Players 2023-24 Roster Thread

How about there were no qualified players available. Is he supposed to waste a scholarship on a guy just to fill in the roster and make you have one less thing to nancy about?
I’ve said my peace about the local quartet and package deal that was attempted. However, what I think hurt Odom (and us) was his coming from a job 2,000 miles away. If he had been at a job on the east coast, or better yet the mid-Atlantic, he would have likely had better reach with kids interested in coming to VCU.

He did his best. I still think he should have taken a flyer on someone with a remaining scholarship not used. Maybe could have gotten someone able for our early needs of not having limited players. I think O is ok with our roster is now and I'm too.

VCU's roster problems this year are not due to not filling all available scholarships. It's due to injuries/suspensions to 3 of it's best players. (Bairstow/Jackson/Bamisile) I read somewhere yesterday that Coach Odom has only had his full complement of players this season for 7 games. This team is getting ready to play its 23rd game of the season tonight and Bairstow is still a game day/time decision.

Hard to win consistently when you have only had all of your best players available 7 out of 22 games.

VCU's roster problems this year are not due to not filling all available scholarships. It's due to injuries/suspensions to 3 of it's best players. (Bairstow/Jackson/Bamisile) I read somewhere yesterday that Coach Odom has only had his full complement of players this season for 7 games. This team is getting ready to play its 23rd game of the season tonight and Bairstow is still a game day/time decision.

Hard to win consistently when you have only had all of your best players available 7 out of 22 games.

Incorrect

Incorrect

Incorrect? How so?

Games missed due to injuries/ineligible:
Bairstow has missed 13 games. (10.8 ppg/4.3 rpg/43 assists)
Bamisile has missed 10 games. (12.8 ppg/3.4 rpg)
Jackson has missed 2 games. (Both games were when both Bairstow and Bamisile were active/played. (11.9 ppg/4.3 rpg/76 assists)
Nelson has missed 1 game. (6.5 ppg/46 assists)

That's also 10 out of 22 games without 2 of your top scorers playing. (Bairstow/Bamisile)

Last edited:
RO and staff have done a great job assembling this year’s team, which still has not reached its potential. The only second guessing I reflect on is why we didn’t fill all scholarships, and why we offered Wheeler? All other offers seem spot on. Our problem is lack of D1 playing experience more than a lack of talent. This team started slow and has gaps to fill, but can win A10 tournament and the first round of NCAA. We may want immediate gratification but patience is more likely RN virtue. Unfortunately, some folks don’t like change.

Roster construction and player usage aside, the two or three fundamental issues I see that have really cost us in games is the reliance on and the excessive volume of 3 point shooting, bad shot selection and inability or unwillingness to drive and get to the hoop down the stretch. We are a good FT shooting group and yet we have let leads slip away all year due to both of those factors. Not sure if it’s a coaching issue or a freedom to play and hope for the best mentality or what but it’s been the biggest reason for most of our losses.

Incorrect? How so?

Games missed due to injuries/ineligible:
Bairstow has missed 13 games. (10.8 ppg/4.3 rpg/43 assists)
Bamisile has missed 10 games. (12.8 ppg/3.4 rpg)
Jackson has missed 2 games. (Both games were when both Bairstow and Bamisile were active/played. (11.9 ppg/4.3 rpg/76 assists)
Nelson has missed 1 game. (6.5 ppg/46 assists)

That's also 10 out of 22 games without 2 of your top scorers playing. (Bairstow/Bamisile)
When he speaks (he’s kind of like EF Hutton), he’s going to say that the players brought in, without consideration to injuries, were inadequate for the level of play that we strive for.

I don’t think he’s altogether wrong on that analysis. However, it doesn’t diminish the significance of the injuries and ineligibility of Bam. That’s true as well.

Last edited:
Roster construction and player usage aside, the two or three fundamental issues I see that have really cost us in games is the reliance on and the excessive volume of 3 point shooting, bad shot selection and inability or unwillingness to drive and get to the hoop down the stretch. We are a good FT shooting group and yet we have let leads slip away all year due to both of those factors. Not sure if it’s a coaching issue or a freedom to play and hope for the best mentality or what but it’s been the biggest reason for most of our losses.
Probably a bit of both, I would say. Our inside game for our bigs is not great at times....it is inconsistent between games so we shoot more threes. We have some decent perimeter scorers.....so they shoot more 3's. And one of the selling points to Odom was because his teams shot more and shot better from 3......so they shoot more 3's.
And I too have been frustrated that we don't get more drives to the bucket. But that was what MR did....more drives to the basket. Based on the games I have watched this season (most of them), it seems Odom's scheme most involves driving into the lane and then look for the kickout 3 pointer rather than going in for the layup.....thus more 3 point shots. There have been times the lane opens up after we drive into the lane but we still kickout for 3 pointer
So, I think it is a little of both...players we have and Odom's offensive schemes. If it wins games, great......and we have done OK this first year. I just hate dying by the 3 when it happens.

When he speaks (he’s kind of like EF Hutton), he’s going to say that the players brought in, without consideration to injuries, were inadequate for the level of play that we strive for.

I don’t think he’s altogether wrong on that analysis. However, it doesn’t diminish the significance of the injuries and ineligibility of Bam. That’s true as well.

Also, prior to Bamisile being eligible for the Temple game, VCU's record was 5-5. Bairstow became eligible the next game against UMES. Since Bamisile became eligible, VCU's record is 10-3. And I think it is safe to say, if those two players are available for any of those 5 losses prior to the Temple game, VCU may have won 1 or 2 those games they lost.

Also, prior to Bamisile being eligible for the Temple game, VCU's record was 5-5. Bairstow became eligible the next game against UMES. Since Bamisile became eligible, VCU's record is 10-3. And I think it is safe to say, if those two players are available for any of those 5 losses prior to the Temple game, VCU may have won 1 or 2 those games they lost.
Not to mention that other than the McNeese State loss, all of those losses were by 5 points or less. Although it's hard to say how the Orlando tournament would have gone (since we would have had a different set of opponents if we'd beaten Iowa State), I'm pretty sure we don't lose to Memphis or Norfolk State if we're at full strength for those games.

Not to mention that other than the McNeese State loss, all of those losses were by 5 points or less. Although it's hard to say how the Orlando tournament would have gone (since we would have had a different set of opponents if we'd beaten Iowa State), I'm pretty sure we don't lose to Memphis or Norfolk State if we're at full strength for those games.

You can't say we don't lose to Memphis or Norfolk State at full strength when we lost to GW at full strength.

You can't say we don't lose to Memphis or Norfolk State at full strength when we lost to GW at full strength.
GW is 177 per Torvik, NSU is 237. Maybe that's close enough for a push, but if you asked me which team was better overall I'd probably say GW.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go bleach my eyes after seeing those numbers associated with home losses.

Back