Will Wade VCU recruiting wrap up

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Just wanted to go back and look at Wade's stamp on the program from a recruiting standpoint.

2015 (first class)
Jonathan Nwankwo
Samir Doughty
Gerron Scissum

transfers: Billbury (senior), Hamdy (gave VCU two seasons under Wade)

'15 Conclusion: Wade got good years out of his transfers while he was there, but that left Rhoades & Co. with nothing from those roster spots. Doughty was the only find from that class that proved to be a major DI player, but obviously VCU let him go because of some off the court stuff that happened when Rhoades got there, before Samir would play a game for Rhoades.

2016 class
De'Riante Jenkins
Malik Crowfield
Marquell Fraser

'16 Conclusion: Jenkins was the gem of the class, no surprise there being a top-50 player out of high school. I think in terms of all-time players, he'll be an underrated one for the Rams. He's one of the true impact players that was left from Wade's recruiting to VCU. Malik was a solid role player for Rhoades' Rams off the bench as well. Fraser gave VCU one season before transferring down to Idaho where he had a couple of solid years. Legend has it Wade's assistants wanted Fraser of De'Monte Buckingham, which, if true (as I understand it from other folks in the industry), was one of the dumber recruiting blunders we've seen around here and one that certainly hurt VCU in the longterm.

2017 class remnants
Marcus Santos-Silva
Sean Mobley

Wade's leaving VCU after just two seasons really proved to be a program gut punch, especially considering the departures and what Rhoades & Co. initially filled those spots with (two bench players who'd transfer after a year, two JUCO transfers that did not have Courtney Stockard-ish A-10 careers and then two key recruits Rhoades maintained that would eventually transfer themselves). MSS turned out to be the obvious gem of the class and gave VCU his all while here including two monster years for the Rams. If Chris Beard wants ya, you know you are pretty darn legit, so that's the level of player Wade initially got on the Rams radar that Rhoades was able to coach a few years prior to his recent transfer. Mobley was a solid piece for VCU prior to transferring home to UCF, but at least in his two seasons here, perhaps didn't quite meet the expectations I know I at least thought he was capable of meeting. He was however, a fairly key piece for Rhoades while here and Wade was the one who initially built that relationship to VCU.

I guess overall it's just easy to see from Wade's quick hit and run at VCU, that while he gave the Rams two really fun seasons, he left the program with little following his departure (much like how he left his assistants all looking for jobs). Rhoades' recruiting classes all seem to be trending up and look incredibly promising. I just hope this young group can find success sooner than later because I know how high expectations are here at VCU (Another bottom half A-10 finish, even with a young team...won't sit well considering our staff is in year-4). But yeah, you can definitely see when looking back how much of an uphill climb Wade left Rhoades with, especially compared to the core Wade inherited from Shaka (Mo, JeQuan, Justin, Melvin, The Experience, Jordan, Johnny, Mike G).

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
some on here seem to really have an affinity for Sean Mobley and his game while here...not sure why...he lead the team in turnovers and couldn’t guard or score or rebound. I will say his mom was varsity level;)

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Mar 27, 2009
I rooted for The Man because he was from Florida! I was ok with him leaving too. Cant wait to see what Marcus does.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
I remember a colleague of mine stated that he lacked foot speed to play VCU's style and that he wasn't athletic enough to use his height/skill set to his advantage at least in a VCU system and the faithful lost their ish.

I get it he was a likable kid and to be 6'8/6'9 if he was a hit it would have been special.

Fwiw, I really liked Seans potential as he was a big kid who could handle and pass over little guys. IMO Sean would have been a great fit on Shaka's teams where his weaknesses would be hidden in a group of great athletes and his strengths would have helped those same athletic players. He does have a high basketball IQ.

Mediocre at best and was given way too many chances. He nor his family should harbor no ill feelings about his experience here.

As to Fraser over Buck? I dont know what those guys were thinking/drinking/smoking? That eval doesnt even pass the eye test. Buck IMO was a notch under Samir and they would have played great together.

vcumad

Top Member
Insider
Jan 19, 2010
I remember a colleague of mine stated that he lacked foot speed to play VCU's style and that he wasn't athletic enough to use his height/skill set to his advantage at least in a VCU system and the faithful lost their ish.

I get it he was a likable kid and to be 6'8/6'9 if he was a hit it would have been special.

Fwiw, I really liked Seans potential as he was a big kid who could handle and pass over little guys. IMO Sean would have been a great fit on Shaka's teams where his weaknesses would be hidden in a group of great athletes and his strengths would have helped those same athletic players. He does have a high basketball IQ.

Mediocre at best and was given way too many chances. He nor his family should harbor no ill feelings about his experience here.

As to Fraser over Buck? I dont know what those guys were thinking/drinking/smoking? That eval doesnt even pass the eye test. Buck IMO was a notch under Samir and they would have played great together.
My understanding was the choice was only between Jenkins & Buck. Both would have contributed well.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Personally, I disagreed with you(your colleagues) assessment but I never lost my ish :D. Although we will never know, I still will say he would have performed better in a Will Wade system than he did in a MR system.

Also, there is no ill will to VCU, I still talk to his parents. ;)

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Personally, I disagreed with you(your colleagues) assessment but I never lost my ish :D. Although we will never know, I still will say he would have performed better in a Will Wade system than he did in a MR system.

Also, there is no ill will to VCU, I still talk to his parents. ;)
Not taking specifically to any one individual. . As I stated, I wish the kid well. Personally, I think he would have been an excellent player if he had better teammates. As my colleague stated his foot speed was subpar and he wasn't very athletic. He was tall, he had good vision, he could handle and pass well especially for a big.

I wish him well and hope he has a good career.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
My understanding was the choice was only between Jenkins & Buck. Both would have contributed well.
If that was the case that's a lot more reasonable.
In that case, I would take Jenkins 10 out of 10.
Fwiw, I love Buck and his game. But Jenkins was a special talent.