2024-25 Opponent Tracking

names are important to drive home attendance in OOC - the names Odom brought to the Stu last year are not the type of schools that encourage non season ticket holders to buy a ticket (remember MR arranged the Temple and Memphis H&H, all the other non MTE games were set by Odom)
As marketing goes, you are correct. I know a couple people have made the marketing point and I agree that names mattter. However, a large group has been making the argument related to post season play and I stand by my statement that the schedules for some time have been just fine to get VCU into the postseason.

We could possibly get a few more "name brand" teams on the schedule if we were willing to play more road games. I asked a year or two back if people would be willing to make the same contributions and pay the same ticket price for fewer home games if it meant more P4 road games and obviously most people said no. Until the middle tier conference form a coalition of some kind, gettin top 150 teams to come to the Stu on a regular basis is going to be sparse. Neutral site games are our best shot at P4 teams currently and its going to be the bottom of P4 conference that are willing to do that.

Last edited:
I think the mistake many VCU fans make is they look at second tier P4 schools and think they are worse than VCU and will not help VCU regarding "Q" opportunities/wins. That's just not the case. And, if VCU plays those schools, you still have to beat them.
agree!

A second tier big 4 is still normally with a NET between 60 and 125 by the end of the regular season

my major point with BC is I wish we played them at Chestnut Hill this year to give us a better chance for a Tier 1 game ( NET no higher than 75) as opposed to neutral court game where a Tier 1 game can be no higher than a NET of 50

I think we are far more seasoned than BC because we return the bulk of our lineup and our portal pickups are 5th year players (Clark 6th year) - I don't worry about playing true road games against top 100 teams - we have always been a good road team

Tier 1 and 2 games help the most as we know (wins a whole bunch and losses to Tier 1 don't hurt at all IMO) - Tier 4 wins probably help very little and Tier 4 losses can be catastrophic (norfolk st and GW last season)

Reactions: HBK
I didn't say we're going to win or anything, but based on pure metrics this field appears to be weaker than most. I know last year's NET is no indication of how teams will be this year but the average 23-24 NET of the known teams in this year's Charleston Classic is 92.5. The average 22-23 NET of last year's ESPN Events Invitational was 48.6.

You still have to play the games and wins are more important than losses. If the field is actually weaker, then just maybe VCU can perform better and at least make it to a championship game. 3-0 or 2-1 is still better than the usual 1-2 that VCU normally puts up in these tournaments.

You still have to play the games and wins are more important than losses. If the field is actually weaker, then just maybe VCU can perform better and at least make it to a championship game. 3-0 or 2-1 is still better than the usual 1-2 that VCU normally puts up in these tournaments.
Fair point.

And. And it's a big 'and'. lets win the Charleston MTE! We haven't won one since the 70's RT-D Invitational.

And. And it's a big 'and'. lets win the Charleston MTE! We haven't won one since the 70's RT-D Invitational.

Actually, the last MTE VCU won was their own tournament in December 2010 when they beat Wofford and New Hampshire to take the title. It was called the Richmond Marriott Holidays on the Hardwood Classic. The other team in the tournament was Cornell.

Last edited:
Controversial take (but it's fact):

It's better to play in a MTE where you have 3 Q1 games and go 1-2 than go 3-0 in a MTE with say 1 Q2 and a couple of Q3 opponents.

Case in point: in 2013 that's exactly what happened in the B4A. We beat Memphis (who ended up a 6 seed in the NCAAT) then lost close games to Duke and Mizzou. The 2 losses didn't hurt us and the win against Memphis was the signature victory that carried us to a 5 seed.

why? I am curious - to me BC is a litte like PSU in Big 10 or Vandy in SEC - more often than not a lower tier team in a P5 Now P4 conference with NETs from 70 to 150 in most seasons

But at least it will be either a Tier 2 (likely) or Tier 3 (possibly but not likely) game - would have preferred we played them at BC to bring Tier 1 game into equation if BC somehow surprises this season - early in season I like our chances in OOC on road against teams with our experience returning

I do like the fact that it is in Annapolis and our fans can easily travel their and support our Rams

from looking at their roster, BC lost through transfer or graduation their top 6 players from 23-24 season ( as far as games in OOC last year BC lost to Loyola Chicago by single digits (3) on neutral court last season and we know Loyola was a top 4 in our conference and beat Richmond at BC by 7)

Barring any additional pickups via portal, they will be relying upon a transfer from UMBC and Venning from St Bonnies to lead their team in 24-25 and a couple of returners that got around 10-14 minutes a game (strong guy mentioned by AA above was one of those two guys)
I guess the difference between BC and PSU is that BC was good at one time. PSU was never good.

It's better to play in a MTE where you have 3 Q1 games and go 1-2 than go 3-0 in a MTE with say 1 Q2 and a couple of Q3 opponents.

Case in point: in 2013 that's exactly what happened in the B4A. We beat Memphis (who ended up a 6 seed in the NCAAT) then lost close games to Duke and Mizzou. The 2 losses didn't hurt us and the win against Memphis was the signature victory that carried us to a 5 seed.
Probably Shaka's best team, top to bottom. Should've been a second weekend team for sure.

I would still rather be 2-1 or 3-0 in an MTE tournament. At some point you also have to show your ability to win games against tougher OOC competition. That's probably also why VCU has only made it to the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament only once, and that was 2011.

Regarding MTE opponents hurting VCU when it comes to strength of schedule, MTE opponents are the last teams VCU needs to worry about. Every year when people start talking about bad losses for VCU, MTE teams are never part of the conversation. It's always other losses that people pile on like Norfolk State, Jacksonville , Wagner or Chattanooga. And every year recently has had at least one of those bad losses.

Charleston is winnable, right? Looking at the last few years, we have a better chance in this one, right?

As marketing goes, you are correct. I know a couple people have made the marketing point and I agree that names mattter. However, a large group has been making the argument related to post season play and I stand by my statement that the schedules for some time have been just fine to get VCU into the postseason.

We could possibly get a few more "name brand" teams on the schedule if we were willing to play more road games. I asked a year or two back if people would be willing to make the same contributions and pay the same ticket price for fewer home games if it meant more P4 road games and obviously most people said no. Until the middle tier conference form a coalition of some kind, gettin top 150 teams to come to the Stu on a regular basis is going to be sparse. Neutral site games are our best shot at P4 teams currently and its going to be the bottom of P4 conference that are willing to do that.
It's not like we aren't trying. Odom said we tried to schedule a game at Duke last season and it just didn't work out.

Reactions: TGR
I would still rather be 2-1 or 3-0 in an MTE tournament. At some point you also have to show your ability to win games against tougher OOC competition. That's probably also why VCU has only made it to the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament only once, and that was 2011.

Regarding MTE opponents hurting VCU when it comes to strength of schedule, MTE opponents are the last teams VCU needs to worry about. Every year when people start talking about bad losses for VCU, MTE teams are never part of the conversation. It's always other losses that people pile on like Norfolk State, Jacksonville , Wagner or Chattanooga. And every year recently has had at least one of those bad losses.
How in the world do you consider Chattanooga a "bad loss". They went 27-7 and won their conference tournament and lost to 4th seeded Illinois by one in the first round of the tournament. Two of the wins were non D1. They finished #63 in the NET. Thats a Quad 2 loss. Lumping Chattanooga in with Norfolk St, Jax and Wagner is ludicrous.

Last edited:
Back