Recruiting What would you do with the last (known) scholly?

WI.Ram10

Top Member
Aug 4, 2017
Guess that visit this weekend won’t be happening then! Oh well. Looking forward to the 2019 class and their performances this year for now!

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015

Says Gordon has dropped VCU and Providence while Pitt isn't in contact with him as much anymore. Down to 3 Iowa, Penn St, and Minnesota.
Not the least bit surprising. With 5 guys graduating, I think it's becoming quite clear that staff will be looking for at least 1 transfer to round out the 2020 class. My bet would be on a grad transfer PG (perhaps a 3rd year coming out of JUCO) or 5 (probably would take a sit one center).

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Not the least bit surprising. With 5 guys graduating, I think it's becoming quite clear that staff will be looking for at least 1 transfer to round out the 2020 class. My bet would be on a grad transfer PG (perhaps a 3rd year coming out of JUCO) or 5 (probably would take a sit one center).
Makes sense. Either bring in an experienced/ready to go now player or a really, really good high school recruit (preferably a big) who would be considered the best player in this class, though I imagine we could use some shooters.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
I’m not sure PG will be a big need with Bones and Baldwin on the team in 2020-21. I think we should be fine at that position.

I feel like we will need to add a young big to this class to play one year with MSS and Douglas before they graduate and leave is with just Ward in 2021-22. A transfer that would sit one year and have 2-3 left to play would also work.

And adding shooters is always important in today’s game. We’re going to lose a lot of perimeter firepower after this season and it’s yet to be seen how many of our young guys will be consistent perimeter threats. I’m disappointed that Gordon appears to be out because he seemed like a great option in this respect.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
I’m not sure PG will be a big need with Bones and Baldwin on the team in 2020-21. I think we should be fine at that position.

I feel like we will need to add a young big to this class to play one year with MSS and Douglas before they graduate and leave is with just Ward in 2021-22. A transfer that would sit one year and have 2-3 left to play would also work.

And adding shooters is always important in today’s game. We’re going to lose a lot of perimeter firepower after this season and it’s yet to be seen how many of our young guys will be consistent perimeter threats. I’m disappointed that Gordon appears to be out because he seemed like a great option in this respect.
Bigs: Mo Mjie, Mounir Hima, Nigel.John or juco Valder Manuel
Wings: Juco Tyon Grant Foster
Guard: Noah Farrahkan

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009

I concur with this assessment. we have have on position for sure and history says we will have one in the spring. I would prefer we not have 6 people in one class so A big and a sharpshooter in that order would be my preference. IF by chance history does not repeat itself and we only have one more position this year, I take a big. I say that because that will mean to me that everyone has found a "spot" that fits our needs meaning one of the freshmen or sophomores as proven to be a capable knock down shooter.

Since I haven't seen the team working out this summer, I am going way out on a limb

X-factors for this season for me are

Curry
  • Can he defend
  • Can he score at all three levels
  • can he get weak side rebounds
Clark
  • Can he defend
  • Can he score from distance
  • Does he have good handles
  • Can he facilitate the offense
McAllister
  • Can he defend
  • Can he get to the basket and finish
  • Can he shoot a mid-range jumper
If these guys can do this, I think we can be very selective with any additions

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
We speak of schools having different types of offers, maybe 3 or 4. P5 offers mean a lot if they are they are the type of offer they can take anytime. Can someone explain the different type of offers by P5s and how they pan out. I know they can vary by coach but never seem to be explained here. Are some dependent upon a visit and try out with the team?

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
We speak of schools having different types of offers, maybe 3 or 4. P5 offers mean a lot if they are they are the type of offer they can take anytime. Can someone explain the different type of offers by P5s and how they pan out. I know they can vary by coach but never seem to be explained here. Are some dependent upon a visit and try out with the team?
Offer types don't differ by program level. At almost no level are all offers comittable, i.e you say yes at anytime and the school excepts. Now, the further down a school is, the more likely they are to be comittable. If say a kid has offers from UVA and William and Mary, he is probably able to tell W&M I accept more readily and they accept than say UVA because UVA can be more selective. This is why you hear people saying that the dominoes are beginning to fall.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015

I think there's a lot of merit in your points, but I think the importance of PGs in Rhoades' system underscores the need for an experienced PG transfer.

For the 2020 season, we'll know a bit about Bones and coach is likely to know whether Bones can start at PG as a sophomore. Ace, as a freshman, will be a relatively unknown quantity. I think last season, when PJ was running point, demonstrated that we need at least 2 capable lead guards.

We've shown the capability not only to manage, bit thrive with a team without a traditional 'big'. In 2020, we'll have MSS as a senior and Watkins and MBJ as sophomores.

For those reasons, I think an experienced PG is a higher concern.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
I think there's a lot of merit in your points, but I think the importance of PGs in Rhoades' system underscores the need for an experienced PG transfer.

For the 2020 season, we'll know a bit about Bones and coach is likely to know whether Bones can start at PG as a sophomore. Ace, as a freshman, will be a relatively unknown quantity. I think last season, when PJ was running point, demonstrated that we need at least 2 capable lead guards.

We've shown the capability not only to manage, bit thrive with a team without a traditional 'big'. In 2020, we'll have MSS as a senior and Watkins and MBJ as sophomores.

For those reasons, I think an experienced PG is a higher concern.
I think Clark and maybe one of our other guards can play PG behind Bones if Ace isn’t ready.

IMO, if we want to start having this program go to the second weekend often then we need more reliable post play than we’ve had most of the last decade.

RamBo

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
No transfers. We don't need that now. Go for broke, with a Big-Time 4-Year guy. That's how you build. We aren't hurting anywhere, and thus, I don't see the need for a Transfer. My 2 cents. I wouldn't be upset with a Transfer, or whomever Mike wants to bring in, for that matter. But what I want is a Stud Freshman. And I'm like Tampa.... except I flip em.' Shooter first. Not a gadget player that just so happens can shoot it. But a real shooter. The kind of shooter that scares People, and has to be accounted for at all times. But one that can still defend, and run * how we run. * And the Big is #2 on my list. I still think we can grab another big in the next class. But I'd love either of those 2 things.

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
If it turns out that Mike decides to hold the scholarship till Spring then the staff will have a preseason and full season to ascertain what the critical needs are for next year. What may look like a strength or weakness at this juncture may in fact turn out to be something different. To me that's the beauty of holding on to a scholarship. Time will take the guesswork out of what is the highest and best use of the last scholarship. Right now we are basing some things on paper. We need to see these new kids(2019) in real-time. This will also give us a window of opportunity to look at our 2020 recruits during their senior year.