Players 2023-24 Roster Thread

Until someone announces that they are leaving, or there is a strong indication of such, how about letting the coaches manage things and not think the worst? I think there’s a whole lot of unnecessary panicking here for no reason. Besides, like DL said, if 2 of the 3 mentioned here were to leave, we could possibly replace them with someone better.

I don’t think this is going to happen. The Maryland thing with Ace was last off-season, and remember that Ace tweeted something like Mike is the best coach in America.

I doubt the other 2 go anywhere either, but if either do we’ll be okay.

I think things look very promising for next season. Lawal and Fermin will be improved. And we are involved with good recruits and players in the portal, presumably.

You have to remember, we are not Mason, UR, etc. We are VCU, both the regular season and conference tournament champions. We are arguably the flagship of the A10. Kids aren’t looking to run away from this unless it’s a playing time issue.
How can Mike be the best coach in America? Doesn’t Ace read these boards? People on here who never played basketball obviously know more about basketball and coaching than the current A10 player of the year. :lol:

If Deloach, Watkins, and Ace transfer with both BJJ and Shriver graduating then that is basically our entire team, and you see how we were completely lost without Ace yesterday.

That would be devastating to this program, but everybody here would just say it's because of NIL and MR deserves a break and then another 4 years will go by without an NCAA win.
And the guys who stay will improve dramatically. We aren’t losing as many as you think.

IF most everyone stays. IF everyone stays healthy, especially joint wise. IF MR can plug any vacancies with good choices from the portal. Maybe, just maybe we could win an early season tournament.

The reality is that most teams will lose a couple of guys to transfer. I think last season, there were over 1,400 players in the portal, which is about 4 per team. So, getting it right in the transfer portal is essential. It is encouraging that this season’s transfers were light years better than last season’s transfers. Hopefully, Mike and staff can get the right guys for next season.

The reality is that most teams will lose a couple of guys to transfer. I think last season, there were over 1,400 players in the portal, which is about 4 per team. So, getting it right in the transfer portal is essential. It is encouraging that this season’s transfers were light years better than last season’s transfers. Hopefully, Mike and staff can get the right guys for next season.
Yes, better than the guys they replace.

Coaches come and go, too ... what's this I hear about The RhoadesRunner being on G-Town's list? One of nine candidates according to Fansider.com. .... of the ones listed, Mike is the best.

Coaches come and go, too ... what's this I hear about The RhoadesRunner being on G-Town's list? One of nine candidates according to Fansider.com. .... of the ones listed, Mike is the best.
I’d be more worried about Notre Dame than Georgetown. That said, I don’t think he’s going anywhere. Mike started as an assistant at Macon in 1996. That means he’s spent 24 of the last 27 years in the Richmond area. I have no idea what Mike is thinking, but I’d be shocked if he left to take another job.

Benny Dees, Dana Kirk, JD Barnett, Jeff Capel, Anthony Grant, Shaka Smart, Will Wade all left for greener pastures .... gimmeabreak. But relax, spoiled Rams' fans, VCU will win 25 games next season regardless who the coach is. VCU is in an almost no-lose situation at the very tip top of the second level of college hoops. It's not about the money. If you're a big leaguer, you want to play in the big leagues.

I’d be more worried about Notre Dame than Georgetown. That said, I don’t think he’s going anywhere. Mike started as an assistant at Macon in 1996. That means he’s spent 24 of the last 27 years in the Richmond area. I have no idea what Mike is thinking, but I’d be shocked if he left to take another job.
My very uninformed take on this is that Jodie would not be happy.

There has been talk about Shrewberry (sp) being a candidate for a couple of jobs. Wonder if PennSt would be interest in Rhoades........and it is in PA.

On the other hand, I really don't think he wants to leave even after all the negative talk in the Fall. He has basically an adult lifetime in this area with family and friends.

I don't know if I could handle us losing yet another coach to a blue-blood football school.

There has been talk about Shrewberry (sp) being a candidate for a couple of jobs. Wonder if PennSt would be interest in Rhoades........and it is in PA.

On the other hand, I really don't think he wants to leave even after all the negative talk in the Fall. He has basically an adult lifetime in this area with family and friends.
Is Shrewsberry goin' somewhere? Word is PSU is extending him long term

Back