Which newcomer are you looking foward to see play?

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Definitely Ace, but I am also looking forward to seeing McAlister this year after a full season in the program. He just might make the biggest leap of all of the returning players. I will say this. If I'm Ace or Bones and in a dog fight, I'm standing right behind Williams and McAlister. Safest place to be on the court in my mind. 8-)
Let me be clear THIS IS NOT A KNOCK ON McA

Where does he play meaningful minutes in the rotation? He is an explosive aggressive player but he is still 6'4" Although we list him as a guard, he was most effective playing at the 4 or maybe 3 last year. He is only taller than ACE, Bones and Tre and all of them can play point guard(Although I suspect Bones will spend most of his time at the off guard this year). In limited action he did have one of the better offense rating but in his per 40 he was about 29% from 3 on 2.5 attempts and about 69% at the charity stripe. With Corey, Hason, Vince, Levi, MBJ and BMB, his time would have to come at the three where there is Curry, Watkins, sometime Vince, I just don't see where that many minutes come from for him to be on the court.

I guess looking at it, it comes down to how much some combination of Corey, Hason, Levi is on the court. If Vince spends most of his time at the 3, I don't see his minutes increasing much from last year

Reactions: Rams4Life

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Definitely Ace, but I am also looking forward to seeing McAlister this year after a full season in the program. He just might make the biggest leap of all of the returning players. I will say this. If I'm Ace or Bones and in a dog fight, I'm standing right behind Williams and McAlister. Safest place to be on the court in my mind. 8-)
We should be a bit more stout this year....good thing .... This league is full of grown men

Reactions: VCUBeatsduke
Mar 1, 2015

Where does he play meaningful minutes in the rotation? He is an explosive aggressive player but he is still 6'4" Although we list him as a guard, he was most effective playing at the 4 or maybe 3 last year. He is only taller than ACE, Bones and Tre and all of them can play point guard(Although I suspect Bones will spend most of his time at the off guard this year). In limited action he did have one of the better offense rating but in his per 40 he was about 29% from 3 on 2.5 attempts and about 69% at the charity stripe. With Corey, Hason, Vince, Levi, MBJ and BMB, his time would have to come at the three where there is Curry, Watkins, sometime Vince, I just don't see where that many minutes come from for him to be on the court.

I guess looking at it, it comes down to how much some combination of Corey, Hason, Levi is on the court. If Vince spends most of his time at the 3, I don't see his minutes increasing much from last year
I know that’s a popular expectation, but I don’t see how it will work a bulk of the time. Unless Ward becomes a decent shooter, you will have two players who aren’t stretching the defense and gumming up the paint on a team that will probably struggle at times from the perimeter. If Douglas and Stockard play together, that’s two poor offensive players on the floor for a team that has had a lot of problems scoring. I don’t see what they would bring together to make up for what you give up.

Rams4Life

Top Member
Insider
Nov 20, 2011

This is not a knock on Curry, but what has he shown in two years to warrant penciling him in above JMac or any of the newcomers? Those minutes at the 3 spot are 100% up for grabs.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
This is not a knock on Curry, but what has he shown in two years to warrant penciling him in above JMac or any of the newcomers? Those minutes at the 3 spot are 100% up for grabs.

I agree. Curry has not proven at all that he can shoot the three, or even from the outside. What McAlister brings to the table that Curry doesn't is physicality. McAlister is a tough, physical kid that is NOT afraid to bang with the big boys down low. When Coach Rhoades goes with a smaller team, McAlister will see minutes. And, let's also be frank. Nobody has seen the two big transfers play, nor have we seen how much Ward has progressed. Yes, VCU has height this year, but the jury is still out regarding how productive that height is going to be.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
There are a lot of tall kids that can't even play D3... The stats that interest me are points and rebounds ..not inches.

Reactions: 80sRam

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
100% agree. My listing was not intended to be a depth chart. It was only to indicate players and positions.

Reactions: Rams4Life

Rams4Life

Top Member
Insider
Nov 20, 2011
100% agree. My listing was not intended to be a depth chart. It was only to indicate players and positions.
To play devils advocate against myself, I could make the same argument about McAllister or really any other returning player not named Bones. Outside of Bones, I don't think a single returning player on this team has established that they're going to be a starter and play big minutes. That's not a knock on any of them either; there's just a massive amount of minutes up for grabs this year.

Personally, I absolutely love that these kids are going to have to battle for minutes every day in practice. With the makeup and unknowns of this team, hopefully seniority is out the window if the young kids deserve the minutes. I'm really excited to see how it all plays out. Color me optimistic with all of the young talent we've brought in over these past two classes. Two weeks from today....

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
yes, I think some of the guys emerging to get minutes will be a surprise. While I have made it known how high I am on Ace, I think our other three freshmen all have great potential. I'm really looking forward to seeing MBJ. He's a little older, has played against and with some really good players, has a D1 ready body and a versatile game, with a low post presence and a three point shot, rim protector on D as well as being able to guard on the perimeter. I'm really excited about all of them though. I think we have four freshman who can contribute, some transfers that can help and returners with another year of experience and growth in their games. And of course there is Bones. There will be growing pains for sure, but there just might be enough talent on this team to overcome the youth and have a really good season. I don't think anyone will want to play us toward the end of the season.

