2024-25 Roster Thread

Here we go again. Same format as last year. Hopefully with a little less action the first week. Not making any assumptions about who may be returning until they have either indicated that they are coming back or the portal closes on May 1st. I will edit this post daily if things are changing to keep the most recent info at the top. With that being said let's have a great off season and put together a roster that can win the A10!

2023-24 Roster

Fr. Michael Belle
RS Fr. Fats Billups
RS Fr. Obinnaya Okafor
So. Tobi Lawal
So. Christian Fermin
So. Jason Nelson
Jr. Roosevelt Wheeler
Sr. Max Shulga
Sr. Zeb Jackson
Sr. Connor Odom-Walk On
Sr. Joe Bamisile
Sr. Kuany Kuany
Sr. Sean Bairstow

Out Of Eligibility

Sr. Kuany Kuany
Sr. Sean Bairstow

Recruits Signed

Brandon Jennings

Portal Out

Jason Nelson
Roosevelt Wheeler
Tobi Lawal
Max Shulga

Portal In

2024-25 Roster

Fr. Brandon Jennings - Signed 11/10/23
5th Yr. Sr. Joe Bamisile - Indicated He Is Returning
5th Yr. Sr. Zeb Jackson - Indicated He Is Returning

3 of 13 Scholarships

Last edited:
All of this is true. I do wonder whether a more proactive NCAA could have pieced together a solution that would have survived legal challenge.

The staff of the NCAA are servants to the Conferences and Institutions who by way are the servants of the Media Overlords. Who benefits most from the constant turnover and year over year intrigue of team building approaches…..who is hedged across the various conferences and wins no matter who wins. This is the NBA, NFL, constant news cycle model in real life…..the NCAA wasn’t proactive because there was no benefit to doing so, they are now evolving the business model and breaking the chains of faux “academic” and “amateur” traditions. It’s not their fault, the courts are saying the old model is broken…..money wins.

Now for the two being encouraged to move on or have diminished roles. I think it’s pretty obvious who they are so no need to name them but I will say this. One of them is probably making max NIL money and probably doesn’t have a lot of suitors.
That’s an interesting comment. What do you mean as “max”?

If the collective is providing significant NIL money to either, they are not running things very well IMO.

That’s an interesting comment. What do you mean as “max”?

If the collective is providing significant NIL money to either, they are not running things very well IMO.

Max as in maximum value. I believe NIL in his case is working as designed. He is getting a check because he is well known and a city of Richmond hometown hero. On3 has a valuation method that has two main components. Roster Value and NIL. His roster value is basically 0 so he has to depend almost exclusively on NI. There is no way his market value is any higher anywhere outside of the city of Richmond. I guess one could argue that he could play across the street at VUU but then his exposure goes down and I think his NIL would decrease in value as well. So by max, I don't see any scenario that allows him to make more than he currently does

Max as in maximum value. I believe NIL in his case is working as designed. He is getting a check because he is well known and a city of Richmond hometown hero. On3 has a valuation method that has two main components. Roster Value and NIL. His roster value is basically 0 so he has to depend almost exclusively on NI. There is no way his market value is any higher anywhere outside of the city of Richmond. I guess one could argue that he could play across the street at VUU but then his exposure goes down and I think his NIL would decrease in value as well. So by max, I don't see any scenario that allows him to make more than he currently does

Must agree with most of what Tampa says ... however, if you are VUU coach Jay Butler, you could make this persuading proposition to a big man with a wandering eye:

"Come to VUU, On the Road to the NBA"

Charles Oakley, NBA 1985 to '04
Terry Davis, NBA 1989 to '01
Ben Wallace, NBA 1996 to '12 (Naismith Hall of Fame)

Hard topping that.

PS: so you know, Jay Butler was the point guard when Wallace was there .... they played against the Rams on 1-21-95 ... VCU overcame early deficit to win 62-59 at a fairly packed Coliseum.

It has been a week since our season ended and as far as we know, nobody in the portal yet. Wonder if Odom can keep the entire roster intact?

Must agree with most of what Tampa says ... however, if you are VUU coach Jay Butler, you could make this persuading proposition to a big man with a wandering eye:

"Come to VUU, On the Road to the NBA"

Charles Oakley, NBA 1985 to '04
Terry Davis, NBA 1989 to '01
Ben Wallace, NBA 1996 to '12 (Naismith Hall of Fame)

Hard topping that.

PS: so you know, Jay Butler was the point guard when Wallace was there .... they played against the Rams on 1-21-95 ... VCU overcame early deficit to win 62-59 at a fairly packed Coliseum.
I would be nice to get back to those glory days for VUU. I have a ton of connections so I am always rooting for their success. I have known Jay and Ben since their playing days. Another good friend is on the coaching staff currently and Terry and I have been friends since 10th grade so amny connections

Okay, it's Wednesday 4/4, the season is over, the team has been home for a few days now and we haven't heard any news of anyone diving into the portal. Doesn't mean it won't happen (probably will) but at least our guys are taking some time and thinking it over, where some teams have had a mass exodus the day after the season was over. Still hoping we keep a good nucleus, plus add a few from the portal where we have needs.

Okay, it's Wednesday 4/4, the season is over, the team has been home for a few days now and we haven't heard any news of anyone diving into the portal. Doesn't mean it won't happen (probably will) but at least our guys are taking some time and thinking it over, where some teams have had a mass exodus the day after the season was over. Still hoping we keep a good nucleus, plus add a few from the portal where we have needs.
The portal is blowing up today so I imagine if anything's going to happen, it's going to happen soon.

It is definitely encouraging that no one jumped immediately. At minimum, Odom managed to get them to think about their decision. Very, very hard to believe that no one is portaling.

I’m not sure that’s a good thing. I honestly think some players are out of their league but he’s the coach and that’s his call I guess
Odom will meet with the players but ultimately it's the player's decision whether or not to enter the portal.

It is definitely encouraging that no one jumped immediately. At minimum, Odom managed to get them to think about their decision. Very, very hard to believe that no one is portaling.

In the short time that the NCAA has been the wild west, there are legions of stories pertaining to players leaving a spot where they got minutes to go to a spot where, Yes, they are getting NIL monies, but the minutes aren't there.

No minutes?
Hard to sell yourself to a European league...plain and simple

I work with a guy who coached for a decade at a local high school in the ShenVal. He has a former player who went to Va Tech, got a cup of coffee in the NBA, and now has been playing in Europe and abroad since 2013....Coach told me that this player said to him that he and his wife and kids won't ever have to really worry about money because he has done so well playing abroad (and invested well).
Didn't give me actual numbers...but dude has played in Spain/Greece/Turkey/China and in the Euroleague and in the Euro Cup....there is NO WAY you're gonna get there sitting on the bench of some P4 team.....no way....especially with the limitations that foreign leagues put on American players going abroad.

If a bunch of out of shape jackanapes and ninnyhammers like us are talking about this?? You KNOW the players are....so you gotta think long and hard about leaving your spot for the unknown....I'm SURE the coach at Iowa St told Hason that he was gonna get minutes or MSS at Texas Tech, or Jalen DeLoach at Ga, et al....But if I promise Hason minutes and money...and then I can get Osun Osunniyi??? Hason can keep the cash and ride the bench for all I care.....I have a team to build and football money to SPEND.

Actually it’s 4/3, so maybe tomorrow the portal blows up.

Back