Players 2023-24 Roster Thread

I'm gonna take the worst case scenario and assume Heel's intel...Deloach, Watkins and Ace..Gone...so 7 openings.

I can see Watkins, but I hope not. Deloach and Ace have the two most supportive parents on our team who continuously show support for the school and coaches. I’d be surprised if they go, but I want what is best for the players. Can’t blame them.

Frankly all we have now is word of mouth that even our source here thinks might not be the case.
I want to wait, let a little dust settle and see what happens. If some of our guys can get a good "not NIL" check and help their families out, who can blame them, I don't begrudge them that. But most of these guys are VCU Rams through and through and this seems to be a particularly tight group, as Shaka once said, "There's something to be said for happiness."
I can't do a whole lot, but I'm going over to the NIL group site this morning and doing what I can. I want to keep this group together. Despite the results yesterday (BTW it might be the next day, but it hasn't been 24 hours yet, and yes, I'm still sad and mad), I still love this team and the potential for next year if we keep most of the core together is exciting!

Frankly all we have now is word of mouth that even our source here thinks might not be the case.
I want to wait, let a little dust settle and see what happens. If some of our guys can get a good "not NIL" check and help their families out, who can blame them, I don't begrudge them that. But most of these guys are VCU Rams through and through and this seems to be a particularly tight group, as Shaka once said, "There's something to be said for happiness."
I can't do a whole lot, but I'm going over to the NIL group site this morning and doing what I can. I want to keep this group together. Despite the results yesterday (BTW it might be the next day, but it hasn't been 24 hours yet, and yes, I'm still sad and mad), I still love this team and the potential for next year if we keep most of the core together is exciting!
Yeah, it's like last Monday in reverse. I really expected us to be playing tomorrow.

At the moment, just 1 right? I think he was a walk-on, and we have Foster coming in. Not sure what will happen with McAlister, but that would open up another.
We need a big, not Wheeler I hope, A shooter, and would love to see another combo guard, that mainly plays point, depending on other developments.
I dont think we need another combo guard. We've got a few of them.

We need a post defender. We need someone that can at least keep the other teams bigs honest. The last two gams and the UR game has made that crystal clear.

We also need a shooter. Hopefully, one that is a bit quicker than Shriver. However, I hope that shooter has Shriver's attitude and grit.

Would love to see us backfill with that Clayton Jr. kid from Iona when Pitino bolts and he heads to the portal. Dude is a straight up baller. Really enjoyed watching him play in Albany last night after our debacle. Fits our style too.

I spoke with his Dad and as long as his body holds up he' like a chance to play.

Who can blame the guy.
I hate to say it, but with all of his knee injuries is he even good enough to play at VCU's level anymore? I wonder if he might be better off taking whatever eligibility he has and going to a lower conference school.

I'm gonna take the worst case scenario and assume Heel's intel...Deloach, Watkins and Ace..Gone...so 7 openings.
I don’t think this is going to happen. The Maryland thing with Ace was last off-season, and remember that Ace tweeted something like Mike is the best coach in America.

I doubt the other 2 go anywhere either, but if either do we’ll be okay.

I think things look very promising for next season. Lawal and Fermin will be improved. And we are involved with good recruits and players in the portal, presumably.

You have to remember, we are not Mason, UR, etc. We are VCU, both the regular season and conference tournament champions. We are arguably the flagship of the A10. Kids aren’t looking to run away from this unless it’s a playing time issue.

If Deloach, Watkins, and Ace transfer with both BJJ and Shriver graduating then that is basically our entire team, and you see how we were completely lost without Ace yesterday.

That would be devastating to this program, but everybody here would just say it's because of NIL and MR deserves a break and then another 4 years will go by without an NCAA win.

One of the biggest issues with NIL offers is the basketball coaches at the schools have to be involved, behind the scenes, on the player's they want. Based on Ace being linked to Maryland and Deloach at FSU, the coach has to know and want them on their roster. Am I missing something?

Even under the worst case scenario posted previously, I think be we will be able to field an NCAA team with those losses...

There is a better than 50% chance to find an upgrade for at least 2 of those replacements.

If Deloach, Watkins, and Ace transfer with both BJJ and Shriver graduating then that is basically our entire team, and you see how we were completely lost without Ace yesterday.

That would be devastating to this program, but everybody here would just say it's because of NIL and MR deserves a break and then another 4 years will go by without an NCAA win.
Well, IF that happens, doubtful, let's see who we bring in. Some of the connections we have with guys in the Portal already could turn into a team that can win the A10 again.

Back