Who are your top 10 VCU dunkers of all-time?

buckwheat

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Warren was well before my time, but wow he had some great dunks!

I know he was a McDonalds All American and backed that up with a stellar four year career. For those who followed his career. what do you think kept him out of the NBA? Outside shot? Defense?

Dude seemed like he was the Blake Griffin of his time.

Jan 16, 2020
67-76. Guess that got Jabo as well.

Correct. Jabo never dunked in an actual game, but his above-the-rim prowess was well known around Franklin Street. I've said this before and I'm going to keep saying it, Jabo's No. 40 jersey was retired by coach/AD Chuck Noe after VCU's win over Virginia Union, Feb. 21, 1971. Jabo went out in style, scoring 40 points (matching his jersey) in his final home game. The No. 40 jersey was on display in the Franklin Street Gym trophy case for years until most everything was cleared out with arrival of Dana Kirk, Noe' successor.

Reactions: duncanlamb

KentuckyRam

Insider
Jul 16, 2009
Correct. Jabo never dunked in an actual game, but his above-the-rim prowess was well known around Franklin Street. I've said this before and I'm going to keep saying it, Jabo's No. 40 jersey was retired by coach/AD Chuck Noe after VCU's win over Virginia Union, Feb. 21, 1971. Jabo went out in style, scoring 40 points (matching his jersey) in his final home game. The No. 40 jersey was on display in the Franklin Street Gym trophy case for years until most everything was cleared out with arrival of Dana Kirk, Noe' successor.
Were the players allowed to dunk in warm ups?

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020
Were the payers allowed to dunk in warm ups?
Yes they were, kind of .... I vaguely recall visiting teams dunking during layup line at Franklin Street .... but that was probably at least 20 minutes before tipoff. I'm wondering who the first Ram to dunk was ... my guess was Charles McLeod, who also happened to be first black player in '66. His nickname was "Charlie Mack the Jumpin' Jack." His surname is pronounced McLloyd .... a 6-4 forward from Matoaca High via Virginia State.

Reactions: KentuckyRam

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
Dunking during warmups drew a technical IF the officials had entered the arena so some put on a show in the early warmup or shoot arounds. One reason for this rule was it was causing rims to be bent and replaced before a game. Of course later this became shattered backboards !

Reactions: KentuckyRam

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Mar 27, 2009

I know he was a McDonalds All American and backed that up with a stellar four year career. For those who followed his career. what do you think kept him out of the NBA? Outside shot? Defense?

Could not hit a free throw to save his life. He had to get his points two at a time. I don't remember any outside shooting. Different type game back then. But wow his dunks, and for real @districtballer Ben Peabody? A little Canadian love!

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
That's a great list. There's a big gap between #1 and the rest. Kendrick was unbelievable. I think I might slip Kenny Stancell and Ren Watson in after JT.
and one of the biggest reasons for the gap is the difference between all-time VCU Dunkers and players who had all-time dunks. Warren consistently had "all-time" dunks each and every time he played and some of the others had collections of great dunks or maybe just a few that we will never forget.

Guys that had a ton of All Time great dunks over their careers ( in games mind you) would include Kendrick, drop down again, Larry Sanders, Willie Taylor, Justin Tilman, Mo Ali-Cox, Tyrone McCoy, Phil Stinnie. Weber had to potential to be on there and maybe his Butler dunk just is equal to 50 of any others but he just didn't have a ton of dunks, Like Bighorn I immediately went to Freddie Brown, but it was during practice and during FSG summer play when I saw that 42 inch vertical in action . Same with the other old timers likeJesse Dark, I saw that in FSG when he was a grown man coming back to intimidate any college kids who got in his way. Reflecting, one of Larry's best dunks didn't even count and I didn't know for a long time that it hadn't due to the celebration after it in the coliseum vs Gmoo. Maynot was called for a charge and the basket negated, but the damage was done and points or not the place went nuts.

buckwheat

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I wouldn’t have Weber on this list at all. Sure, he had one the the most jaw dropping plays I’ve ever seen by a VCU player against Butler, which of course resulted in a dunk. But other than that I recall very few times where he actually dunked. He is in no way known as a dunker.

Even a guy like Nick George rattled the rim many more times than Weber ever did.

I’m stumped as to how anyone can think Weber was a dunker. Perhaps I missed a few of his jams!

Reactions: VRam
Apr 21, 2009
I remember Renardo Dixon and Drew Johnson having some nice dunks for the 'lesser known dunkers of the early 2000s'

Last edited:

ramin75

Top Member
May 1, 2009
That must have been in practice or an exhibition. The dunk was not allowed in NCAA or high school ball during the early '70s ("The Alcindor Rule). That said, Dark was great and would have had many dunks if the rules permitted.
Exhibition 73-74 season. VUU?

Jan 16, 2020
Jesse "Bodine" Dark was ineligible his senior year at Maggie Walker due to his age. Instead of playing for Green Dragons, he came over to Franklin Street each afternoon and practiced (plenty of dunks) with Rams, even went with team on some bus trips. Doubt any of this was legal, but after all these decades I don't foresee the NCAA imposing any penalties.

Apr 28, 2009

I grew up with Kendrick. We both came out of the J-Ward. He was and still is a great guy. I think what hurt him at the time was is mid range shot. I believe he got a look from LA if my memory serves me correctly. It was a ton of talent in the NBA when he came out and they did not have a real NBA development league like the G-League but he did play in the now defunct CBA. I was a couple of years older than Kimmy as we called him. He turned out to be a beast. I think a lot had to do with timing and fit. I am not sure that Sonny Smith did a good a job as he could with developing him. As much as I hate to say it IMHO if he would have went to VUU I think Dave Robins would have put him in a better position. Three big men he put in NBA Oakley, Terry Davis, and Ben Wallace came out of the division II school on Lombardy. Of course that was the word on the street.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
This question is a no brainer, Kendrick Warren is the best dunker to have ever donned a black and gold uni, but my vote for second place would have to go to Willie Taylor. A Taylor baseline drive punctuated by a high flying emphatic flush could get a crowd to its feet. Bruiser Flint said upon seeing Willie for the first time that the reason Drexel couldn’t compete with the likes of VCU was that the Dragans didn’t have athletes like Willie.

Third place would be Mo. He laid some serious dunks on our opponents during his time here.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM