Your ticket-buying strategy now versus previous years

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
Was looking at available tickets for tomorrow's game and there appears to be QUITE a bunch remaining (a bunch of almost complete sections of the arena available). So with that and with this being a forum for VCU basketball, seems to be no better place to discuss if you opted out of your season tickets, why you decided to do so. Also if you aren't a season ticket holder, why maybe you won't be buying single game tickets.

I'm curious to see how tomorrow fills out. I know this is a different with with COVID at all, but just curious how Dayton can sell out over 13k seats for the entire season already while VCU looks like they'll have a hard time selling out a home-opener a season after fans not being allowed to attend games. Curious if any of you have any personal stories on why maybe you aren't attending or why people you know might not be.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
Was looking at available tickets for tomorrow's game and there appears to be QUITE a bunch remaining (a bunch of almost complete sections of the arena available). So with that and with this being a forum for VCU basketball, seems to be no better place to discuss if you opted out of your season tickets, why you decided to do so. Also if you aren't a season ticket holder, why maybe you won't be buying single game tickets.

I'm curious to see how tomorrow fills out. I know this is a different with with COVID at all, but just curious how Dayton can sell out over 13k seats for the entire season already while VCU looks like they'll have a hard time selling out a home-opener a season after fans not being allowed to attend games. Curious if any of you have any personal stories on why maybe you aren't attending or why people you know might not be.
Dayton's tickets are WAY cheaper and their revenue model is very different. Not apples to apples.

I suspect COVID has a lot to do with it. Coming from DC, I always just buy tix for the games I can make on stubhub or similar. The tix available on the AD's website are in the endzones/corners and if I have to sit there, I'd rather just watch on TV and save the 4 hours on the road

Linda Knight

Elite Member
Insider
I attended both the B & G game and the VA State game. I noticed that a lot of people were not complying with the mask requirements. Those games were not extremely crowded so I was able to sit with distance between others. I wish VCU would require proof of vaccination since distance between others will not available. I am still not quite comfortable being in large crowds indoors.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
I attended both the B & G game and the VA State game. I noticed that a lot of people were not complying with the mask requirements. Those games were not extremely crowded so I was able to sit with distance between others. I wish VCU would require proof of vaccination since distance between others will not available. I am still not quite comfortable being in large crowds indoors.
100% with you. But that would not solve the empty seats. Many unvaccinated would stay home if they required proof of vax; many vaccinated are staying home because they don't. No way to win that battle if you are the AD

Linda Knight

Elite Member
Insider
100% with you. But that would not solve the empty seats. Many unvaccinated would stay home if they required proof of vax; many vaccinated are staying home because they don't. No way to win that battle if you are the AD
I agree. Catch 22

theyaintwantit

Elite Member

For $$$ reasons, my dad told me as the 19-20 season winded down (pre-COVID), we would reduce our tickets from 4 to 2. Obviously last year didn’t happen, but he stuck with the plan this season. He’s the donor so he will go to every game and my brother and I will switch off going to games via the second ticket.

I will still probably go to every game, even if I have to pay for one. My brother is using the second ticket tomorrow, but I already bought a ticket from a season ticket holder via this forum’s ticket exchange.

I feel like these first two months (until conference play), we will probably see 5000-6500 people in the door. Some people are still uncomfortable in a crowded indoor setting. Some people had tough financial times in the last 20 months. Regardless, if we are competing from the NCAAs come February, I can see us packing The Stu.

RamDanFan

Elite Member
I think a lot of people are pissed off that the department did nothing last year with regard to refunding any annual donation monies while locking out all but a few special donors from attending. Probably made quite few feel that they weren’t as special as they thought they were. No quid pro quo.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
I also wonder if people are taking into consideration of how good this team will be possibly & deciding to stay home early. With the injuries that we have, no one knows what to expect with the team this year & some might think.... no use in risking getting sick to go watch a team possibly struggle (due to a lot of youth)..... where as if this was a team loaded with a senior heavy class & Bones was back & we were a Top 25 team from the start.... I think more people would risk coming to games.

For me I bought my season tickets as if its a normal year.... and as of now only plan on missing 1 home game (This Saturday as I will be coming back from Denver & prob not back in time for the game).

Several reasons including -

Except for 4 or 5 games, the per game ticket price is way too high.

I'm not getting the jab. I could see after a couple games, VCU changing to proof of vaccination. Then what am I going to do with the tickets when VCU is underpricing me at the door?

I didn't feel particularly safe walking back to my car after the B&G game.

Pregame meals are no longer available.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
........... The tix available on the AD's website are in the endzones/corners and if I have to sit there, I'd rather just watch on TV and save the 4 hours on the road
I'd second this. There are some bad sightlines from some seats. Last game my wife and I attended, I took a chance on some corner seats. The sightline wasn't great but what made it worse was the surrounding experience. The people sitting around had very little interest in the game so they were standing doin thins not watching the court, have random unrelated conversations. My wife upon entry stated the energy felt different. Eventually, she couldn't take it anymore and got up and went to the standing area. My wife said if I have to sit in this area with these sight lines and deal with these surroundings, I never have to come to the STU again. As such, we attend way more games on the road. See you guys in Nashville next week

Reactions: SWV

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
I think a lot of people are pissed off that the department did nothing last year with regard to refunding any annual donation monies while locking out all but a few special donors from attending. Probably made quite few feel that they weren’t as special as they thought they were. No quid pro quo.
Bingo! I knew I was paying more for season tickets then I would buying them on a per game basis even if I went to every game, and I was ok with that. I knew that we've been asked to pay more the past few years and have gotten even less in return, and I was trying to be ok with that. I am a low maintenance donor, I don't need a thank you, I don't care if anyone in the athletic department knows my name. I just want tickets and to support our team. I wasn't expecting them to screw me the first chance they got though.