Recruiting 2019 3* Maceo Austin: closed

Look at this real life example. Bacot has VCU on his final list. Should VCU put all there eggs in one basket and not recruit another similar player? What if Bacot doesn't choose VCU then what? Does that make sense?

Then we sign @N Mollen. He has both a left and right handed jump hook. The george Mikan of vcu.

giphy.gif

So I don't speak for VCU or any school but generally as part of the conversation kids know where they fall. there are a number of reasons a kid may get an offer. For example, one of the things you hear people reference a lot on here and in other places is what does the offer sheet look like? Coach John at Any AAU may have a kid that he is trying to get a scholarship. He has a relationship with Coach Sam at lets say Duke. Duke has no intention on signing Coach Jon player but they may help get the ball rolling by "offering" him. Now a Coach at say Boston College sees this and say hey, if Duke is interested, maybe we should take a look. They end up liking what they see and offer the kid a committable offer, meaning one that the kid can say hey I want to commit right now. That's just one scenario and there are many others in recruiting.

Step away from thinking about VCU and just think in general terms. Do you think four, five or however many schools are all sitting around waiting for a 17 or 18 year old to make a decision with no options in hand? I mean here is another example, I travel to a lot of basketball games in a lot of states. Often, I will reserve the first room on booking. com that meets my criteria. Now, I often will book a 2nd room because I have been burned on a room not being as advertised and I want to have a fall back plan. Also, leading up to the trip, I am still checking to see if something better is available. The same thing happens in recruiting.

Look at this real life example. Bacot has VCU on his final list. Should VCU put all there eggs in one basket and not recruit another similar player? What if Bacot doesn't choose VCU then what? Does that make sense?
Also, another scenario is the coaches know who they covet, who they really like, who they'd accept, and who's a fill in. In that group coaches also know that the further a kid jumps up the food chain the better chance he has to get signed ASAP.

Similarly outside the top 25 or so, kids know where they'd really like to go, where they be happy to go, and what would be an ok place to go.

It's a balancing act. At the VCU level we have to decide whether we want to wait for a player to be told he isn't going to dream school(s) or simply he won't be the coveted recruit and then decide to come to us. Or we can immediately sign the player who really wants to be here even though he isn't the best or at the very least not as good as the player that's trying to see if they can move up. Again, its a balancing act.

Fwiw, even if coaches arent in the kids ear telling him he is on their list, opposing recruiters (VCU's included) surely are.

Last edited:
Whats the point of of box squat if you don't touch the box? Trainer better get on that! haha

maceo austin is alot better than his rating. He was part of the 1-2 punch that won multiple state championships with oscar tschiebwe(top.50 center).

Reminds me pf kellen grady.

Back