2023-24 NET rankings and metrics thread

We've won 8 of our last 9 and just beat the #16 team. This obviously is not the same team as early in the season.
Yep, after the first handful of games, I would have been pleased if we were 14 and 10 at this point. The thought of even making the NIT didn't even cross my mind. This is not even close to being the same team they were a few months ago.

Where's the outrage that UNC lost and only dropped one spot? heck, BYU won and also dropped the same amount.

Also, lol @UVA
Math is fun. When there's lots of variables in any sort of model there are often some unexpected results. Clearly the NET model is taking into things beyond just Win/Loss, and weird results are bound to happen.

Math is fun. When there's lots of variables in any sort of model there are often some unexpected results. Clearly the NET model is taking into things beyond just Win/Loss, and weird results are bound to happen.
NET is comprised mostly as an efficiency stat, so w/l plays a smaller role. Just pointing out that most of the complaints are only voiced when it cuts against your team/worldview. Some wins are less impressive than some losses, and performance metrics are correct to reward playing well in a loss to a good team (especially on the road). I have my compliant with efficiency stats but it's more tied to the fact that they implicitly ignore some items like teams play to win, so the scoring at the end of a game isn't necessarily indicative of general performance.

Last edited:
NET is comprised mostly as an efficiency stat, so w/l plays a smaller roll. Just pointing out that most of the complaints are only voiced when it cuts against your team/worldview. Some wins are less impressive than some losses, and performance metrics are correct to reward playing well in a loss to a good team (especially on the road). I have my compliant with efficiency stats but it's more tied to the fact that they implicitly ignore some items like teams play to win, so the scoring at the end of a game isn't necessarily indicative of general performance.
Yeah, I wasn't meaning to direct that at you tbh, was just commenting on the whole silliness of some people not understanding it.

Yeah, I wasn't meaning to direct that at you tbh, was just commenting on the whole silliness of some people not understanding it.
Ah. Got it.

If you were to take all the 'it outta count this more' reactions, there'd be something like 200 teams ranked in the top 30.

NET is comprised mostly as an efficiency stat, so w/l plays a smaller role. Just pointing out that most of the complaints are only voiced when it cuts against your team/worldview. Some wins are less impressive than some losses, and performance metrics are correct to reward playing well in a loss to a good team (especially on the road). I have my compliant with efficiency stats but it's more tied to the fact that they implicitly ignore some items like teams play to win, so the scoring at the end of a game isn't necessarily indicative of general performance.
Yeah, losing to a really good team in a well played game can actually help your NET or at least not hurt it too much. You've taught me a lot Violet Ram! I also still have some problems with the NET. I wish it was more transparent, and still wonder at teams who make hay in the NET by being very efficient against teams it's pretty easy to be very efficient against.

Ah. Got it.

If you were to take all the 'it outta count this more' reactions, there'd be something like 200 teams ranked in the top 30.

Math and metrics be damned, the only thing that counts is to me VCU is a top 50 squad and a tournament team every year for this year and all years to come for eternity.

Didn't move, still 72. There weren't many games on last night, but still...not even 1 spot?

We won. Now we just sit back and see how the weekend unfolds. Bet your bottom dollar that we will not be 72 when Monday morning arrives.
Facts! So many games being played today...love it.

We won. Now we just sit back and see how the weekend unfolds. Bet your bottom dollar that we will not be 72 when Monday morning arrives.
Up to 76 on Kenpom

Back