2023-24 NET rankings and metrics thread

sigh

the current list of VCU basketball thoughts living rent free in my head
Zeb's missed layup
The continued absence of Air Rodney
Rams SBU death spiral

There is another list of all time VCU regrets, but that's a different conversation...
I will never not talk about the late great Air Rodney. Dude was my whole childhood!

The NET is strange. We gained back over half of the spots we lost after Penn State and George Mason won, and are now sitting at #74. Mason jumped from #85 to #80, while Dayton didn't move at all and is still #19.

The NET is strange. We gained back over half of the spots we lost after Penn State and George Mason won, and are now sitting at #74. Mason jumped from #85 to #80, while Dayton didn't move at all and is still #19.
If I understand it correctly, which is no guarantee, they lost but get credit for having lost to a team that beat the number 19 team, which must be decent.

Whenever the discussion involves NET I think of the New York Nets, starring Rick Barry, playing the Virginia Squires at the old Richmond Arena.

The red, white and blue ball was often finding the Nets (that word again). Barry hit eight treys, all in the first half. It was the best shooting performance I've ever seen. Later, he dazzled the press by blow drying his long, thin hair in the locker room.

If I understand it correctly, which is no guarantee, they lost but get credit for having lost to a team that beat the number 19 team, which must be decent.
GMU vs Dayton (probably) had 0 impact on our NET. PSU probably gave us a bit of a boost. The real reason why we moved up is because of the teams above us. Miami got clobbered at home, SBU lost to a bad LA Salle team by a fair amount. I'm guessing UNTs opponents dropped the ball and nit sure about App st.

I've also said it before that looking at just NET rankings, which is all we have, obscures the magnitude of results. The raw score between teams is sometimes bigger or closer. Take Richmond on Kenpom. They are 1 spot behind LSU and 1 spot ahead of NC. State, and in terms of raw score they are only .01 adjem away from moving up or down. If you look 2 spots ahead or behind them, the raw adjem is a difference of .3. Changes from a single game involving an opponent could flip UR with LSU or NC State, but at this point of the season that's about all the they would change on am ordinal scale. And when it'd all said and done, Kenpom basically thinks Richmond, LSU and NC state are equal.

I'm trying to figure out what Dayton's big wins are ... are there any? Perhaps SMU at 19-8 .... LSU is 14-13, St. John's 15-12 and Cincy 16-11 ...not too bad but hardly deserving on national ranking.

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out what Dayton's big wins are ... are there any? Perhaps SMU at 19-8 .... LSU is 14-13, St. John's 15-12 and Cincy 16-11 ...not too bad but hardly deserving on national ranking.
I feel like sometimes it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. People assume the team will be good, they look good early on, they beat a few teams that we THINK are good, and then the voters decide to rank the team. The ranked team then loses a couple of games they shouldn't, and it turns out some of their "good" wins aren't that good, but voters are hesitant to remove them. Also, the voters are not watching every single game, so they just go on past assumptions. It's probably why we should not give a huge amount of credence to the top 25. Personally, I think after losing to GMU, Dayton should absolutely not be ranked.

Back