Wreaking Havoc???

Rambob

Insider
Our defense has been suspect for the last several games and especially tonight. To allow a team of ECU's caliber to shoot 56% from the field and 47% from three at home is atrocious. We got out of the SC tonight by the skin of our teeth and could very easily be filling up these pages with "the sky is falling" threads. I am not sure what it is, but as good as our results are (7-1, OOC and 8-2 overall with an RPI in the top twenty) something is very unsettling about this team. Here are a couple of thoughts that might have something to do with my uneasy feeling:

1. As my wife pointed out on the way home, we still do not have a leader on the floor, especially considering the comfort zone we all got into with Eric over the last three years.
2. This team is not settled in terms of rotation and starting lineup yet. This is understandable since two very talented big men just started playing.
3. Joey had a quiet and very effective game tonight. The quiet part is the problem. Joey has not assumed the leadership role even though he is probably playing at least as well as Eric did his Sophomore year when he took over PG duties full time.
4. Our three point defense which was among the best in the country last year and even for a while this year is MIA at this point in the season. That does not bode well for CAA play.

Anybody else feeling uneasy?

districtballer

Elite Member
I agree our defense wasn't great tonight. You also have to credit ECU...they shot LIGHTS-OUT.

I do think we have some work to do on the defensive end though. The Havoc system does lead to some easy baskets for both teams, but even with that accounted for, we let up on a lot of defensive possessions.

BigE

Elite Member
what game did you two go to???

Do I have to remind you that last year Eric and the Seven Dwarves lost to all of these teams (except Richmond)
I will take a quiet and effective 18 pts from Boo Boo anytime.

We play 8-10 people nightly to wear folks down and to spread out the fouls - it works.

Rambob

Insider
Siegel Center, A section, 5th row. I called it like I saw it. What did you see different?

xjohnx

Original Gangster
Elite Member
FWIW, before tonight's game we were #1 in the nation in 3pt FG% defense.

districtballer

Elite Member
You don't think our defense left something to be desired? I agree they had a GREAT shooting night...but we still could have locked down better on several possessions.

I loved Joey's heart and will tonight. He won the game for us. Thought we could have/probably should have gone to Skeen more than we did. ECU didn't have any answer for him down low. We also could have rebounded a bit better, but we weren't bad in that department either. I'm sure our coaches will be working with the team on several things in the days to come. But...

We won, that's all that matters in the grand scheme of things.

Ramball

Elite Member
Insider
I'm afraid Joey is in a no win situation....nobody will ever fill Eric's shoes. Dom Jones one of the best to put on a VCU uniform was very quiet and hardly ever showed any emotion on the court...not everyone is going to lead the same way and so far I would say that Joey is doing exactly what this team needs.

I like that ECU had 18 less shot attempts than us. we did something right to have that happen. ECU made it a game by shooting at an incredible rate, i would guess the best they have shot all year. The fact that we came out on top with them shooting so well is a testament to the will of this team, we don't play many teams that shoot 56% on the game with 47% from 3 pt. land. Good job on forcing them to turn the ball over tonight and a solid effort on the offensive boards for us. If we could make free throws we would be a very very difficult team to beat.

We have a great bunch of guys on this team - - very talented and for the most part they get after it. However, havoc ball is not very effective basketball at times. When you spread 5 of our guys across the entire court on defense the ENTIRE game the opposition gets easy baskets - - 1 or 2 nice passes and it's a layup or uncontested 3 on the other end. To keep up the pace in this system you also have to sub constantly (we started subbing 3 minutes into the game)- - which leads to weird rotations. KP didn't even play tonight. Is he hurt?

WTH though - - we won!

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
Rambob said:

Definitely a very intriguing team. I'm with you on some of those points...great start by the numbers, which I suppose is all that technically matters in the FINAL analysis...only problem is we are a way from the "final" part, so I'd hate to see us drop some head scratchers in conference.

I think our biggest weakness is what could make this team scary good once we figure it out....our low post game.

Look, Larry scored 23 points in 27 minutes tonight...but I'm not sure any of those game off a solid low post move. He had some dunks, some put back buckets, but mostly there were a lot of fade away type shots from close range, high post stuff, even two three point attempts. I also understand that people really clamp down on a guy like Larry, but with a guy like Skeen to dish it off two, that should result in even easier buckets (a la Thomas and Lewis of George Mason's run).

So for me, personally.. I'd like to see better spacing and a couple more attempts to really feed the post and hopefully get more effective at scoring down low. That way we don't have to jack up 29 threes anytime soon.

That's my take.

VCUBeatsduke

Elite Member
Rambob said:
Our defense has been suspect for the last several games and especially tonight. To allow a team of ECU's caliber to shoot 56% from the field and 47% from three at home is atrocious. We got out of the SC tonight by the skin of our teeth and could very easily be filling up these pages with "the sky is falling" threads. I am not sure what it is, but as good as our results are (7-1, OOC and 8-2 overall with an RPI in the top twenty) something is very unsettling about this team. Here are a couple of thoughts that might have something to do with my uneasy feeling:

1. As my wife pointed out on the way home, we still do not have a leader on the floor, especially considering the comfort zone we all got into with Eric over the last three years.
2. This team is not settled in terms of rotation and starting lineup yet. This is understandable since two very talented big men just started playing.
3. Joey had a quiet and very effective game tonight. The quiet part is the problem. Joey has not assumed the leadership role even though he is probably playing at least as well as Eric did his Sophomore year when he took over PG duties full time.
4. Our three point defense which was among the best in the country last year and even for a while this year is MIA at this point in the season. That does not bode well for CAA play.

We are 8-2 and have beaten OK, RI, Nevada, Richmond...I feel pretty good.

VCUBeatsduke

vcu70

Elite Member
Good thing Nixon clamped down on the HS kid or we lose -5 pts in the 2nd half?

I never could coach this game but why in the heck Larry sanders is ever allowed more than 15 ft from the basket on either end is beyond me-they have a 5'6 pt gaurd driving the lane for layups-thats bullpooptwice

Mercury

Elite Member
Rambob said:
Siegel Center, A section, 5th row. I called it like I saw it. What did you see different?

He didn't see it different, some folks can't deal with reality

BigE

Elite Member
Mercury said:
Rambob said:

He didn't see it different, some folks can't deal with reality

really
and what reality is that?

I thought the announcers made an interesting point during last night's game. Not feeling the unselfish team play that could make this team unstoppable. With all the depth we have they felt as if guys have to try and make the most out of the minutes they have by trying to score instead of looking for the extra pass, etc. I kind of agree and think we could be playing a little more unselfishly at times by not taking quick threes when we're not positioned for rebounds, or trying to pound through a double team when a kickout might be a better option, etc. They need to make the most of their minutes in other ways D, movement, all out effort, etc. which don't show up in the stats. I agree with this assessment and feel we could be doing a little better here. Would like to the consistency return for Brad. Good to see JG put up better numbers. TJ didn't have a fantastic statistical night but that kid got it done when we needed it most on that put back at about 6 minutes to hold the lead and taking that charge in the lane late in the game. That's his trademark....tough. Can't wait for it to all come together at once. Let's just keep winning till it does.