Your ticket-buying strategy now versus previous years

VCU fans aren't used to walking up and buying tickets for the past decade. Now that the sellout streak is officially over they really need to get the word out that you can get tickets at the door and head straight into the game. I was surprised the past few years by how many people thought that VCU tickets were just impossible to get because the sellout streak was so well publicized. General admission tickets have been available at the door for many of our games the past few years, but they were considered sellouts anyway. 8 years ago you had to start making ticket plans in June to go to a game in March. Now you can decide at 6:00 that you want to go to a 7:00 game and it's not a problem. They have to make sure that people know that though.
Difficult advertising. Hey, Rams games have decreased in demand, pick up tickets cheap whenever. No need to make a donation! Fortunately COVID provides a good excuse. Say it enough times and it becomes absolute truth, like the streak itself.

Difficult advertising. Hey, Rams games have decreased in demand, pick up tickets cheap whenever. No need to make a donation! Fortunately COVID provides a good excuse. Say it enough times and it becomes absolute truth, like the streak itself.
Sadly this is very true. We haven't had a true "sell out" in such a long time. Covid gives the AD an easy excuse to why it ended and no longer have to put up the charade that has been the past few years. I expect that we can get back to where we were but there are quite a few gaps that need to be filled to really attract that fanbase back.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Sadly this is very true. We haven't had a true "sell out" in such a long time. Covid gives the AD an easy excuse to why it ended and no longer have to put up the charade that has been the past few years. I expect that we can get back to where we were but there are quite a few gaps that need to be filled to really attract that fanbase back.

You can call previous sellouts a charade all you want, but the Stu has not been any where as empty as it was Tuesday night in 10+ years. There may have been at best 5,000 - 5,500 there in actual attendance Tuesday night. And using the excuse that it was a 6PM start time is also a joke. It's not the first 6PM weekday game VCU has had in the last ten years. If anything, you would have thought the fan base would have been amped up to finally be able to see a regular season game in person for the first time in two years. Ed has priced a lot of fans out of the market and it really showed Tuesday night. Just wait until VCU plays a team that travels well play in the Stu this year. It's not going to be a good look with 1,500 Dayton fans screaming in the Stu when they play VCU. Ed has totally crapped the bed on this one.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
You can call previous sellouts a charade all you want, but the Stu has not been any where as empty as it was Tuesday night in 10+ years. There may have been at best 5,000 - 5,500 there in actual attendance Tuesday night. And using the excuse that it was a 6PM start time is also a joke. It's not the first 6PM weekday game VCU has had in the last ten years. If anything, you would have thought the fan base would have been amped up to finally be able to see a regular season game in person for the first time in two years. Ed has priced a lot of fans out of the market and it really showed Tuesday night. Just wait until VCU plays a team that travels well play in the Stu this year. It's not going to be a good look with 1,500 Dayton fans screaming in the Stu when they play VCU. Ed has totally crapped the bed on this one.
Who pee'd in your cereal?

I suppose I am a fool for making a pledge and buying season tickets. I will know better next time. I may lose my standing as a member of the capital campaign.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Who pee'd in your cereal?

Were you at the game? Have you looked at all of the ticket availability for each game on the VCU web site? All four corners of the Stu had plenty of empty seats Tuesday night. And those are the sections that show seat availability for each and every game this year, including the big games against Dayton, fur and St. Bonaventure. It's not a pretty picture.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Were you at the game? Have you looked at all of the ticket availability for each game on the VCU web site? All four corners of the Stu had plenty of empty seats Tuesday night. And those are the sections that show seat availability for each and every game this year, including the big games against Dayton, fur and St. Bonaventure. It's not a pretty picture.
I was there and I was bummed for sure, but how exactly did Ed screw the pooch?
Dayton, UR, & St Bona are months away, no need to pee your pants over it.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
I suppose I am a fool for making a pledge and buying season tickets. I will know better next time.

