Who is transferring?

Tad Gordon

Top Member
Feb 16, 2014
Mike Gilmore is 6'9 and will be 6'10 before he graduates (he eats Wheaties). I have said that he will be the force under the basket with versatility to run and stretch the floor. Here are some tidbits.......

Replace Kansas State with VCU......

Gilmore plays for E1T1 Elite, one of the premier AAU teams in the nation. At 6’9″, he an excellent finisher in the post and around the rim, capable of pulling defenders inside and opening up K-State’s stable of outside shooters if the basket is too protected.

From ESPN Insider.......

Gilmore is a long and athletic power forward that is loaded with upside. He has a good motor that he uses to run the floor well. He can rebound in and out of his area and his shooting range extends to about 17 feet maximum at this stage of his game. He is mobile and has the footwork and agility to defend on the perimeter with the proper techniques. He can also block shots in his area as well.

Kansas State Message Board.......

Gilmore.~ “I just have to be aggressive and make myself known early in the game. I have to rebound and be aggressive on the defensive end.”

Source Hoops.....

Defensively he provides rebounding and an additional shot blocker. Because of Mike’s long reach and ability to step outside and defend perimeter players when necessary, he is able to foil many teams’ plans when they try to run ball screens.”

Mike has an above-average skill level when it comes to handling the basketball on the perimeter and shooting from inside the arc. He’s able to stretch the floor and give post players room to operate. Mike is also an effective high post player. From there he can score or find teammates that are open with quick passes.”
“He has a nice touch inside so he has the ability to take smaller guys in the post in score.When a guy his size or taller is on him, he’ll need to pull him away from the basket.Mike just needs to continue to listen to his coaches and play the way they need him to play and he’ll develop a better understanding of how to read the defense and get to the most effective spot on the floor.”
When asked what player Gilmore reminds him of, McGee stated, “He’s a bit like Lamarcus Aldridge of Portland. Aldridge is of course stronger but Mike has a bit more range on his shot.”

ESPN Insider......

How he fits: Gilmore is an ideal fit both for VCU's style of play as well as with the rest of their class. As his frame fills out, he should be able to play both the four and the five spots, making the interior tandem of him and Tillman an imposing one, especially in such an up-tempo system. Add Larrier to the mix and you have as athletically devastating a frontcourt as you'll find in the country.

Offensively, his developing skill set is very important for VCU, as his ability to stretch the floor will be a nice complement to Tillman and Larrier. Pair him with an aggressive ball screen guard like Williams, and Gilmore is especially intriguing, because he has the potential to pick and roll or pick and pop, which eventually will make that tandem virtually impossible to stop without a third defender.

From DB on A10 Board........

Wingspans of incoming players:

Mo Alie-Cox: 7'3"
Justin Tillman: 7'2.5"
Michael Gilmore: 7'2"
Terry Larrier (at the 3): 6'10"

---------------------------------------------
I know the "big" recruits coming in are only freshmen but they will be integral in Havoc 6.0. Gilmore is a stretch 4 but he is tall and will have the ability to alter shots as we all know Mo Alie-Cox does & Justin Tillman will do (GET THAT SH*T OUTTA HERE!). I expect Gilmore to play 4 & 5 for VCU. It is common knowledge that Coach Smart plays a variety of line-ups from small to medium to big. He is not recruiting for a "traditional" line-up so our thinking has to be....who can stretch the floor and stop the opposing guards from streaking to the bucket if they break the press.

I have said and I will stick to it.......

~Briante "Steals MacKenzie" Weber
~The Melvin
~The Freight Train
~ Terry "I Hope he is better than Kendrick" Larrier
~Mo "Says No" Alie-Cox

Then hit them with waves......(In no particular Order).....

