Recruiting 2022 Offers

# of spots is fluid, but as it stands today and hopefully remains we have a full roster. Sometimes once the new guys come in for summer workouts there are players on teams that are fighting for minutes that then see that battle become greater and make a change over the summer. My hopes are that after meeting with Coach and doing self evaluation that all the guys we currently have are committed to working hard in the gym and classroom to achieve their goals here.

# of spots is fluid, but as it stands today and hopefully remains we have a full roster. Sometimes once the new guys come in for summer workouts there are players on teams that are fighting for minutes that then see that battle become greater and make a change over the summer. My hopes are that after meeting with Coach and doing self evaluation that all the guys we currently have are committed to working hard in the gym and classroom to achieve their goals here.

May 1st was the cut off date for entering the transfer portal and being eligible for next year. I can't see any VCU players transferring at this point and having to sit out a year at their next destination.

"Players in fall and winter sports must provide their school with “a written request to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal by May 1.” That May 1 deadline is a cutoff. If a player doesn’t enter the portal by that date, they won’t be eligible for the 2022 season, pending a waiver.

CAN A PLAYER ENTER THE PORTAL AFTER MAY 1?

Yes. There are no restrictions as to when an athlete can enter the portal. But if they’re not in the portal by May 1, they’ll have to sit out a year in-residence at their new school, which counts as one of their five seasons of eligibility."

I am still tracking the odds before placing a wager on both Jimmy and Tso taking the court this fall at there new locations

May 1st was the cut off date for entering the transfer portal and being eligible for next year. I can't see any VCU players transferring at this point and having to sit out a year at their next destination.

"Players in fall and winter sports must provide their school with “a written request to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal by May 1.” That May 1 deadline is a cutoff. If a player doesn’t enter the portal by that date, they won’t be eligible for the 2022 season, pending a waiver.

Yes. There are no restrictions as to when an athlete can enter the portal. But if they’re not in the portal by May 1, they’ll have to sit out a year in-residence at their new school, which counts as one of their five seasons of eligibility."

For some , have a year to develop and free room and board isn’t a scary thing. True , the better players aren’t likely to move from schools at this point

one of their five seasons of eligibility? Even if they don't have a COVID year?

one of their five seasons of eligibility? Even if they don't have a COVID year?

If they didn't enter the transfer portal by May 1st and decide to transfer this summer, they have to sit out a year as a red shirt year.

If they didn't enter the transfer portal by May 1st and decide to transfer this summer, they have to sit out a year as a red shirt year.
And it counts as one of their FIVE years of eligibility. Now maybe this is the old "five years to complete 4 years of play" but it doesn't sound like it

And it counts as one of their FIVE years of eligibility. Now maybe this is the old "five years to complete 4 years of play" but it doesn't sound like it
It is exactly that. They still have 5 years to play 4 seasons, they don't get the sixth year unless they played in the 2020-21 season.

It is. The extra COVID year only impacts a finite group of athletes that were eligible during I believe the 2020-21 season. This year's current freshman class and all future freshman classes only get 5 years to play 4. And the expanded scholarship rosters were only for the 2021-22 season.

Poorly phrased if that's it. "Eligibility" to me suggests eligibility to play, and you onluy get 4 of those

Poorly phrased if that's it. "Eligibility" to me suggests eligibility to play, and you onluy get 4 of those

It's not that complicated. If you enter the transfer portal after May 1st, you are bound by the old transfer rules that require you to sit out the upcoming year. In order to be eligible immediately the following year, you have to enter the transfer portal by May 1st. Also, you only get one "free" transfer. If you transfer a second time, and you are not a graduate transfer, you have to sit out a year. 5 years to play 4 as it's always been, except for the COVID exception that only applied to those players that were on NCAA rosters in 2020-21.

Back