I don't think you are a fool for making a pledge and buying season tickets. I am in the same boat. You have been around , like me, long enough to know how big the hard core season ticket base actually is. At best, it's about 50% of the Stu's capacity. Those season ticket holders are going to continue to purchase season tickets every year, although some of them may not like what's happening with the pricing. The other 50% are not that dedicated and clearly purchase tickets based on a price point they can afford, or are willing to pay. When season ticket demand goes down and fans start seeing how much cheaper they can purchase single game tickets for, many are going to take that route. And in doing so, the need to contribute to the RAF is also not necessary. Sold out arenas increase revenue for the RAF through season ticket sales. Single game ticket availability does not. It's basic economics.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
I was there and I was bummed for sure, but how exactly did Ed screw the pooch?
Dayton, UR, & St Bona are months away, no need to pee your pants over it.

If the single game tickets for those games are available through VCU now, you don't think those schools aren't grabbing those tickets now? You better believe they are. VCU fans would be doing the same thing.

I think you confuse me with those who was bothered by it. I didn’t feel the need to express my opinion on where I personally stood but since you felt the need to come at me with out the benefit of knowing my position, let me help you . I 100% support what they did because I have personally experienced some of the things raised during the protest. So all those analogies you tried to make would also be things I oppose. Let me suggest that you not try to put a person on a box when you know nothing about them or their experience
Ok, i take it back for you, but will double down on all karens and Ken's who do have a problem with that picture. Apologies.

Paid attendance may have been 7,017, which I question based on ticket availability yesterday afternoon, but no way there were more than 5,500 at best at the game last night. All four corners had tons of empty seats, and there were empty seats in the sections between the baselines.
Oh, you mean the corners that no fans or students can get, just the "luxury boxes" for corporations?

A quick note...

VCU Siegel Center capacity = 7617
Last night's reported attendance = 7017

At around 10:20 AM I had tallied up 942 seats you could purchase through VCU's ticketing site (hand-counted those tiny green dots...every seat). If VCU's reported attendance is legit (that's questionable...), that would mean from the time I counted remaining purchasable seats until tip, they sold just 342 seats. That feels like a low walkup number to me over a seven-hour period for a home-opener a year when fans can finally watch games in person. Clearly work to do there on a number of levels and I hope VCU is having meetings on how to best attack that, which I don't doubt at all they are.

I'm disappointed in the turnout, but it in a weird way it feels like a refreshing realization of how healthy (no pun intended) the fan base actually is right now and an opportunity to make some overdue needed changes. We could tell two years ago pre-COVID that things weren't the same as the "golden age" (2011-2016 or so), but now there's just no denying it. I get the corporate push strategy a few years ago (because things had to get paid for), but also think maybe we are seeing what happens when those buyers cool off combined with a average Joe fan who feels like they've been ignored/under appreciated the last bunch of years and a student population that seems pretty apathetic about VCU basketball in general. Curious to see how VCU attacks this.

Its all about "does the AD understand, and if he does does he care?" based on every move he has made he is actively hostile to non-corporate donors and fans. He doesn't want them or need them. His vision is 99% corporate owned seats, and a token 100 or so kids let in for "atmosphere", and he is probably considering charging he kids.

Newboy

Elite Member
Insider
If the single game tickets for those games are available through VCU now, you don't think those schools aren't grabbing those tickets now? You better believe they are. VCU fans would be doing the same thing.
Dude, perhaps you should set up your own thread - "Wolfpack Festivus" where you can air your grievances. You can rant and rave all day.

LUVMYRAMS

Insider
I am really saddened that so many of y’all do not want to support our athletic program. I do all I can to encourage people to come to games. How do you think we’ll continue to have success with less money in the program? The money is needed to pay for the practice facility, flights to away games, recruiting across the country, paying assistant coaches good salaries and supporting all the non revenue sports. I want VCU to continue its success. In reading the comments here I fear for the future of the program. And I want the players to have the Stu filled with cheering fans. The fan support makes a difference