Work Those Quads! (Net Ranking A10 Quick Reference Thread) VCU 73

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
Crap. I thought VCU was an art school and no one said anything bout math!

RamDanFan

Elite Member
We are really like somewhere from 15 to 35 had we had Ace the whole season. Injuries suck, but I think we will climb to at least 35 so long as they stay focused and hungry.

MarylandRamFan

Elite Member

We‘re moving up in Palms bracket. First four out. Only Davidson from the conference; hopefully that changes big time.
Loyola will help with conference strength when they are added. Would have been nice to add say, Wichita and Belmont.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
The forfeits have really hurt Wagner. Even though forfeited games don't count toward NET ranking, they basically need blowout wins in the very weak NEC in order to maintain their high NET and they haven't been getting them. Their NET has dropped from #42 to #63 in the last 4 days.

We‘re moving up in Palms bracket. First four out. Only Davidson from the conference; hopefully that changes big time.
Loyola will help with conference strength when they are added. Would have been nice to add say, Wichita and Belmont.
Beating Davidson and SLU will improve our NET significantly.

urmite

Elite Member
Sigh, your example is about efficiency not margin of victory

Also, the purpose of NET is t to produce a seed lost like you're positing, but to create team sheets so thencoittee can see how well a team played against quadrants. If you don't believe me, look at MSU vs. SLU last year. There's a strong correlation, but you you're mistaking good NET causes a good seed.
Don't want to get into this too much, but will ask...
If VCU wins a game 70-69 or wins that same game 85-54, how can the efficiencies not be better in the second scenario?
Would tempo determine which efficiency is more effected?

Don't want to get into this too much, but will ask...
If VCU wins a game 70-69 or wins that same game 85-54, how can the efficiencies not be better in the second scenario?
Would tempo determine which efficiency is more effected?
Yes to tempo, because if takes 100 more possessions to reach that extra 15 points, then the margin of victory will look less meaningful, especially since it takes into consideration of the opponents efficiency stats. Margin of Victory is correralted to efficiency and tempo, which makes the two difficult to disaggregate, but there is a meaningful difference.

For poops and giggles I looked at Lunardi's current bracket. He does t have VCU within 9 spots of the tournament, but has Miss. St. Which is 0-3 in Q1 and Q2 games and a Q3 loss, and Florida whose 2-4 in Q1 and Q2 games and has a Q3 loss in comfortably, and teams like VTech (2-6 Q1/Q2, 1-1 Q3) and Michigan (0-4 Q1, 1-2 Q2) ahead of us. A better projected bracket would be produced by sorting by NET. Not sure why ESPN continues to pay him.

Rhody will probably be the next A10 team to crack the top 100 after their blowout win over UMass today.
It’s also possible SLU jumps us for now. That L hurt but I guess the drop could be worse. I think I’ll be doing updates more frequently with our crowded conference schedule coming up. Maybe 2/3 times a week to grab as many updates as possible. Their ranking were behind two days yesterday though.

Last edited:

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Although the NET is important, I think Selection Sunday is going to be full of surprises and head scratchers. Right now, the AAC is probably a one bid league and the ACC is not deep at all on potential bids. On the other hand, the WCC could very well get 4 teams in this year. Lots of basketball to still be played, so we will see. It will be interesting how the NCAA selection committee handles conferences like the AAC and the ACC this year, and whether that opens the door for non P5/Big East conferences.