Recruiting 2023 Justin McBride: VCU in final cut list

"Fair warning for the six schools that made Justin McBride’s final list: Don’t rest on your laurels.

Of the many attributes that make the 6'7" forward a must-have prospect for Kansas State, Santa Clara, VCU, Oklahoma State, Missouri and Arizona State, he counts his studying prowess as chief among those.

And, no, not in the cliché “student of the game” throwaway quote way. McBride has logged multiple man hours to support his claim.

“A lot of people talk about studying film and things like that, but I really do this,” McBride says. “I’ve seen multiple hours of film on all six of the schools, and I’m just getting started breaking it down. And I watch for everything.”

"
Naturally, McBride intently watches how the system uses his position on both ends of the floor, but it’s the intricate nature of how he studies everything from the huddles to the body language that sets him apart from the pack.

“I look at whether the players and coaches are encouraging each other, how they handle success and how they handle mistakes,” McBride says. “I look at the bench and how together they are. I look at the energy too; that’s big for me. You can tell a lot about a team based on how they handle those little things. It tells a lot about the culture there. I want to be in a system with a positive culture. That’s where I can be my best.”

"First up is Oklahoma State in early September, then Arizona State and Kansas State will follow on consecutive weekends. He’s “still in the process” of setting dates for officials to Santa Clara and VCU and has already visited Missouri.".

"Fair warning for the six schools that made Justin McBride’s final list: Don’t rest on your laurels.

Of the many attributes that make the 6'7" forward a must-have prospect for Kansas State, Santa Clara, VCU, Oklahoma State, Missouri and Arizona State, he counts his studying prowess as chief among those.

And, no, not in the cliché “student of the game” throwaway quote way. McBride has logged multiple man hours to support his claim.

“A lot of people talk about studying film and things like that, but I really do this,” McBride says. “I’ve seen multiple hours of film on all six of the schools, and I’m just getting started breaking it down. And I watch for everything.”

"
Naturally, McBride intently watches how the system uses his position on both ends of the floor, but it’s the intricate nature of how he studies everything from the huddles to the body language that sets him apart from the pack.

“I look at whether the players and coaches are encouraging each other, how they handle success and how they handle mistakes,” McBride says. “I look at the bench and how together they are. I look at the energy too; that’s big for me. You can tell a lot about a team based on how they handle those little things. It tells a lot about the culture there. I want to be in a system with a positive culture. That’s where I can be my best.”

"First up is Oklahoma State in early September, then Arizona State and Kansas State will follow on consecutive weekends. He’s “still in the process” of setting dates for officials to Santa Clara and VCU and has already visited Missouri.".
This is great. It's a big decision he needs to make it carefully. At VCU or somewhere else I hope he finds just the right fit for him to thrive.

Back