Women Black and Gold game.

Discussion in 'VCU Womens Basketball' started by DevDog, Jul 26, 2017.

1. DevDog

DevDog Hall of Famer

Can we make this happen. It would be nice to see the women play before the mens game. If we can have an alumni game. This shouldn't be too far off.

2. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend

Trust me man.... this topic has been discussed numerous times.... and I would love to see it..... I've even asked the coach that in the past few years if it's ever been thought about. And while some of us would certainly come out and support the team.... @GRID, yourself, @SpiderRAM and others would be sure as well as some former WBB players who may still live around the area... etc.

But honestly.... unless our attendance starts to increase dramatically.... what would the Ath. Dept. have to gain by having a Black & Gold game for WBB?

But lets look at a few things....
    1. Anyone who donates at least $100 gets 2 all sports passes to get in free to basically every regular season sporting event except MBB..... How many people on here even use their all sports passes at any event? I'd be willing to bet a lot of people's all sports passes sit around the house or on the coffee table & collect dust because all most people care about is MBB..... so even basically giving free tickets to people they still don't show up.

2. For those who aren't donors.... ticket prices are like $35 or $40 for the whole season tickets that can be used at each game or all at once..... so for example.... if I buy the season ticket package for $40 that gives me 16 tickets.... one for every game.... I can use all 16 for one game, or split them up among the 16 regular season games....... So really cheap price, valuable deal..... people still don't take advantage of it.

3. Attendance (with the exception of Richmond game) we never broke 1000 people on days where there were no elementary school kids there. Our average attendance over 15 games at home was 988.... you take out UMass, Dayton & Coppin State (all kid days) and that attendance average will drop significantly... especially when you take out the 4132 attendance from the Coppin State game where there was a lot of kids.

Trust me, I am with you on this. I would love to see a WBB Black & Gold Scrimmage and/or alumni game..... but we are a LONG ways from that happening. Truly if we want that to happen.... RamNation as a whole needs to show more support for VCU WBB.

#2 RowdyPkunk, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    SpiderRAM likes this.
  3. DevDog

DevDog Hall of Famer

I agree with everything your saying is true. I just think support for WBB has to start somewhere and what better way then an Black and Gold gam before the men. Same day a hour or two earlier, I think fans would show up for that.

4. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend

As much as I would love that... I don't think most fans would show up to it.... and those who did would prob show up during the middle of it just to get a better seat for the MBB B&G game.... thats it.

5. Ramlove81

Ramlove81 Hall of Famer

Good
    Good they show up in the middle and get a good taste of how exciting these women are, how hard they play and we get a few more fans. Every little bit helps.

6. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend

It's gotta happen first.... and unless a bunch of people go to the AD asking for it between now and October.... It probably won't. I want it to happen, but it's going to take a lot of yall going to the AD or the coach & trying to get them to do this.

7. WillWeaverRVA

WillWeaverRVA Legend

Volleyball has a Black & Gold game every year (this year's is on the 19th) and it tends to have good turnout. I would imagine women's basketball could bring in at least that many people, even if not many people show up for the regular games.

8. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend

But see... Volleyball actually gets a decent turnout for games usually.... plus (not trying to be sexiest or discriminatory... but) Volleyball is seen as a women's sport. Basketball on the other hand.... most (not all) people say that Women's basketball should not be a sport. Heck there are people that think the Worst D-I MBB team or D-II teams could be a WNBA team full of some of the best stars.... Maya Moore, Elena Delle Donne, Britney Griner... etc.... and they think it wouldn't even be close.

Which is why at VCU WBB games.... the majority of the crowd consists of: The Peppas, Family members of the players, WBB Alum (both recent and not so recent... I've seen Kelly Hoover at a lot of games the last few years), and then a select handful of people from VCURN.... yourself, @MobileMunchies, @GRID, @SpiderRAM and a couple others..... but the crowd overall is small.

I would love to see a B&G game for the Women.... the problem is.... even on here there's only a select handful of people who support the idea..... obviously you, @DevDog, @Ramlove81.... I'm sure @GRID, @MobileMunchies & @SpiderRAM would support it.... but unless we get A LOT of people to ask for it and support the idea... and unless we get A LOT more people to show up at regular home games (not counting the elementary school kids on education days)......

Until we start getting better support for the team... the AD probably would not support a B&G game for the Women.

9. GRID

GRID Hall of Famer

I think that it would be an easy add on to all the black and gold activities. Just have them go right before the men. A couple of doubleheaders after a men's game wouldn't be a bad idea either. Especially during the winter break when attendance is low and the weather is bad. That would keep me from driving in on a sat and sun when it's snowing

10. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend

@Ramlove81 @BigE @DevDog @WillWeaverRVA @MobileMunchies @RAMification @VAHills @SpiderRAM @iLove VCU @vcubob @GRID

Well guys.... I stand corrected.... and IT'S FINALLY GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!
    http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/releases/20171010oq6hch

It's only a 10 minute scrimmage in between the MBB B&G game... and the Alumni game.... but it's a start!

We've all been asking for this for a couple years now... so we need to make this thing a success. We need to make this a regular thing. Spread the word, cause most people only care about the MBB B&G game & the Alumni Game.

WillWeaverRVA, iLove VCU and GRID like this.
  11. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend

So I'm currently at Practice right now.

Sandra Skinner will not be playing tomorrow due to a stress fracture in her ankle... she hopes to be ready to play by the start of the season.

Danielle Hammond and Taya Robinson are also coming off injuries.

Sydnei Archie has a knee brace on after apparently she had another injury in her senior year last year.

As far as I know Danielle, Taya and Sydnei should be playing tomorrow.

Delphynia Sparks was her for the first 20 mins and then left... not sure why.

GRID likes this.
  12. DevDog

DevDog Hall of Famer

Bummer Skinner not playing tomorrow. Still excited this is happening though haha!

RowdyPkunk likes this.
  13. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend

Agreed on both accounts.... and it's gonna be in the same format that the men do... Asst. Coach vs Asst. Coach.

Not sure which of the 3 Asst. coaches Blair, Coach Nic or Coach Crawford will be the ones and not sure of the roster yet.

I'll update y'all if I find anything out

GRID likes this.
  14. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend

While I don't have the rosters.... I do know it will be Coach Blair vs Coach Nic. Coach Blair told me that Coach Crawford will be off recruiting tomorrow so he won't be there.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

GRID likes this.
  15. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend

#15 RowdyPkunk, Oct 14, 2017 at 8:11 AM
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 at 8:16 AM