2 New Local Recruiting Targets

districtballer

Elite Member
In keeping with his philosophy of staying close to home with recruiting, Coach Smart has targeted two local Richmond guys for 2010 in the last couple of days. Justin Coleman (6'4, 185) out of Henrico High and David Robinson (6'3, 175) out of Cosby H.S.

Coleman in particular just blew up at the Southern Jam Fest in Hampton today and is the feature story on Scout.com's recruiting page.

677350.jpg

Justin Coleman

578547.jpg

David Robinson

I can't believe we are targeting 2s and 3s for next year's two or possibly three open scholarships when we lose TJ, KP and maybe Larry.

ramathon74 said:
I can't believe we are targeting 2s and 3s for next year's two or possibly three open scholarships when we lose TJ, KP and maybe Larry.

Nothing too serious at this point. I was also a little surprised as well. Coleman is a SF/SG combo, kind of like Burgess. Robinson is a 2 guard. I doubt we'll see Robinson heading to the Rams. Coleman has some interest in playing for us though. Looks like he burst out onto the national radar a bit with his performance in Hampton. We'll see if we remain in the hunt for him. I can see Coleman replacing TJ's role as I hear they are similar players, although Coleman has better shooting ability.

at0micfly said:
districtballer said:
I doubt we'll see Robinson heading to the Rams.

Well, why do you think this

Doesn't seem to be on our radar too much. For reasons mentioned before, we don't need 2 guards at this point. We are overloaded at that position with better players. Robinson is good, but Daniels is a much better player honestly. I'd take Theus over Robinson as well.

Perhaps Coach Smart thinks that David Robinson will grow 5 or 6 inches during his VCU career?

Regardless of what you guys are looking for, you'd be crazy not to offer Coleman. That said, since Dave wrote the article he probably picked up 10 offers or more from high majors already. I didn't see the blow up game, but Hustle did and will write about it later in the week. I did see Justin against Boo Williams team. He showed some nice range on his shot and is a sick athlete. He forced a few shots against them though as his team was overmatched.

I didn't get to see Robinson, but Hustle might've. I'm not sure. We saw a ton of Virginia and North Carolina teams so we'll have plenty of updates in the next couple weeks. I'm sure we'll have a few potential VCU targets.

Ramdom said:
Robinson = D3 prospect

/thread

Not so fast my friend

He currently has an offer from Liberty and he has been in talks with Elon and Navy.

He also said Smart and the assistants have been talking to him a lot and he's been talking back..... :geek:

at0micfly said:
Ramdom said:
Robinson = D3 prospect

/thread

Not so fast my friend

He currently has an offer from Liberty and he has been in talks with Elon and Navy.

He also said Smart and the assistants have been talking to him a lot and he's been talking back..... :geek:

Then they are making a mistake, let Liberty have him.

at0micfly said:
Not so fast my friend

Aren't those D3 schools?

xjohnx said:
at0micfly said:
Not so fast my friend

Aren't those D3 schools?

Basketball-wise, those schools should be honored to be mentioned in the same breath at VCU. However, if he qualifies for Navy, then you know he's an excellent student academically and a person with all around good character and integrity.

Back