What'd you Expect!

CrozetRam

Elite Member
I expected us to not look so sloppy and immature as a team. I also expected we would fail to capitalize on the early season opportunities because that‘s part of our DNA.

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
I expect to see what I've always seen, a story that has its ups and downs, one that can get better as the story (season) progresses. Yeah, your attitude about things is formed at least partially based on initial expectations. But I don't expect perfection, not right off the bat with what is mostly a young team. I expect hard play, and I have seen that. I know if one or two things get clicking they can quickly turn a page. They're working hard trying to get better and gel as a squad. I'm expecting just that. But I didn't expect them to begin the season all glued together and humming. That'll come.

I expected two losses - Michigan and Memphis.

more composure, meaning running an offense that produces baskets

not turning the ball over so much (even MR says the goal is 12)

ending on defense with the rebound

better control of emotions on the court (no technicals)

at least one, be nice to have a few, junk yard dog(s)

With our OOC schedule we weren't going to have a signature win. Maybe if we snuck up on Michigan.

However, even if we win today our resume isnt any more damaged that it would've been with two losses. At the end of the day, to expect us to win all our games is unrealistic at best. To expect our guys to beat Memphis without Ace also unrealistic.

So where are we? Yup complaining because we lost to Temple.

We lost four of our top 6 players. We had one kid come back from injury. Our best guy by far, missed four games. When he was down last year we had the same issue and outcome.

I think we all understand what NCAA Basketball is about as many of us have been around it for 40 plus years. We remember the lean years at VCU and how tough making the Dance used to be. We get it.

However, many of us also understand that while we havent exceed expectations thus far, given where we started we have a good chance to be at or near the top in the A10 regular season and if we continue to grow we will have a good chance to get to the A10 title game.

Not many teams at our level lose NBA level players back to back years plus a ton of role players and then are better off the bat in year 3. You stated what NCAA basketball "is about". I am hoping your understand how things typically play out and typically they dont playout with a better record than we have presently given the circumstance. Talent or not.

Finally, iif you stated you elected better play and less lapse, well maybe I'd agree. But better record? Seriously, Bad resume? Nah just not great but certainly not bad. Now if we drop any of the other games we might reclassify our OOC as bad. Maybe.

A side note, you must be absolutely livid about the state of affairs in Chapel Hill.
Can we stop with the amount of people we lost? UR has essentially a whole new team from the A10 title team last year and beat temple handily. The same temple pulled away everytime we got close today. Rhoades put the expectations in place. He didn’t have to make the statements about how good this team was. But he did.

ramsareus

Elite Member
Disappointing for sure but nothing new. I have been a fan since the early 70’s. Can’t even remember when we last won an early season tournament. We have also consistently lost so called big opportunity games under Noe, Kirk, Barnett, Polio, Smith, McCarthy, Capel, Grant, Smart, Wade, and now Rhoades. Go look it up. If message boards existed all those years I’m sure we would see the same criticisms posted then that we are reading now. Not sure why but it’s been an unfortunate trend. The good news is that many more times than not we have had very good seasons and I see no reason why this season won’t be any different. Again it’s frustrating but it’s been this way for a long, long time. Hang in there we will be fine folks!

ramsareus

Elite Member
Can we stop with the amount of people we lost? UR has essentially a whole new team from the A10 title team last year and beat temple handily. The same temple pulled away everytime we got close today. Rhoades put the expectations in place. He didn’t have to make the statements about how good this team was. But he did.
Comparing scores is dangerous. So since Vanderbilt beat Temple we should have also? Temple is playing much better now. Speaking of UR I would be hard pressed to believe we would lose to William and Mary.

RamStrut

Elite Member
No one is expecting to win all games, it’s how we look in doing so. We don’t pass the eye test, we play a bad brand of basketball, and we don’t see much changing. Most of us who are critical understand just how important and rare an opportunity comes to be a national brand and that has slipped out of our grasp and is continuing to fall. The final four run did so much for our program and now we are seeing ourselves fall back into mediocrity. That was our chance. Opportunities like that do not come often.

Last edited:

Mistachill

Elite Member
I expect us to be in the NCAA tournament in March. I don't care how we get there, that's on MR. And I don't want to hear about how many players we lost from last year's team when the head coach states that THIS is the deepest team he has had since returning.

I'm not jumping off the ledge losing to Temple on the road but I'll say this, I'm not trying to hear any excuses...I mean..."reasons" for losing any of the next five games.

RamLover

Elite Member
Seriously. It’s college basketball. It comes in waves. Teams get really good then sometimes get really bad. We are a midmajor basketball school. I know it sucks we couldn’t keep a national brand going after Shaka, but we aren’t magic.

Louisville, NC state, Xavier, Temple….all programs that have waves of being good and really bad again.

Wichita state, SLU, Dayton, Davidson, Loyola-Chicago, Memphis- same story with them. We’re all above-average programs with off and on years. There are only a few elite programs what will always be good, and even those programs have questionable losses to smaller, less talented schools every single freaking day. It’s parity. It’s why college basketball is more exciting than football. Anything can happen in any game.

Temple beat a #16 Villanova squad this season. Richmond beat this Temple team but lost to William and Mary today.
#10 Indiana lost to Rutgers today.
Top 5 UVA only had a five point win over a 1-9 Florida State team today.
Davidson has been good this season and lost to Delaware today.
IT’S COLLEGE BASKETBALL! We are still a top mid-major team, but we haven’t been a consistent top 25 team in a really long time, so we need to stop acting like that’s the expectation around here.

And yes, it sucks and is worse than usual for us to not be a top-100 program, but we haven’t had a lot of opportunity this year and have had our best player out in the stretch of our most important games of the OOC schedule. It makes sense…

Rise up and do our best each and every game, but let’s not live in la-la-land.

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
Thread title is interesting... I would say I have to agree. It's not like VCU ever performs well in the early season formats. Not sure why that is. Shaka, Will, and Mike all had their issues winning early and it's so important for this program.

So ya, I got exactly what I expected. They should play the freshman a lot and get ready for next year.
It's a little early to pack it in and call it a season.

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
A coach is not going to spend all summer talking about how bad the team is.

rammad90

Elite Member
I expect us to be in the NCAA tournament in March. I don't care how we get there, that's on MR. And I don't want to hear about how many players we lost from last year's team when the head coach states that THIS is the deepest team he has had since returning.

I'm not jumping off the ledge losing to Temple on the road but I'll say this, I'm not trying to hear any excuses...I mean..."reasons" for losing any of the next five games.
Look that fair. But 8 games in and 5-3 doesnt really present any reason to "jump off the ledge". I to expect to play in the NCAA tournament I think when when you invest the type money we do in this program that is a reasonable expectation.

However, the damned sky isnt falling and this team is deep. Now what Mike and the coaching staff need to do is simply blend the talent. Look at supposed league leader Dayton they are seemingly a mess but I am pretty sure they will be right there come tournament time.

Similarly speaking, we are not a mess, we are a typical VCU Mike Rhodes team. We are a work in progress. However, we should be able to run off about 7 in a row. We do that and we are in good shape.

Personally, I expect that we really wont jell until about the first Davidson game. Then look out.

Finally, before we start the proverbial "It'll never work"manta lets give it time.