2023-24 NET rankings and metrics thread

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Happy (ish) NET day! The first NET rankings of the season have been released. VCU comes in at #138 in the NET...which is honestly not as bad as I was expecting.

The A10 is currently the 8th-ranked conference in terms of NET. Conference NET rankings:

#42 Dayton
#62 George Mason
#79 St. Joseph's
#85 Richmond
#86 GW
#91 Duquesne
#94 UMass
#121 Davidson
#125 Loyola Chicago
#127 St. Bonaventure
#138 VCU
#181 La Salle
#186 Fordham
#192 Rhode Island
#258 Saint Louis

VCU moved up from #130 to #114 in the NET after the thrashing of Alcorn State. We've actually moved up 31 spots since bottoming out at 145 after the loss to Memphis.

Meanwhile, the A10 looks resurgent this year, with 4 teams in the top 75 of the NET:

#46 Dayton
#59 George Mason
#64 St. Joseph's (up from #82)
#71 St. Bonaventure
(#76 Duquesne)

Most so-called bracketologists still show the A10 as being a one-bid league, but St. Joe's may be playing itself into the at-large discussion if they can keep up their momentum. If not for the puzzling loss to Texas A&M-Commerce they'd be firmly within that discussion.

As for non-conference opponents, Iowa State is #8 in the NET and McNeese is #41 and gradually declining after destroying Mississippi University for Women's men's basketball team 92-23.

VCU moved up from #130 to #114 in the NET after the thrashing of Alcorn State. We've actually moved up 31 spots since bottoming out at 145 after the loss to Memphis.

Meanwhile, the A10 looks resurgent this year, with 4 teams in the top 75 of the NET:

#46 Dayton
#59 George Mason
#64 St. Joseph's (up from #82)
#71 St. Bonaventure
(#76 Duquesne)

Most so-called bracketologists still show the A10 as being a one-bid league, but St. Joe's may be playing itself into the at-large discussion if they can keep up their momentum. If not for the puzzling loss to Texas A&M-Commerce they'd be firmly within that discussion.

As for non-conference opponents, Iowa State is #8 in the NET and McNeese is #41 and gradually declining after destroying Mississippi University for Women's men's basketball team 92-23.
How about Boise?

a10 is 2-21 vs Tier 1 opponents (St Joes has all the wins)

naturally the numbers are still in a high state of flux until mid January or later - as teams jump 30 spots with a win, even against mediocre competition

would love if 3 of our conference games are Tier 1

go rams
Yeah, this is the biggest detriment to getting bids. It's not NET. It's the resume.

As for non-conference opponents, Iowa State is #8 in the NET and McNeese is #41 and gradually declining after destroying Mississippi University for Women's men's basketball team 9292-23.

Like I said before. That Penn state is a our potential signature OOC win. When Penn state beat Ohio State. Penn State jumped 24 spots from 171 - 147 and VCU jumped 13 spots from 143 to 130.

In January, they play Michigan State(84), Michigan(66), Northwestern(47), Purdue(4), Ohio State(35), Minnesota(115) and Rutgers(75)...the 6 top 100 opportunities..all teams ranked ahead of them in the NET....we could easily get a Quad 1 win out of this if they win say 3 or 4 of those games...

Like I said before. That Penn state is a our potential signature OOC win. When Penn state beat Ohio State. Penn State jumped 24 spots from 171 - 147 and VCU jumped 13 spots from 143 to 130.

In January, they play Michigan State(84), Michigan(66), Northwestern(47), Purdue(4), Ohio State(35), Minnesota(115) and Rutgers(75)...the 6 top 100 opportunities..all teams ranked ahead of them in the NET....we could easily get a Quad 1 win out of this if they win say 3 or 4 of those games...
They did beat Ohio State but they are going to have to seriously overperform in order to reach that status. Torvik only has them favored to win 3 of their remaining 21 games, with Maryland listed as a push.

At this point the NET is basically a curiosity as we have absolutely no chance of an at-large tournament bid with our losses to McNeese (who will absolutely crash if they lose to any of their remaining opponents) and Norfolk State. I'm mainly posting about it as sort of a what-if thing.

were not getting an at large bid this year so its best to not focus too much on net

So, our wins are against 132, 137, 143, 186, and 325... losses to 8, 40, 41, 113, and 168. We have 149, 202 and 336 (ugh!) left in the OOC.
Our best hopes for good wins are definitely road games in conference now. And that's not favorable for us, at Dayton, GMU, maybe UR (not counting on those last two) could be our only Q1 chances now. Not totally discounting our at large yet, but the chance isn't very good. Let's go win the A10 tourney!

Y'all do know the committee considers injuries and absences. If Sean and Bam come back and we end up something like 16-2 in conference play, we'll be in the discussion.
If we go 16-2 in conference play then I'm dreaming and I'll buy you all whiskey :D

If we go 16-2 in conference play then I'm dreaming and I'll buy you all whiskey :D
I'll hold you to it. Im still not sold on the A10 being very strong, but we went out and got it done against the paper tigers like we needed to (except St. Joes who lost to the paper tigers and beat the real tigers).

Back