2024-25 Roster Thread

Here we go again. Same format as last year. Hopefully with a little less action the first week. Not making any assumptions about who may be returning until they have either indicated that they are coming back or the portal closes on May 1st. I will edit this post daily if things are changing to keep the most recent info at the top. With that being said let's have a great off season and put together a roster that can win the A10!

2023-24 Roster

Fr. Michael Belle
RS Fr. Fats Billups
RS Fr. Obinnaya Okafor
So. Tobi Lawal
So. Christian Fermin
So. Jason Nelson
Jr. Roosevelt Wheeler
Sr. Max Shulga
Sr. Zeb Jackson
Sr. Connor Odom-Walk On
Sr. Joe Bamisile
Sr. Kuany Kuany
Sr. Sean Bairstow

Out Of Eligibility

Sr. Kuany Kuany
Sr. Sean Bairstow

Recruits Signed

Brandon Jennings
Luke Bamgboye
Terrence Hill

Portal Out

Jason Nelson - Youngstown State
Roosevelt Wheeler - ETSU
Tobi Lawal - VPI
Max Shulga - Villanova

Portal In

Jack Clark - From Clemson
Phillip Russell - From UTA
Jamarii Thomas - From Norfolk State

2024-25 Roster

Fr. Brandon Jennings
Fr. Luke Bamgboye
Fr. Terrence Hill
RS Fr. Obinnaya Okafor
So. Michael Belle
RS So. Fats Billups
Jr. Christian Fermin
Jr. Phillip Russell
5th Yr. Sr. Joe Bamisile
5th Yr. Sr. Zeb Jackson
5th Yr. Sr. Max Shulga
7th Yr. Sr. Jack Clark

12 of 13 Scholarships

Last edited:
Where did he receive "scholarships?"

Pellot-Rosa yes ... Hinton? Not so much. He did contribute to the win over UCLA.

Carmack wins the "all-time walk-on award," getting recruited by Kirk out of VCU IMs even though Wes, at the time, was living at VUU and came to Richmond planning to play for Union.
He was offered by Hampton when he came out of high school. I’m not sure of anyone else. There was rumored interest from Harvard, but I don’t think he was actually offered.

If your players don't develop then you won't be good. Extremely detailed groundbreaking analysis by Ramnation 🤣
Not really in today’s NIL/Portal world. Two ways to be good. Buy the player at their going bag rate or develop players from your bench.

People love Rudy
29nnds.gif

He was offered by Hampton when he came out of high school. I’m not sure of anyone else. There was rumored interest from Harvard, but I don’t think he was actually offered.

HU sounds reasonable .... but the word "scholarship" sometimes needs further detail ... perhaps VCU offered a "financial package" that wasn't too unlike an athletic scholarship .... certainly, he might be in line for academic aid if he was worthy of Ivy League recruitment.

5/20/24

The 2024-2025 roster currently has three distinct tiers (10 players):

Tier 1 (Seniors) - 5'10" Russell, 6'4" Bamisile, 6'5" Jackson, 6'9" Clark
Tier 2 (One-Yr "Experience" Guys) - 6'7" Belle, 6'7" Billups, 6'9" Fermin
Tier 3 (Newbies) - 6'3" Hill, 6'4" Jennings, 6'8" Okafor

Comments:
Tier 1
- our season, right now, will likely go as the Tier 1 guys go. As things currently stand, that's a fairly shallow pool.
Tier 2 - 2 of the 3 (at least) will need to make a "significant" leap in order to properly/effectively supplement the Tier 1 guys
Tier 3 - anything substantial you get from this group is welcome/helpful (but not expected)

Objective:
If the staff wants (and expects) to field an NCAA Tourney-caliber team (generally a Top 50-ish NET team), you usually need eight (8) quality guys to share the heavy lifting.

Examples (comps):
2022-23 (NCAA):
Baldwin, Nunn, Kern, Johns, Deloach, Shriver, Jackson, Watkins
2020-21 (NCAA): Baldwin, Hyland, Williams, Stockard, Douglas, Ward, Curry, Watkins

Summary:
The staff still has a lot of work to do (regarding roster construction); lots of "capability gaps" to fill (depth, size, strength/muscle, shooting, athleticism, etc).

Last edited:
5/20/24

The 2024-2025 roster currently has three distinct tiers (10 players):

Tier 1 (Seniors) - 5'10" Russell, 6'4" Bamisile, 6'5" Jackson, 6'9" Clark
Tier 2 (One-Yr "Experience" Guys) - 6'7" Belle, 6'7" Billups, 6'9" Fermin
Tier 3 (Newbies) - 6'3" Hill, 6'4" Jennings, 6'8" Okafor

Comments:
Tier 1
- our season, right now, will likely go as the Tier 1 guys go. As things currently stand, that's a fairly shallow pool.
Tier 2 - 2 of the 3 (at least) will need to make a "significant" leap in order to properly/effectively supplement the Tier 1 guys
Tier 3 - anything substantial you get from this group is welcome/helpful (but not expected)

Objective:
If the staff wants (and expects) to field an NCAA Tourney-caliber team (generally a Top 50-ish NET team), you usually need eight (8) quality guys to share the heavy lifting.

Examples (comps):
2022-23 (NCAA):
Baldwin, Nunn, Kern, Johns, Deloach, Shriver, Jackson, Watkins
2020-21 (NCAA): Baldwin, Hyland, Williams, Stockard, Douglas, Ward, Curry, Watkins

Summary:
The staff still has a lot of work to do (regarding roster construction); lots of "capability gaps" to fill (depth, size, strength/muscle, shooting, athleticism, etc).
I just don’t see it. It’s a decent team but I just don’t think we can get to the ncaas next year. We have good enough guard play probably but I just don’t see enough from our bigs unless Clark is a monster for us. Unless we really think we’re just gonna light teams up from three in which case I hope our coaching staff believes we have lights out shooters. Quite simply we were awful at rebounding last year and Clark is only gonna resolve some of that. Fermin does not naturally go hard after rebounds. They were stolen from him constantly. You can’t teach a big guy to be aggressive in college. That’s something you show way before then.

Back