2010 Road to Glory

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
I'm as mad about last night's loss as anyone, definitely had my moments of anger with our coach/team... but as many of our elders have pointed out, while our at large chances are shot... we've been through this before, sorta.

Feb 7, 2009: 17-7
Feb 13, 2010: 17-7

2009 tournament path
Georgia St (8)
ODU (4)
George Mason (2)

2010 tournament path (currently)
Towson (11)
George Mason (3)
Northeastern (2)
and ODU (1)

Definitely a tough road, but wouldn't it be fun taking out the top 3 seeds? Tough, but potentially fun.

We destroyed Towson, blew a 15 point lead AT Mason, beat ODU by 12, and are due for a win against Northeastern ;) ...that's also assuming those teams avoid any slip ups

You think George Mason would look forward to getting VCU in Richmond in their first tournament game? I doubt it. If anyone is happy it's gotta be ODU fans who wouldn't have to play us or Mason (great tournament crowds)..or Northeastern until the final game (which truth be told is probably a good thing for the CAA as far as hopefully getting in two teams).

One thing I feel good about is the fact that the CAA tourney is here in Richmond. Yes, I know it's not at The Stu but VCU fans will be the majority. So in essence we will have a chance for 3 maybe 4 home games to win the tourney.

After a lot of thought if we win out, yes including @ODU and make it to the CAA finals I still think we will be one of the last teams to get into the NCAA's, even if we don't win the CAA.

redsoxn2004 said:
Natty NU is the number 1 seed due to a tirebreaker over ODU...

My bad. I was just going off how they were listed on the CAA's site.

Last year I was extremely nervous going into the CAA tournament. It was Eric's last season, we were the #1 preseason pick, and won the regular season. That was our year to win the tourney. Although we are further behind in the standings then expected this was not our year to win the tourney. I still think we have almost as good of a chance as anyone though. Other than Northeastern I think we would be at least even money going up against Drexel, W&M, ODU, GMU, on a neutral court in Richmond. That is not your typical 6 seed. We very well could steal this from ODU or NU who have been building up to this point for years.

VCU Finance 2008 said:
We very well could steal this from ODU or NU who have been building up to this point for years.

Somebody needs to steal it from ODU. Not because they are our rival, but because each game CAA teams play (or any conference) in the NCAA tournament is worth $206,000 (payed out FOR 6 years...not over, for) towards the conference.

So if ODU can get a win at UNI boosting it's resume, and someone (hopefully us) can knock them out of the tournament...the CAA wins much bigger than it does handing ODU the trophy.

Natty said:
VCU Finance 2008 said:
We very well could steal this from ODU or NU who have been building up to this point for years.

Somebody needs to steal it from ODU. Not because they are our rival, but because each game CAA teams play (or any conference) in the NCAA tournament is worth $206,000 (payed out FOR 6 years...not over, for) towards the conference.

So if ODU can get a win at UNI boosting it's resume, and someone (hopefully us) can knock them out of the tournament...the CAA wins much bigger than it does handing ODU the trophy.

You could have made your case just by saying ODU needs to lose, but I agree that money is big for the league. What the league did in 2006 is well known, and in 2007 two teams got in and one won a first round game. That money is going to start to run out soon however. The league has started to make some strides, we don't want to regress.

The #1 seed usually wins the tournament. That being said, we got picked off 2 years ago and need to take that one back, so might as well do it this year!

I don't care who we have to beat. This team can take on anyone in the league and get a win. The players will be ready.

vcubanana said:
I don't care who we have to beat. This team can take on anyone in the league and get a win. The players will be ready.

We can also lose to anyone too sadly

Mercury said:
vcubanana said:

We can also lose to anyone too sadly
Turn that frown upside down, clown!

I would love to somehow face ODU in the finals...bring them on. That would be the loudest tournament crowd ever

r4m said:
I would love to somehow face ODU in the finals...bring them on. That would be the loudest tournament crowd ever

We pretty much did last year, just had to show up the next night for the celebration.

r4m said:

The CAA probably wouldn't be mad at that matchup either. VCU v. ODU, VCU v. GMU, GMU v. ODU...heck, William and Mary even had a great crowd two years ago (and their fans are out in full force this year). Our last bunch of CAA tournaments looked pretty great on TV (although people probably got bored in last year's beatdown we handed GMU).

Natty said:
r4m said:

The CAA probably wouldn't be mad at that matchup either. VCU v. ODU, VCU v. GMU, GMU v. ODU...heck, William and Mary even had a great crowd two years ago (and their fans are out in full force this year). Our last bunch of CAA tournaments looked pretty great on TV (although people probably got bored in last year's beatdown we handed GMU).

Sorry it's a bit OT, but have any of you guys ever heard anything about the kind of ratings share the CAA finals have gotten over the years?

Back