classic case where timing was everything. Scholarship offers don't have permanence. VCU is very much in demand right now. Mike and his staff knew they had to produce a class with both quality and quantity this year and they really got to it. All four commits were first choice prospects. Most likely had Obinna pulled the trigger earlier he would be a Ram. He waited and the rest is history. We got the guys we wanted.

I know Mark Cline(Marshall Assistant) well from his days at VCU under Capel. Mark and I had many long conversations about recruits and recruiting strategy while he was at VCU. He was sort of waiting in the wings for Obinna and will take good care of him at MU. Mark was a high school All-American and played his college ball at Wake Forest. He hails from West Virginia.

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Mark Cline did good work here with our bigs.
Yes he did. The irony is that Mark was a phenomenal 3-point shooter in high school and at Wake.

Mark also did a great job of recruiting Eric Maynor. He and Jeff were present at the Dean Dome when Eric was playing against Jamie Skeen's team in the state championship game. In a close contest in a near sell-out crowd Jamie's team won and he was the MVP by a narrow margin over Eric. Those were the days before Jamie had knee trouble. He was a high-flyer then. Many spectacular dunks. I was siting in Eric's cheering section and the energy level was like that in the SC.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Yes he did. The irony is that Mark was a phenomenal 3-point shooter in high school and at Wake.

Mark also did a great job of recruiting Eric Maynor. He and Jeff were present at the Dean Dome when Eric was playing against Jamie Skeen's team in the state championship game. In a close contest in a near sell-out crowd Jamie's team won and he was the MVP by a narrow margin over Eric. Those were the days before Jamie had knee trouble. He was a high-flyer then. Many spectacular dunks. I was siting in Eric's cheering section and the energy level was like that in the SC.
I remember Capel once saying they went to see Maynor in a tournament and actually hoped he sucked so that other schools wouldn't pursue him because they knew he was going to be good. But I don't think anyone thought he'd be NBA good.

If I remember correctly wasn't it us and App State? Maybe ECU was in the mix too?

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I remember Capel once saying they went to see Maynor in a tournament and actually hoped he sucked so that other schools wouldn't pursue him because they knew he was going to be good. But I don't think anyone thought he'd be NBA good.

If I remember correctly wasn't it us and App State? Maybe ECU was in the mix too?
You're right. Both Jeff and Mark thought he was the steal in that class. When they saw him at the Dean Dome in the state championship game he had really blown-up but luckily had signed with VCU.

RamBo

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
We are loaded now, with the typical VCU wrecking Crew - the big, super athletic, versatile athletes that can play multiple positions. The types of guys that we have made a living on now, for the better part of 20 years. And the kind of guys that Mike knows how to win with- just as his predecessors did. I am good with whatever, and whomever Mike wants to bring in here. The Cat knows what he is doing. He has a plan, and he has executed it like a CEO, to date anyway. But since we're talking..... gimme a flame-throwing shooter now, to round things off. A game-changing type of shooter, who is also athletic enough to run, the way we like to run. For me- that's the last piece. Then, with the next class, you can grab another big.

Last edited:

Ululating Daddy

Top Member
Jan 13, 2016
We are loaded now, with the typical VCU wrecking Crew - the big, super athletic, versatile athletes that can play multiple positions. The types of guys that we have made a living on now, for the better part of 20 years. And the kind of guys that Mike knows how to win with- just as his predecessors did. I am good with whatever, and whomever Mike wants to bring in here. The Cat knows what he is doing. He has a plan, and he has executed it like a CEO, to date, anyway. But since we're talking..... gimme a flame-throwing shooter now, to round things off. A game-changing type of shooter, who is also athletic enough to run, the way we like to run. For me- that's the last piece. Then, with the next class, you can grab another big.
I just can't get past the feeling that this last commit is going to make our jaws drop. :o

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
We are loaded now, with the typical VCU wrecking Crew - the big, super athletic, versatile athletes that can play multiple positions. The types of guys that we have made a living on now, for the better part of 20 years. And the kind of guys that Mike knows how to win with- just as his predecessors did. I am good with whatever, and whomever Mike wants to bring in here. The Cat knows what he is doing. He has a plan, and he has executed it like a CEO, to date, anyway. But since we're talking..... gimme a flame-throwing shooter now, to round things off. A game-changing type of shooter, who is also athletic enough to run, the way we like to run. For me- that's the last piece. Then, with the next class, you can grab another big.
I agree. Mike and company have executed their strategic recruiting plan with aplomb. They needed a "base" recruiting year in terms of both quality and quantity and they got it. Now they can sit-back and cherry-pick with the last scholarship. It would appear they will try to lock-down a big-time shooting wing or another post player. My guess is they will be very selective and try to secure an elite player at one of those positions. No rush - the pressure is off.