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
I think the fun thing with this group is they all sorta offer up something different.

Ace - "True point guard". Believe he averaged like 7+ assists last year at St. Francis. I watched some full-game footage of him to get a realistic view of his game and he is definitely always looking for the open man is a creative passer. I love that with guys like Bones and Hason in particular. Looking forward to watching how he operates as a scorer as well, but most excited about his passing.

Josh - Just kinda fits the mold of what VCU loves lately: long active dudes who can do a bit of everything. Also I believe he's a lefty, which is fun. I've heard he can stroke it, but a lot of the video I've seen makes him look more like a slasher. Looks like a high-energy player, so my hope is a more athletic, more efficient versions of basically Doug Brooks.

MBJ - Just looks like the prototype Mike Rhoades VCU big. Versatile, runs the floor, super athletic. He's listed at 6'8 220 and I believe played mostly 5 at IMG, but can definitely see him sliding over to the 4 at VCU. Either way he LOOKS to be a bit of a matchup problem at either position (very nice handles for a dude that size). I'd love to see us use him like Wade used Tillman with Mo. Basically burry him on the baseline, run pick and roll with Hason and Bones/Tre/Ace....then teams have to basically choose what they want: an open lane to the hoop for our guard, or MBJ's man leaving him to pick up the driving guard for a wide open MBJ dunk. He could eat on that action.

Jamir - Here at VCU we remember the value of your Bradford Burgess and Treveon Graham types and Jamir has that type of potential and maybe even expectation (to me at least). He had some absolutely monster games at Trenton Catholic (30 points & 10 rebs, 26 & 16, 47 & 12, 38 & 11) and just screams to me, "is this THE GUY?". His game reminds me a bit of those guys I mentioned, but maybe even more so like DJ Kennedy, the former St. John's player who terrorized my Ram Nation teams for his Overseas Elite squad. Just one of those explosive 6'7 dudes that does everything. Question will be can he play with DJ type of energy. If he does he could be just such a terror for the A-10.

Mar 1, 2015
yes, I think some of the guys emerging to get minutes will be a surprise. While I have made it known how high I am on Ace, I think our other three freshmen all have great potential. I'm really looking forward to seeing MBJ. He's a little older, has played against and with some really good players, has a D1 ready body and a versatile game, with a low post presence and a three point shot, rim protector on D as well as being able to guard on the perimeter. I'm really excited about all of them though. I think we have four freshman who can contribute, some transfers that can help and returners with another year of experience and growth in their games. And of course there is Bones. There will be growing pains for sure, but there just might be enough talent on this team to overcome the youth and have a really good season. I don't think anyone will want to play us toward the end of the season.
Your description of MBJ is basically a contemporary NBA wing.

Also, If what has been said a about Watkins is true - big versatile wing that can handle the ball and run an offense then the same can be said about him. If you want to free up Hyland, why not do it with a guy who can also shoot, rebound, play inside and defend just about anyone on the court vs an old fashioned PG who does not bring those other advantages.

The past two classes have not only been really good, but they fit the way the game is being played now at the highest level.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
To play devils advocate against myself, I could make the same argument about McAllister or really any other returning player not named Bones. Outside of Bones, I don't think a single returning player on this team has established that they're going to be a starter and play big minutes. That's not a knock on any of them either; there's just a massive amount of minutes up for grabs this year.

Personally, I absolutely love that these kids are going to have to battle for minutes every day in practice. With the makeup and unknowns of this team, hopefully seniority is out the window if the young kids deserve the minutes. I'm really excited to see how it all plays out. Color me optimistic with all of the young talent we've brought in over these past two classes. Two weeks from today....
Short of another injury, Vince is a lead pipe lock to start in my opinion. “When” he has been healthy, he is active, heady and disruptive. Shot is a work in progress given two shoulder surgeries in two years—but would not be a bit surprised if he shows the biggest jump forward of everyone and is near the top of the leaderboard on all metrics.

Rams4Life

Top Member
Insider
Nov 20, 2011
Short of another injury, Vince is a lead pipe lock to start in my opinion. “When” he has been healthy, he is active, heady and disruptive. Shot is a work in progress given two shoulder surgeries in two years—but would not be a bit surprised if he shows the biggest jump forward of everyone and is near the top of the leaderboard on all metrics.
I’ve been hoping the same thing. The potential has always been there. I think a full offseason of being healthy and working on his game will pay huge dividends. Even if he were to come off the bench, I’d bet he’s still one of our top 3-4 guys as far as minutes. Injuries have really hurt Vince during his first two years here. All Vince has to do is prove he can stay healthy, not whether he can play. He’s a different type of “unproven” than anybody else on the team in my opinion.

Reactions: senor ram and PRock