~Jarred "You will not get the ball inbounds as I do Jumping Jacks" Guest
~JeQuan "That Lewis Kid can Play!"
~Doug " I will Shoot from Marshall Street" Brooks
~Justin "My Uncle Buck will Tell you to Step Off" Tillman
~Mike "Artis is my Uncle" Gilmore
~Antravious "Is it Ant or Tre?" Simmons
~Jordan "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet" Burgess 2.0
~Jonathan "The Beard" Williams
~Emerson "I will Play Lots of Minutes because we Kicked Ass" Burk
~Torey "I will pass the ball to Burk only if I cannot shoot or drive into the lane and draw a foul" Burston
LMAO… Only one thing is wrong with your nicknames. It should be Briante "Baby Rondo" Weber! Because when I see him play all I see is a Rondo 2.0

Tad Gordon

Top Member
Feb 16, 2014
I think in the latter part of the season and the following season you will see those bigger lineups more consistently. Shaka never has been afraid of playing small ball and Trey presents mismatches for the other teams when he plays at the 4. Larrier is supposed to be the real deal and you are right he isn't going to be glued to the bench. Tillman eats the glass pretty well and I don't think will be intimidated. I think Gilmore might surprise some people or might surprise me and be a year away. I also think that Guest will be more of the guy we waited for, but not a pounder ever and think Simmons will provide minutes and rebounds. I say that about Jordan because I know how Shaka feels about him and I know I saw a lot of great things from him. VCU heck, we have a long 5-6 months to wait to find out but I think we are not really far apart in how we see this shaping together.
To a certain degree Trey is a mismatch problem at the 4 but when he plays the four we have a problem with rebounding. Imagine if Trey can get 10 rebounds at the 3 plus the production from the 4 and the 5. Then you are a real problem for your opponent.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
LMAO… Only one thing is wrong with your nicknames. It should be Briante "Baby Rondo" Weber! Because when I see him play all I see is a Rondo 2.0
Bri has to improve on offense to be like Rondo. A lot. Especially as a passer and floor general.

Tad Gordon

Top Member
Feb 16, 2014
Bri has to improve on offense to be like Rondo. A lot. Especially as a passer and floor general.
If you recall, Rondo had to do the same thing when he went to the NBA. Rondo had no jump shot and he had to learn how to slow down to play with the Big Three. But one thing Rondo did have was lock down defense and could run the floor. I see the same think in Bri. And if you really think about it Bri played very solid this season. Came through clutch in many games that I watched.

RamBo

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Bri is a great player. I love his game, and he is VCU HAVOC. Not sure he'll ever wind up being Rondo...... but you never know. The fact is...... he has gotten substantially better each year. He still needs to improve offensively, but heck- if the guy continues to improve, over the next couple years, you just never know. He sure has the athletic tools to play on ANY level. Just needs to refine the shooting a bit- and the floor gen part, which I think he will do. He'll never be a stud shooter- but neither is / will Rondo.

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Havoc may be an integral part of VCU basketball for the next 50 years, but we will never see a better defender than Bri. For crissakes he's gonna break the NCAA record for steals next year! ( Hope that doesn't jinx him).

Bo said it best,"he has gotten substantially better each year." You would be a fool to bet against him making the NBA.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
If you recall, Rondo had to do the same thing when he went to the NBA. Rondo had no jump shot and he had to learn how to slow down to play with the Big Three. But one thing Rondo did have was lock down defense and could run the floor. I see the same think in Bri. And if you really think about it Bri played very solid this season. Came through clutch in many games that I watched.
Yeah, Rondo had to develop. That's what I'm saying Bri has to do too. And he has to develop quite a bit to be close to that level of play. It's a big step from what Bri has done at VCU (great defender, decent offensive player) and what Rondo has done in the NBA (career average of 11.1ppg, 8.3apg, 4.5rpg, 1.9spg; 4 All-Star games, 1 All-NBA team, 4 NBA All-Defensive team, 1 NBA Championship, Celtics franchise record for steals and assists in a season). That's not a knock on Bri.

Reactions: RamBo