Players 2023-24 Roster Thread

I think he is an X factor. Someone stated last year that KW had stated that he was a bit timid. That assessment was dismissed. I think KW was correct.

I also think Fats has what it takes to be a very good VCU player and his year on the team while maintaining his year of eligibility will pay dividends.

Again, X factor as Fats has time to grow into his position.
That was me. I spoke to Kendrick before last season about his opinions on the roster. He did not use the word timid. He said he is the kind of player that lets the game come to him. He thought he needed to be more aggressive. He said he would be a good VCU player but it would take some time.

Fats Billups is someone that people do not talk about too much. He is a 4⭐️ highly touted recruit. 6'7 2-guard. His jumper looked fluid early in the year. He was lost on D but on offense he was trending in a good direction. His hand/wrist injury derailed his freshman growth on the court. I wonder what role he will play in Odom's offense where he likes the players to spread the floor looking for open shots especially from 3.
Seems like Fats would be a good fit in Odom's Euro offense. From high school to the little he played last year we know he can shoot it. Can he attack the rim and finish through contact, deliver the ball to teammates when the door is closed to him? As more minutes come, I think Fats has a chance to play a big part on this team.

Fats Billups is someone that people do not talk about too much. He is a 4⭐️ highly touted recruit. 6'7 2-guard. His jumper looked fluid early in the year. He was lost on D but on offense he was trending in a good direction. His hand/wrist injury derailed his freshman growth on the court. I wonder what role he will play in Odom's offense where he likes the players to spread the floor looking for open shots especially from 3.
I'm hopefully he finds a good role in the new offense and there's undoubtedly a lot of potential there. Though I'd push back on that he was trending in a good direction on offense since he only made one basket all year and that was against Jacksonville. I didn't see enough of him to get a real opinion.

I'm hopefully he finds a good role in the new offense and there's undoubtedly a lot of potential there. Though I'd push back on that he was trending in a good direction on offense since he only made one basket all year and that was against Jacksonville. I didn't see enough of him to get a real opinion.
He has a nice shooting motion. I kind of remember a nice dunk. Maybe that was in the B&G game. He looked good out there to me.

He has a nice shooting motion. I kind of remember a nice dunk. Maybe that was in the B&G game. He looked good out there to me.

I remember the Jax FG well. It was from the elbow and it was a swish. I really should use my memory bank for more important things like birthdays and anniversaries. Right elbow, East end of the court to be precise.

I remember the Jax FG well. It was from the elbow and it was a swish. I really should use my memory bank for more important things like birthdays and anniversaries. Right elbow, East end of the court to be precise.
You have lost a bunch of brain cells over the years 🤣

That was me. I spoke to Kendrick before last season about his opinions on the roster. He did not use the word timid. He said he is the kind of player that lets the game come to him. He thought he needed to be more aggressive. He said he would be a good VCU player but it would take some time.
I guess there are different conversations being held.

Agreed I think it's a matter of him figuring out how to get to his spots. A 6'7 wing in HS (especially in RVA area if you're not playing a national schedule) can pretty much score at will. He was just able to shoot over everyone, which is why it was easy to let the game come to him. He's not as naturally aggressive as say Jamir who had no problem getting his shots up even as a freshman. I think Odom's offense will open up the floor for cutting lanes for him and letting him operate in space. Just seeing the ball go in the basket to build some confidence and showcase his playmaking some too. Hopefully the summer runs with alums and other pros will help him get a better feel for his spots on the court with dribble pull ups. Really believe he has a Paul George-esque bag that we'll see once the game starts slowing down for him

Agreed I think it's a matter of him figuring out how to get to his spots. A 6'7 wing in HS (especially in RVA area if you're not playing a national schedule) can pretty much score at will. He was just able to shoot over everyone, which is why it was easy to let the game come to him. He's not as naturally aggressive as say Jamir who had no problem getting his shots up even as a freshman. I think Odom's offense will open up the floor for cutting lanes for him and letting him operate in space. Just seeing the ball go in the basket to build some confidence and showcase his playmaking some too. Hopefully the summer runs with alums and other pros will help him get a better feel for his spots on the court with dribble pull ups. Really believe he has a Paul George-esque bag that we'll see once the game starts slowing down for him
I am not sure about the Paul George-esque. I'd be willing to see a Willie Taylor-esque bag.

In any event, its tough for a guy who was the man, to find himself and his game when he isnt the man . I think in this case Fats issue is that he doesnt have the confidence to do the things he can without fear of being pulled.

The issue, he isnt the best player on his team most in most lineups and certainly not the best on the floor. He has got to figure out how to shine in a set offense when he isnt the first option. He's gotta learn to do things other than demand the ball and watch it go in the hoop.

Good news is he's got at least another year to find his way. He will be fine as long as he doesnt press.

So we still have two roster spots that have not been officially filled. Some have suggested for almost the last 2 months that we have a german-american on board but as yet, nothing is official. Then we have one more spot. Any ideas on the last spot....or the two last spots. Players should start arriving on campus in only 11 days.

So we still have two roster spots that have not been officially filled. Some have suggested for almost the last 2 months that we have a german-american on board but as yet, nothing is official. Then we have one more spot. Any ideas on the last spot....or the two last spots. Players should start arriving on campus in only 11 days.
The current thinking is that Odom may be holding that last spot for a late addition or in case Bamisile doesn't get his waiver. There are still TONS of kids in the transfer portal looking for spots. He could also grab a late high school recruit. If I recall, Bones didn't commit to VCU until June. Also, don't forget that McAllister is still floating around in the transfer portal. Maybe he comes back for another try. He would fill a spot similar to Bamisile, although I doubt he'd get much playing time.

The current thinking is that Odom may be holding that last spot for a late addition or in case Bamisile doesn't get his waiver. There are still TONS of kids in the transfer portal looking for spots. He could also grab a late high school recruit. If I recall, Bones didn't commit to VCU until June. Also, don't forget that McAllister is still floating around in the transfer portal. Maybe he comes back for another try. He would fill a spot similar to Bamisile, although I doubt he'd get much playing time.
It's surprising that McAllister is still available. You would think some low major would jump at the chance to roll the dice on him unless he's trying to land at a higher level program and isn't finding any takers.

It's surprising that McAllister is still available. You would think some low major would jump at the chance to roll the dice on him unless he's trying to land at a higher level program and isn't finding any takers.
While I thought he'd get picked up, I'm not terribly surprised. One knee injuries can derail a career. Multiple knee injuries can ruin one. His speed and lateral movement probably suffered dramatically.

Back